[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-28s ROM

gchow@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) (03/22/90)

In article <996@occrsh.ATT.COM> jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:
>FOR SALE: Hewlett Packard 28s calculator
>          Purchased less than 6 months ago
>          Version 2BB

I have thoughts of getting a 28s but after hearing all about the 48sx's ROMs,
I would like to check out the 28s' ROM.  The big question: how many revisions
have there been of the HP-28s' ROM?  Is there a bug list for each?

George Chow

conte@crest.csg.uiuc.edu (Tom Conte) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar21.204933.4627@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca>,
gchow@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (george kai yee chow) writes:
> In article <996@occrsh.ATT.COM> jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) writes:
> >FOR SALE: Hewlett Packard 28s calculator
> >          Purchased less than 6 months ago
> >          Version 2BB
>
> I have thoughts of getting a 28s but after hearing all about the 48sx's ROMs,
> I would like to check out the 28s' ROM.  The big question: how many revisions
> have there been of the HP-28s' ROM?  Is there a bug list for each?
>
> George Chow

There is only one version of the ROM for the 28S (the 2BB).  I know of no
known bugs.  There were two versions of the ROMs for the 28C: 1BB and 1CC.
You see, the third version was major enough to designate it a new calculator.
The 2BB ROMs are very stable.

There does seem to be a lack of a media blitz by HP.  When the 28C came
out, there was a two-page advertisement in IEEE Spectrum.  I haven't seen
anything like that and I feel a little queezy: are *we* the beta-testers
for this machine?

[ Gag, I really hope the rumors of a bug in the Kermit implementation turn
  out to be false! ]

------
Tom Conte      Center for reliable and High-Performance Computing
               University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois

e-mail:	   conte@csg.uiuc.edu   or   t-conte@uiuc.edu