[comp.sys.handhelds] Checksums

lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (03/20/90)

I think that it's a neat idea that HP desided to put a checksumming program
in the 48s.  But does anybody know if they use the same algorythm as the
trusty checksum that is used for the 28s?  Would the numbers be the same?

----Lance Orner
      lorner @ csuchico.edu

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (03/26/90)

In article <1990Mar19.203010.14701@csuchico.edu> lorner@cscihp.UUCP (Lance Orner) writes:

>I think that it's a neat idea that HP desided to put a checksumming program
>in the 48s.  But does anybody know if they use the same algorythm as the
>trusty checksum that is used for the 28s?  Would the numbers be the same?

The HP-48 checksum is done in hardware, using a CRC algorithm, so the
simple checksum program that has appeared on this network will NOT give
the same results.  The good news is that the CRC version is superior in
speed as well as in its being a good hash function.

Dan Allen