[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48SX -> Apple IIc connection

TDSTRONG@MTUS5.BITNET (Tim Strong) (05/09/90)

     Has anyone out there connected their 48 to an Apple II yet.
 I doubt HP has plans to make a cable for it (not a office computer).
 Any how if someone has managed to make a cable for an Apple II I'd like
 to see how its hooked up, especially if its one made for a IIc.  I'm
 also curious because I'm not sure if the serial port on a IIc gives
 RS232 compatible signals.

 A tiny little complaint as well. Why use a male connector in the calculator?
 The female connector is much more sturdy (no pins to break off).  I'd much
 rather buy a new cable then have to send in my calculator if a pin got bent.

     ___                     Tim Strong  <TDSTRONG@MTUS5.BITNET>
     |__)  _   _|  _   _     Michigan Technological University
     |   (_| (_| (_| |      Houghton, MI  49931
                                        U.S.A.

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (05/10/90)

In article <9005091425.AA26708@hercules.csl.sri.com> TDSTRONG@MTUS5.BITNET (Tim Strong) writes:
> Any how if someone has managed to make a cable for an Apple II I'd like
> to see how its hooked up, especially if its one made for a IIc.

You should be able to do with the Mac connector...it accepts an
8-pin mini-DIN, doesn't it?

> A tiny little complaint as well. Why use a male connector in the calculator?
> The female connector is much more sturdy (no pins to break off).  I'd much
> rather buy a new cable then have to send in my calculator if a pin got bent.

I think you're wrong about this, Tim.  With a properly designed plug
and socket system, you run very little risk of damaging the pins.
More importantly, socket contacts wear, their springs fatigue, and
generally they'll fail much sooner than any pin will.  When they do,
it'll be easier to replace them in the cable than in the calculator.

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	 Systems Research Center, Building 115    (301) 454 1845
hsu@eng.umd.edu  The Maryversity of Uniland, College Park, MD 20742-3311

	Feh.