[comp.sys.handhelds] WARNING! Serious HP48sx Bug

howard@lysator.liu.se (M V Howard) (05/22/90)

gurney@cpsin1.uucp (Eddy J Gurney) writes:

>In article <900515111221.02p@mv2.UCalgary.CA> @ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca, chen%mv4@mv2.UCalgary.CA writes:
>>I've discovered a very serious bug with the HP48SX, at least its serious
>>to me.  When ARCHIVING the contents of my HP48SX through the serial port,
>>I lost all the memory.  I cleared itself during the ARCHIVE.  Fortunately
>>both times, I had made a successful ARCHIVE the day before...so I didn't
>>lose very much.  But, this is a very annoying bug.
>>
>>I have VERSION A of the ROM.

>I, too, experienced the same problem last week. [...]

(A a famous TV and film personality would say...) Interesting. I have a
Rev A ROM HP48-SX too, and have on a number of occasions ARCHIVE'd through
the serial port and had no problems with cleared memory. The contents of
my calc have been kept intact at all occasions.

>I also have a Rev A ROM.  (Read: I couldn't wait to buy one either.)

Seem to recognize the situation ;-).

/MHd

--
Programming isn't a science,         | EMAIL: d89.m-howard@linus.ida.liu.se
it's an art.                         |        howard@elinor.lysator.liu.se

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (05/26/90)

The memory lost right at the end of archiving is a known bug at HP and Mr.
Wickes told me it is in all the ROM versions (A to D).  However, it only
happens if you have the clock display on while archiving.  The fix is
obvious: turn the clock off when archiving.  The program I use to archive
(which also saves the flags in a variable) now turns the clock off.  I
haven't had the problem since.  This also explains why some people have
never seen the bug.  Also, the bug is quite intermittent.  It only happened
to me about four times out of many tens of archives.

Mark Adler
madler@tybalt.caltech.edu