[comp.sys.handhelds] ROM upgrades; creating libraries

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (05/29/90)

In article <543@uni2a.unige.ch> delavier@uni2a.unige.ch writes:

>there seems to be
>some concern about what hp is going to do with new ROM upgrades

I just got a paper from HP Calculator Technical Support Europe
titled "HP 48SX -- ANSWERS to ALL your QUESTIONS".
It doesn't quite keep the promise, but one answer is relevant here:

|Q: I saw that some versions of the HP 48SX have some problems according
|to an addendum card supplied with the product.  Can I work with this
|calculator even if I have the first version?
|
|A: Yes, the problems reported on this addendum card have always a workaround
|that means you are always able to use all the HP 48SX functions.  For people
|who really want these problems corrected, there could be a possibility later
|to get the latest code version, that means the replacement of the machine,
|at a special exchange price.  There will be no exchange on warranty.

Could be.  And if HP repair prices are any indicator of how much the
"special price" is going to be ... sigh.  (I have version A.)

Another interesting answer from the same paper:

|... there will be a utility to create a "Library" from a normal RPL program.

and later there is a reference to "a ROM burner".

Anybody know when these will be available and at what price?
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)