[comp.sys.handhelds] Purpose of 48SX "Solve Equation Library Card"?

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (05/29/90)

I am about to order a HP 48SX and am wondering whether I should also purchase
the "HP Solve Equation Library Application Card".

    *  What exactly is the purpose of this card?
    *  What does it allow me to do that the "Solver" menu does not offer?
    *  I understand that this card contains a Table of Elements.  Would this
       allow me to easily calculate the molecular weight of compounds?

Do any "Step-By-Step Solution Books" exist specifically for the HP 48SX, or do
the books for the 28S apply to the SX as well?  Given that my background in C
programming, is there a book that would teach me the basics of the SX's
programming language, or are the standard reference manuals sufficient?

Thanks for any information...

Michel Biedermann       michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
U. of Oregon

rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) (05/30/90)

Michel,

What's your major?  If it's anything in engineering or physical sciences,
then you will find the Card extremely useful.  If it's chemistry or
electrical engineering, you may find it even better than that.

It contains THE answer to the temperature addition/subtraction problem,
and some other additional units.  It contains dozens of the miserable
physical constants (Rydberg?  who's he?) that crop up on midterms and
finals.  The Periodic Table and the Molecular Weight calculator are so
great, I'd buy the card just for these 2 applications.

(Of course, I'm focusing too narrowly on science & engineering here.
The Card contains nearly every equation used in Halliday & Resnick, but
it also has a whole raft of financial utilities, and a Multiple Equation
Solver.)

Plus it has a cool game.

Ray Depew
HP InkJet Components Operation
BSChE, MSEE -- boy, I wish I'd had one of these things in school!
Just another etc.
----------

apuzzo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (APUZZO ALFONSO A) (05/30/90)

In article <31210027@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) writes:
>(Of course, I'm focusing too narrowly on science & engineering here.
>The Card contains nearly every equation used in Halliday & Resnick, but
>it also has a whole raft of financial utilities, and a Multiple Equation
>Solver.)
>
>Plus it has a cool game.
>
>Ray Depew
>HP InkJet Components Operation
>BSChE, MSEE -- boy, I wish I'd had one of these things in school!
>Just another etc.
>----------

No one (to my meager knowledge) has said anything about complex equation
solving... I know several engineers that are _not_ purchaseing the 48sx
because they don't know if it can find complex roots in a standard sort of
way.

So, does this facility exist in the 48sx or on the eq. card??

thx,

--> Tony <--

*
* Be a non-conformist like me and don't use a .sig at all.
*