[comp.sys.handhelds] Memory Card: Give Us *True* Facts!

howard@lysator.liu.se (M V Howard) (05/22/90)

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) writes:

>HP, as are most companies that are part of western democracies, operate
>based on a free market. This means they will charge whatever prices a
>market will bear. This may be several times the cost of manufacture if
>they offer a unique product that people want, or it may have a very slim
>profit margin if there is a great amount of competition. Yes folks, this
>is done in the name of the "profit motive", something that some people
>seem to think is inherently evil. I disagree. [...]

I couldn't agree with you more. The issue shouldn't be "Bad, bad HP take
$XXX more for an accessory to their massivly fantastic calculator when
compared to someother manufacturers product which is nearly, but not quite,
the same thing...", rather, "Three cheers for HP for bringing this stuff out
on the market at all!!"
   Nor can I but laugh in disbelief at those who complain about the way the
capitalistic free market system works, while at the same time, I strongly
suspect, that the very same people wouldn't have it any other way.
   I also have to agree with those who would like to see Mr Kluge apologize
to those concerned. The fact that someone at HP, officially or unofficially,
wishes to release technical information about their products for free and
for all, rather than sell it at a (high) price should be welcomed. Critisism
is one thing, but to scorn and attempt to riddicule those most generous
people is in my eyes a sign of utter bad taste, especially when taking in
to consideration that the original issue was to warn HP48 owners against
potential damage, thereby *saving* their money !

As for the HP48-SX i have but four words: Way to go, HP !

/MHd

--
Programming isn't a science,         | EMAIL: d89.m-howard@linus.ida.liu.se
it's an art.                         |        howard@elinor.lysator.liu.se

prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) (05/30/90)

>Preston, what is the temperature range, operating and non-operating, for
>the HP48.

The HP48 electronics are speced at a operating temperature of 0 t0 45 deg C
and storage of -20 to 65 deg C.

Preston

prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) (05/30/90)

  >Your tolerances seem to be rather high - five times the specified
  >currents shall be "not uncommon"???
The difference is the drive current of 2mA is at Vol (.5V) and the max
will be much higher when driving 5.0V

  >That doesn't match the previous stating that HP's cards do
  >their shutdown at 4.1 V (as a compare to Epson's 4.2 V)!
HP cards shut down at 3.9 max.

  >wouldn't it be an idea to regulate Vh higher and regulate it
  >downward for all those ICs that don't use higher voltages?
The power supply and I/O are integrated onto a master custom
I/C; the IC's that need the voltage can not exceed 9V.

Preston

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (05/30/90)

In article <25590001@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM> prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) writes:

>The HP48 electronics are speced at a operating temperature of 0 t0 45 deg C
>and storage of -20 to 65 deg C.

I wonder how wide tolerances there are -- what are the chances mine
can't handle -25C?  The 41 was also speced at -20C and up; my vintage
41C lost its memory after five minutes at -25C, but my 41CX could
stand half an hour in -30C with no visible ill effects; whether that's
individual variation or improvement in technology over time I don't know.

Oh well, I guess I can only wait for winter ...

--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)