[comp.sys.handhelds] The hp48sx screen-fade

gt3398b@prism.gatech.EDU (DELANO,ANDREW DOUGLAS) (05/30/90)

For a really neat and weird screen-fade on the 48, do the following:

1.)press <ON><D> then <THE DROP BUTTON>
2.)press <ENTER>
3.)press <D> three times.

press <ON> <C> to get back.

The results are quite weird.  The screen turns black, and the fades
to the top into several dark areas until the calculator appears to be
off.  After on-c is pressed, the same thing happens, but it leaves the
normal screen behind.  Why does this happen? Is it bad for the 48?
Can any use come of it? A mind sick of reading critisisms on Memory
Cards and such would like to know.  Anybody with any Ideas, please
email them or post them.   Thanks

					Andy

--
DELANO,ANDREW DOUGLAS
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt3398b

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (05/30/90)

In article <9909@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3398b@prism.gatech.EDU (DELANO,ANDREW DOUGLAS) writes:
>For a really neat and weird screen-fade on the 48, do the following:
>1.)press <ON><D> then <THE DROP BUTTON>
>2.)press <ENTER>
>3.)press <D> three times.
>The results are quite weird.  The screen turns black, and the fades ...

You are modifying the nybbles used to control the LCD contrast, which are
kept at nybbles 101 (LSN) and 102 (MSN).  The normal range for these
appear to be 03 to 1x, where 'x' is a small digit, the maximum escapes
me at the moment (I don't have my 48 handy).  I don't know if going
beyond the normal range is harmful or not, but user beware!
--
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000

prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) (05/31/90)

Actually, you are putting the display controller into test mode.  This
is used for hardware testing during the IC manufacturing; its not designed
to be used by the user.  This is not a really good thing to do to your
calculator because it puts a DC bias onto the display.  If you left it like
that for a long time it may dammage your display.

The area from 0100-013F in memory are the hardware control registers
100 - [DON OFF2 OFF1 OFF0]        Display on, bit offset
101 - [CON3 CON2 CON1 CON0]       display contrast control
102 - [VDIG LID TRIM CON4]        display test and high contrast bit.
                     VDIG LID and LTRIM should be left 0.

Preston