[comp.sys.handhelds] Questions about HP48SX ROM revisions.

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (05/29/90)

Well, I'm soon to be the owner of an HP-48SX, which I ordered a few weeks ago.
Anyway, I have several questions about the ROM revisions I keep hearing about.

1: Everyone seems to have ROM Rev. A.  Does any other revision even exist yet?

2: When a new ROM revision is released, what kind of upgrade path is available,
and how much can one expect to pay for it?

3: This last may be a dumb question, since it may be marked on the calculator,
or more likely the manual tells you how to find this out, but since I don't
have the thing yet, I thought I'd ask how you identify which revision you have?

Thanks!

 Steve Snodgrass - Ph'ran |SUBTEC - Student Union Board Technical Services|
Green Rider of Telgar Weyr|Turbosound - the only way to fly.    TMS-4     |
--------------------------|-----------------------------------------------|
GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu|"Right to the heart of the matter/Right to the |
GRX1042@uoft02.BITNET     | beautiful part/Illusions are painfully        |
uoft02::GRX1042 (DECnet)  | shattered/Right where discovery starts" -Rush |

darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (05/29/90)

In comp.sys.handhelds, grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes:

> 1: Everyone seems to have ROM Rev. A.  Does any other revision even
> exist yet?

     I've seen and played with a 48SX with a ROM Version "C".  I've
heard (in comp.sys.handhelds) that version "D" exists, but I haven't
seen one.

> 3: This last may be a dumb question, since it may be marked on the
> calculator, or more likely the manual tells you how to find this out,
> but since I don't have the thing yet, I thought I'd ask how you
> identify which revision you have?

     Instructions are at the end of this message.  These instructions
were originally posted here some time back.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	darrylo%hpnmd@hpcea

From: madler@tybalt.caltech.edu (Mark Adler)
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 1990 03:19:51 GMT
Subject: Re: hp48sx ROM revision
Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds

I neglected to say in the ROM bug listing how to tell the ROM revision.
Here's how:

1. Turn the calculator on (press ON and then release).

2. Press ON again, and while holding it down, hit the "D"
   key (the fourth white key in the top row) and then release
   the ON key.  You should get three vertical lines in the
   display, one down the middle.

3. Hit the backspace key (it says DROP and CLR over it).
   You should get some meaningless hexadecimal in the first
   line of the display.  (Mine says 705D9:1B8D...).

4. Press and hold down the EVAL key.  It should say:

      Version HP48-*
      Copyright HP 1989

   where the * is an uppercase letter (A, B, etc.) indicating
   the ROM version.

5. Release the EVAL key.  Hold down ON and hit "C" (the third
   white key in the top row.  This is a general reset
   operation that returns the calculator to normal from the
   diagnostic stuff (which is where ON-D puts you).

I'd be very interested if anyone gets anything but revision A.

Mark Adler
madler@hamlet.caltech.edu

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/29/90)

In article <1990May28.143516.459@uoft02.utoledo.edu>,
grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes:

> 1: Everyone seems to have ROM Rev. A.  Does any other revision even
exist yet?

I have ROM rev. C. There aren't too many differences (but a few. The
matrix >= 8x8 inversion problem still is there, but several minor bugs,
like KERMIT handling file size 0 and other things seem to be fixed)

I also have a 32kb RAM card (HP original) and a mac interface, and I'm
very pleased with both. If I ever get to making a decent non-cryptic
version of the time-manager software I'm hacking on, I'll post it here.

> 3: This last may be a dumb question, since it may be marked on the
calculator,
> or more likely the manual tells you how to find this out, but since I don't
> have the thing yet, I thought I'd ask how you identify which revision
you have?

ON-D
<-
EVAL

ON-C to restore.

					h+

   ---  Stay alert !  -  Trust no one !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
             h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte
                    longer .sig available on request

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (05/30/90)

In article <1570003@hpnmdla.HP.COM> darrylo@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:

>I'd be very interested if anyone gets anything but revision A.

I just found out mine is a revision C.  Thanks for posting the instructions.

I got mine two weeks ago from EduCALC.  It still has the Kermit "Arrow" bug and
the 8x8 matrix inversion bug.  A page of "Important operating tips" mentions a
few others, such as transferring a zero-length file with KGET may clear memory.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

herman@corpane.UUCP (Harry Herman) (05/30/90)

I have had my HP48 since mid April, and it is a Rev B ROM.

I have seen a lot of people asking if HP will offer ROM upgrades,
but so far, HP has remained silent.

To find out the Rev. level, you have to do the following:
   1) Turn the calculator on.
   2) Hold down the ON button and press the D button (4th button, top
      row).  Then release both buttons.  This puts you in a testing
      mode that can be used to test the hardware.
   3) Press the button with DROP/CLR above it.  This is the last button
      on the row with the Enter button.  This should display a HEX
      address and some HEX data on the top row of the screen.
   4) Press the EVAL button.  This will display "Version HP48-x" on the
      top line, where x is the revision level (A, B, C or whatever).
      This will only display for 2 seconds before the HEX dump line
      comes back.  If you want to see it again, push EVAL again, or
      you can hold the EVAL button down.
   5) To return the calculator to normal operation, hold down the ON
      button and press the C button (top row, third button).

This is all documented in an addendum that came with the calculator
that lists known problems by rev. level.  There are only 6 problems
listed, and all but two only apply to rev A.  The others are listed
as applying to revs A,B,C and A,B,C,D respectively.

HP has a free bulliten board for people interested in the HP48.  The
phone number is (503) 750-4448, and it supports 300-2400 baud, and
they have some lines that support 9600 baud V.32.  The phone number
also comes with the calculator.

Even though the bug sheets mention rev levels through D, I have not
seen anybody here or on the HP bulliten board claim to have an rev.
levels higher than B.

					Harry Herman
					Corpane Industries, Inc.
					(A U. of Toledo alumni)

ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Thomas Tensfeldt) (06/01/90)

In article <1871@corpane.UUCP>, herman@corpane.UUCP (Harry Herman) writes:
> I have had my HP48 since mid April, and it is a Rev B ROM.

> Even though the bug sheets mention rev levels through D, I have not
> seen anybody here or on the HP bulliten board claim to have an rev.
> levels higher than B.
>
> 					Harry Herman

I just received my HP48sx today 5-31-90 and I have a revision D ROM.

  Tom Tensfeldt           Bitnet: TTENSFELDT%Eagle.WESLYN@Wesleyan.Bitnet
                        Internet: TTENSFELDT@Eagle.Wesleyan.Edu
  Pfizer, Inc.,   Box 100,         Groton,     CT 06340 (203)-441-4835
  Chemistry Dept, Wesleyan Univ,   Middletown, CT       (203)-347-9411 X2635