[comp.sys.handhelds] ROM upgrades and high prices....

delavier@uni2a.unige.ch (05/28/90)

Hello there!

From what I might have dug from the posted postings (?) here, there seems to be
some concern about what hp is going to do with new ROM upgrades - about a dozen
persons were willing to know, and we are now 13... I *would* like veeeeery much
to get my hands on the baby, but there seems to be quite a few bugging bugs  (?
again). So, I guess many people would appreciate to have some sound from HP  on
this: obviously *some* hp employees read this newsgroup (some even get stupidly
flamed - hey, not by me, yet! :), so....

Also to add a little comment to the hp-gross-over-expanded-pricing-policy
debate, all I have to say is that: you guys from the us stop complaining, *you*
are the lucky ones! You have both Dan Quayle *and* $250-or-so 48SXes! All *we*
get is Kaspar Villiger and all-new-only-for-$500 48SXes...
How, by the way, if any hp people is hearing, what the ... could be the
justification for this price increase? (the first one to cite "translating the
manuals" gets flamed: I bought a 28S about may 1989 or so, and they were
entirely written in English, which, as you may judge from this posting, caused
me some trouble, and as far as I have seen, the 48 sold now have the same
English manuals - with the same bugs)

So, if hp thinks $250 is way too cheap to account for a free ROM upgrade, would
it consider that $500 is expensive enough?

L.

) ) (05/29/90)

delavier@uni2a.unige.ch writes:

>I *would* like veeeeery much
>to get my hands on the baby, but there seems to be quite a few bugging bugs  (?
>again).

Actually, considering the size of the ROMs in the hp48sx, I would
characterize the number of bugs as "relatively few" or "remarkably
few", rather than the "quite a few" used above.  Every major piece of
software (OS's included!) have bugs, and so far none of the hp48 bugs
have been fatal.  Some of them are a bit disconcerrting (like the one's
that can possibly cause memory to be lost), but there are work-arounds
for those (like leaving the clock out of the display).

A question for the hp folks: will you be planning any sort of "ROM
upgrade" offer in the future?  For example, I mail in my hp48sx plus
the cost of the upgrade (say, $50) and in a week or two it comes back
with the latest, greatest ROMs installed.  Some sort of upgrade offer
would *really* be appreciated; although I *can* live with the
current bugs, it would be nice to know that my machine won't lose
memory on archive transfers because I forgot to disable the clock.
Besides, any major piece of software (on floppy or in ROMs) should be
planned with upgrades in mind.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Dad, don't give in to mob mentality!"
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene                                -- Bart Simpson

Stephen_J_Thomas@cup.portal.com (05/31/90)

$50 for a hp48SX ROM upgrade?!?!  Stop giving HP such ideas?  How about $5.
It should be for free, considering the machine does not perform according
to specs, i.e., the owner's manual.

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (Chris Lishka (hang loose...) ) (05/31/90)

Stephen_J_Thomas@cup.portal.com writes:

>$50 for a hp48SX ROM upgrade?!?!  Stop giving HP such ideas?  How about $5.
>It should be for free, considering the machine does not perform according
>to specs, i.e., the owner's manual.

I think $50 is fair.  I don't think they would do it for $5.  They may
not even do it for $50.

There are plenty of large programs and operating systems that "don't
perform according to the specs, i.e., the owner's manual." In most of
the cases I know, the company usually offers an upgrade for a modest
fee.  The *really* good companies offer free upgrades for problems
(apparently, one PC software company is offering free upgrades to
their Window 3.0 compatible software, but they are asking that the
users contribute money towards an environmental cause instead of
paying money for the upgrade).

I pulled $50 "out of a hat" as a ball-park figure.  I won't complain
if HP offers free upgrades!  However, considering that the hp48sx's
are probably not easy to repair (let alone desolder and then resolder
ROMs) $50 certainly seems fair.

Some other article mentioned a possible hp sponsored swap of machines
with old ROMs for machines with new ROMs (for a fee, I would assume).

					.oO Chris Oo.

--

delavier@uni2a.unige.ch (06/02/90)

In article <1990May29.153729.15082@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu>, lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (Chris Lishka (eat cheese or die!) ) writes:
> delavier@uni2a.unige.ch writes:
>>to get my hands on the baby, but there seems to be quite a few bugging bugs  (?
> Actually, considering the size of the ROMs in the hp48sx, I would
> characterize the number of bugs as "relatively few" or "remarkably
> few", rather than the "quite a few" used above.

I completely agree that the bugs don't seem as numerous as other vendors
ususally offer (look into Asht** T*** DB*** IV 1.0 ....) - my point was
precisely that the few left are "bugging" (the one about complex numbers
f'rinstance), sorry if it wasn't clear enough, argument closed.

> A question for the hp folks: will you be planning any sort of "ROM
> upgrade" offer in the future?  For example, I mail in my hp48sx plus
> the cost of the upgrade (say, $50) and in a week or two it comes back
> with the latest, greatest ROMs installed.  Some sort of upgrade offer
> would *really* be appreciated;

Same here, although I don't consider a 20%-paid-price upgrade an "offer"...
If *you*, I hope you'll never offer me a present :-)

> Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Dad, don't give in to mob mentality!"
> Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene                                -- Bart Simpson
>    lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu     "I'm not, Son.  I'm jumping on the bandwagon."
>    uunet!uwvax!uwslh!lishka                                    -- Homer Simpson

I jumped on it too...