[comp.sys.handhelds] Adapter: mini-DIN to DB-9

math1i7@jetson.uh.edu (06/02/90)

Hello all,

   I have an HP48SX and Apple Mac interface on order.  They haven't arrived
yet, so I was expecially interested in the "HP 48 Data Sheet" that Bill
Faus posted.  (Thanks Bill!)

   Anyway, the specifications for the Mac cable are listed down at the bottom
of the data sheet: 4-pin custom to circular mini-DIN.  The circular mini-DIN
connector will not fit my Mac (I have a 512K-Enhanced with added memory --
essentially a Mac Plus, but with the old style connectors).

   My question is: Does anyone have the pin-out for a circular mini-DIN to
DB-9  (i.e. 9-pin) connector?  I would like to go ahead and make the
adapter before my stuff comes in.

Thanks folks!

Gordon Tillman

P.S. -- Thanks again the people from Corvallis for all the informative
        postings!

rdclark@Apple.COM (Richard Clark) (06/03/90)

math1i7@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>   My question is: Does anyone have the pin-out for a circular mini-DIN to
>DB-9  (i.e. 9-pin) connector?

Gordon --

  Here's a "conversion table" to help you convert from the Mini-DIN connectors
to the DB-9 connectors:

  DB-9 Pin    DIN Pin    Description
  --------    -------    ----------------------------------------------------
  1,3         4          Ground
  2                      +5V -- see Inside Macintosh for power limits
  4           6          TxD+ -- transmit data
  5           3          TxD- -- transmit data (TxD+/TxD- may be used to drive
                                 a twisted pair)
  6                      +12V -- see Inside Macintosh for power limits
  7           2          Input handshake (CTS or TRxC, depends on Zilog 8530
                         mode)
  8           8          RxD+ -- receive data
  9           5          RxD- -- receive data (also a twisted pair)
              1          Output handshake (8530 DTR)
              7          Not connected

  Blanks indicate no corresponding connection.

  Sources: Macintosh Technical Notes 10 and 65.

--
-----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
Richard Clark                | "If you don't know where you're going,

--
-----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------

math1i7@jetson.uh.edu (06/04/90)

In article <41547@apple.Apple.COM>, rdclark@Apple.COM (Richard Clark) writes:
> math1i7@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>>   My question is: Does anyone have the pin-out for a circular mini-DIN to
>>DB-9  (i.e. 9-pin) connector?
>
>   Here's a "conversion table" to help you convert from the Mini-DIN connectors
> to the DB-9 connectors:
>
>   DB-9 Pin    DIN Pin    Description
>   2                      +5V -- see Inside Macintosh for power limits

Thanks Richard!

   I noticed that the DIN connector doesn't supply +5v.  Now that I see that
it reminds me about when the Thunderscan digitizers first came out for the
(at the time) new Mac Plusses -- you had to use a power supply with them.

Anyway, I appreciate the info -- I will be ready for my HP stuff when it comes
in!

Gordon Tillman