[comp.sys.handhelds] Typos in the 48sx manual...

meghas@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Megha Shyam) (05/31/90)

>/ hpcvra:comp.sys.handhelds / gt3398b@prism.gatech.EDU (DELANO,ANDREW DOUGLAS) /  1:40 pm  May 18, 1990 /

>There are two problems in the WALK demo program:

>1.)  There needs to be a << before erase, if this isn't here, youe
>     get invalid syntax.  The missing << can be found at the botem
>     of the page.

>2.)  There should be a GXOR before PICT ROT.

>DELANO,ANDREW DOUGLAS
>Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt3398b
>Internet: gt3398b@prism.gatech.edu

All know typos, and corrections to the HP 48SX manual are posted on the HP
calculator bulletin board in a conference called manual.corrections.  The
corrections are posted in a form that can be downloaded onto your PC.

The HP-BBS is a free service from HP and is available at (503) 750-4448.

Megha Shyam
Hewlett-Packard

pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) (05/31/90)

In article <25590006@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM> meghas@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM
(Megha Shyam) writes:

>All know typos, and corrections to the HP 48SX manual are posted on the HP
>calculator bulletin board in a conference called manual.corrections.  The
>corrections are posted in a form that can be downloaded onto your PC.
>
>The HP-BBS is a free service from HP and is available at (503) 750-4448.
>
>Megha Shyam
>Hewlett-Packard

That's nice.  But not all of us have PC's, and not all of us have
modems.  And not all of us have lots of money for long-distance phone
calls.

Unfortunately, I find myself in the group of people without PC's.

An FTP site would be nice for those of us reading this group.

Obviously there is going to be lots of HP48SX owners with neither
internet access nor personal computers with modems.  So what do they
do?

If anyone wants to make a slightly disgruntled reader happier, I would
greatly appreciate an E-mailed copy of the HP48SX information from the
BBS.

- Paul Colley
  Department of Computer Science, University of Waterloo
  Waterloo, Canada
  pacolley@violet.waterloo.edu or .ca

P.S.  I think the BBS is a great idea.  But it isn't for everyone.

howard@lysator.liu.se (M V Howard) (06/01/90)

pacolley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (Paul Colley) writes:

[..deleted..]

>An FTP site would be nice for those of us reading this group.

[..deleted..]

I heartily agree. Living in Sweden the idea of phoning the US to connect
to a BBS is not one I entertain. An FTP site would make the information
internationally available, giving those of us living outside the US a chance
to keep up with current (hp48sx) affairs.

/MHd

--
Programming isn't a science,         | EMAIL: howard@lage.lysator.liu.se
it's an art.                         |        howard@lysator.liu.se

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (06/04/90)

I just downloaded manual.corrections from the HP BBS
Here it is:

                ERRATA for the HP 48SX Manual

      [ls] left shift key
      [rs] right shift key

Page    :     # 95
Location:     Example of Input to the Command SIZE

NOW READS:   1:  92 x 64

SHOULD READ: 1:  Graphic 92 x 64

Page    :     # 106
Location:     Second and third lines from the top

NOW READS:     variable you create along with reserved variables created by the
               be empty.)

SHOULD READ:   variable you create along with any reserved variables created
               by the HP 48 (Your VAR menu may not be empty).

Page    :     # 117
Location:     Near the bottom of the page

NOW READS:   SCON   (-2,-3)    1:    'ABC'    (-2,3)

SHOULD READ: SCONJ  (-2,-3)    1:    'ABC'    (-2,3)

Page    :     # 134
Location:     Description of the Command XROOT

NOW READS:   The xth (in level 1) root of a value in
             level 2.

SHOULD READ: The xth (in level 1) root of a "real" value
             in level 2.

Page    :     # 180
Location:     First line at the top of the page.

NOW READS:   ... the magnitude of the force along the 170^o
                 line

SHOULD READ: ... the magnitude of the force along the 175^o
                 line

Page    :     # 197
Location:     Example on the page
              The screen dumps on this page are incorrect.

NOW READS:   68_\degC

SHOULD READ: 20_\degC/min

NOW READS:   68_\degF/min
              1_\degF/s

SHOULD READ: 20_\degC/min
              1_\degF/s

NOW READS:   1.1333333333333\degF/s

SHOULD READ: .6_\degC/s

Page    :     # 210
Location:     Description of the Command ASR

NOW READS:   ASR  Arithmetic Shift Right
             Performs 1 bit arithmetic right
	     shift.  The most significant bit
	     is excluded.

SHOULD READ: ASR  Arithmetic Shift Right
             Performs 1 bit arithmetic right
	     shift.  The most significant bit
	     is regenerated.

Page    :     # 229
Location:     Table describing the Operations in the EquationWriter Application

NOW READS:

SHOULD READ:  EVAL   Evaluates the equation and exits EquationWriter Applicatio

Page    :     # 268
Location:     Example: Using the HP Solve Application with Units.

NOW READS:   Enter and name the equation.

SHOULD READ: Enter and name the equation, then select the SOLVR menu.

Page    :     # 276
Location:     11 lines from the to of the page.

NOW READS:    Display the SOLVR menu and store unknown values.  Then calculate

SHOULD READ:  Display the SOLVR menu and store known values.  Then calculate

Page    :     # 300
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   status area.  [rs] EQ+ starts a new list with current contents
             of EQ. [ls] EQ+ removes the last item from the list.

SHOULD READ: status area.  [ls] EQ+ removes the last item from the list.

Page    :     # 320
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   example on page 000).

SHOULD READ: example on page 332).

Page    :     # 325
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   scale of x-axis doubles. If you redraw the graph ..

SHOULD READ: scale of the x-axis doubles. If you redraw the graph ..

Page    :     # 394
Location:     About the middle of the page.

NOW READS:   arbitrary integer n=0, so the expression evaluates to 0.

SHOULD READ: arbitrary integer n=0, so the expression evaluates to
             [Sqrt sign]ASIN(Y).

Page    :     # 402
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   (2+)3*X            5*X

SHOULD READ: (2 + 3)*X          5*X

Page    :     # 405
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   (A^B)^C               A*(B^C)

SHOULD READ: (A^B)^C               A^(B*C)

Page    :     # 406
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   A^(B-C)              A^B-A^C

SHOULD READ: A^(B-C)              A^B/A^C

Page    :     # 421
Location:     About half way down the top half of the page

NOW READS:       1 + tan^2(x^2 + 1) X d/dx (x^2 + 1)

SHOULD READ:     (1 + tan^2(x^2 + 1)) X d/dx (x^2 + 1)

Page    :     # 422
Location:     Near the bottom of the page

NOW READS:   differentiate '%(X, Y)' with respect to Z, you obtain:

SHOULD READ: evaluate 'dZ(%(X, Y))', you obtain:

Page    :     # 441
Location:     Bottom of the page

NOW READS:

SHOULD READ: ->DAT has a lower limit of 1.011989 and a upper limit
             of 12.312088

Page    :     # 446
Location:     Second line from the top of the page

NOW READS:   staff meeting on Mondays at 10:30 AM, beginning ...

SHOULD READ: staff meeting on Fridays at 10:30 AM, beginning ...

Page    :     # 447
Location:     Second line from the bottom of the page

NOW READS:   Turning the Beeper Off.  To turn prevent the audible tones from

SHOULD READ: Turning the Beeper Off.  To prevent the audible tones from

Page    :     # 453
Location:     About the middle of the page containing the description of
              STOALARM

NOW READS:   index n to level 1.  The alarm list
             argument for STOAL can take any one
	     of the following four forms: { date };
	     { date time }; { date time action };
	     { date time action repeat }.

SHOULD READ: index n to level 1.  The argument for
             STOAL can take any one of the following
	     four forms: time; { date time };
	     { date time action }; { date time action
	     repeat }.  If only the real number time
	     is specified, the alarm date is current
	     date by default.

Page    :     # 485
Location:     Near the middle of the page

NOW READS:   first four steps and can now choose one of the three alternatives
..

SHOULD READ: first four steps and can now choose one of the four alternatives .
.

Page    :     # 494
Location:     Middle of the page

NOW READS:   IF...THEN executes a sequence of commands only if test ...

SHOULD READ: IF...THEN...END executes a sequence of commands only if test ...

Page    :     # 494
Location:     Near the bottom of the page

NOW READS:   automatically evaluate to a number (->NUM or EVAL) isn't necessary
.

SHOULD READ: automatically evaluate to a number (->NUM or EVAL isn't necessary)
.

Page    :     # 495
Location:     Example 2 program listing

NOW READS:   -> x y           Creates local variables x and y
                              containing the two numbers from the
			      stack

             IF               Starts the test-clause

SHOULD READ: -> x y           Creates local variables x and y
                              containing the two numbers from the
			      stack
              <<
             IF               Starts the test-clause

Page    :     # 496
Location:     Top of the page

NOW READS:   END              Ends the true-clause

SHOULD READ: END              Ends the true-clause

Page    :     # 529
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   string, press [rs] [""] [rs] [:] a [ra]

SHOULD READ: string, press [rs] [""] [rs] [::] a [ra]

Page    :     # 563
Location:     Middle of the page

NOW READS:   Example: Sort list { 8,3,1,2,5 }

SHOULD READ: Example: Sort list { 8 3 1 2 5 }

Page    :     # 575
Location:     Top Half of the page

NOW READS:   END            Ends the outer conditional

SHOULD READ: END            Ends the conditional

Page    :     # 575
Location:     About the middle of the top half of the page

NOW READS:   END            If flag 46 is set, ends the loop

SHOULD READ: END            If flag -64 is set, ends the loop

Page    :     # 578
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   END             Ends the outer conditional

SHOULD READ: END             Ends the conditional

Page    :     # 589
Location:     Halfway from the middle of the page to the bottom of the page

NOW READS:   polynomial plot into a graphics object.  Then it executes GOR
             (graphics OR) to combine each graphics object with the sine curve

SHOULD READ: polynomial plot into a graphics object.  Then it executes
             to combine each graphics object with the sine curve

Page    :     # 596
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   Checksum:  # 33720d

SHOULD READ: Checksum:  # 8706d

Page    :     # 597
Location:     Top half of the page

NOW READS:   85 [SLICE]
             [CONT]

SHOULD READ: 85 [SLICE]
             [DRAW]

Page    :     # 598
Location:     Top half of the page

NOW READS:   -> man         Creates local variable man
                            containing the graphics object

             ERASE { # 0d # 0d }  Cleare PICT, then displays it

SHOULD READ: -> man         Creates local variable man
                            contsining the graphics object
             <<
	      ERASE { # 0d # 0d }  Cleare PICT, then displays it

Page    :     # 598
Location:     About halfway down from the middle of the page

NOW READS:   # 25d 2 ->LIST         Specifies a fixed vertical coordinate.
                                    Puts the two coordinates in a list.
             PICT OVER man          Displays the new image, leaving its
	                            coordinates from the stack.

             PICT ROT man GXOR      Turns off the old image, removing its
	                            coordinates from the stack.

             5 STEP                 Increments the horizontal coordinate
	                            by 5.

             <<

SHOULD READ: # 25d 2 ->LIST         Specifies a fixed vertical coordinate.
                                    Puts the two coordinates in a list.
             PICT OVER man GXOR     Displays the new image, leaving its
	                            coordinates from the stack.

             PICT ROT man GXOR      Turns off the old image, removing its
	                            coordinates from the stack.

             5 STEP                 Increments the horizontal coordinate
	                            by 5.

Page    :     # 599
Location:     Top of the page

NOW READS:   Checksum:    # 25106d

SHOULD READ: Checksum:    # 4342d

Page    :     # 632
Location:     Top of the page

NOW READS:   When transferring data to and from an HP 48 at 9600 baud,

SHOULD READ: When using the commands described below to transfer data from
             HP 48 at 9600 baud,

Page    :     # 641
Location:     Middle of the page

NOW READS:   battery should last between 1 and 5 years.  When the battery needs

SHOULD READ: battery should last between 1 and 3 years.  When the battery needs

Page    :     # 641
Location:     About halfway down from the middle of the page

NOW READS:   calculator when batter gets low.)  Setting alarms is covered in

SHOULD READ: calculator when battery gets low.)  Setting alarms is covered in

Page    :     # 645
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:   backup object in port 1 by by evaluating :1:PG1 STO.

SHOULD READ: backup object in port 1 by evaluating :1:PG1 STO.

Page    :     # 688
Location:     Top half of the page

NOW READS:   Undefined Result     Calculation such as 0/0     304
                                  generated generated
				  mathematically undefined
				  result.

SHOULD READ: Undefined Result     Calculation such as 0/0     304
                                  generated
				  mathematically undefined
				  result.

Page    :     # 733
Location:     About half way down from the top of the page.

NOW READS:   e        Symbolic constant e (2.71828182846).    144
                      A  [alpha] [sl] [E]

SHOULD READ: e        Symbolic constant e (2.71828182846).    144
                      F  [alpha] [sl] [E]

Page    :     # 747
Location:     About halfway down from the top of the page

NOW READS:   i        Symbolic constant i                     144
                      A  [alpha] [ls] [CST]

SHOULD READ: i        Symbolic constant i                     144
                      F  [alpha] [ls] [CST]

Page    :     # 756
Location:     Bottom Half of the Page

NOW READS:   lyr      Light year, length
                      (9.46052840488X10^-15 m).

SHOULD READ: lyr      Light year, length
                      (9.46052840488X10^15 m).

Page    :     # 759
Location:     Top section of the page

NOW READS:   MAXR     Maximum machine-representable real    144

SHOULD READ: MAXR     Maximum machine-representable real    144
                      number (9.99999999999E499).
		      F  [MTH] [PARTS]p.4 [MAXR]

Page    :     # 761
Location:     Top half of the page

NOW READS:   MINR     Minimum Machine-representable real    144
                      number (1.000000000000E-499).
		      A  [MTH] [PARTS] p.4 [MINR]

SHOULD READ: MINR     Minimum Machine-representable real    144
                      number (1.000000000000E-499).
		      F  [MTH] [PARTS] p.4 [MINR]

Page    :     # 777
Location:     Bottom half of the page

NOW READS:   RCLKEYS  Returns list of current user-key      220
                      assignments
		      O  [rs] [MODES] [RCLK]

SHOULD READ: RCLKEYS  Returns list of current user-key      220
                      assignments
		      O  [rs] [MODES] [RCLK]

Page    :     # 814
Location:     About the middle of the page

NOW READS:

SHOULD READ: pi     Symbolic constant pi
                    F [ls] [pi]                                144

# 632
Location:     Top o