[comp.sys.handhelds] Questions for Portfolio owners

obrien@rocky6.rockefeller.edu (Tom O'Brien) (06/05/90)

Do the expansion RAM cards add anything to the size of the Portfolio, or do
they fit completely inside it?

How about the Serial/Parallel interfaces?  I assume that they stick onto the
side of the machine and make it bigger.  True?  Can you use RAM cards when the
interface is attached?

In addition to the timed events/alarms that can be set up with the scheduler,
how about untimed events (i.e. a "to do" list)?  How would you handle, say, ten
things to be done today (as distinct from appointments)?

What about moving some of them to tomorrow if they don't get completed?  How
easy is that?

I know that, in the extreme, I could just write my own stuff (which is one of
the reasons the Portfolio is so enticing), but I'm interested in what the
built-in software can do.

Thanks for any help.

Tom O'Brien						Rockefeller University
obrien@rockvax.rockefeller.edu				    Computing Services
obrien@rockvax.bitnet

mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) (06/05/90)

In article <1990May31.101512.18111@rockyd.rockefeller.edu> obrien@rockvax.rockefeller.edu () writes:
> Do the expansion RAM cards add anything to the size of the Portfolio, or do
> they fit completely inside it?

They fit almost completely inside the Portfolio. Only enough sticks out
so that you can remove the card.

> How about the Serial/Parallel interfaces?  I assume that they stick onto the
> side of the machine and make it bigger.  True?  Can you use RAM cards when
> the interface is attached?

The Parallel and Serial Interface units add about 3 inches to the right
hand side of the machine. Of course I remove them when I'm not actually
them. In fact, my Parallel Interface unit is pretty much permanently
attached to a cable hooked into my PC. I just plug the Portfolio into it
when I want to transfer files between them. The Serial Interface is
attached "as needed."

The Parallel and Serial Interface units plug into the bus edge connector
on the right hand side of the machine. The RAM cards slip into a slot on
the left hand side of the machine. They're completely independent of
each other. My RAM card is ALWAYS in my Portfolio. I use it as a backup
device for the Portfolio's internal RAM disk. I've become so reliant on
the computer that if I lost the contents of the RAM disk I'd really be
up a creek! With the RAM card and a simple ".bat" file I wrote, it's
easy to completely backup memory contents as many times a day as I want.

> In addition to the timed events/alarms that can be set up with the scheduler,
> how about untimed events (i.e. a "to do" list)?  How would you handle, say,
> ten things to be done today (as distinct from appointments)?

With the Portfolio Diary application, alarms are optional. You only set
them when you need them. I rarely use the alarm feature and strictly use
the Diary application as an appointment and to-do data base.

> What about moving some of them to tomorrow if they don't get completed?  How
> easy is that?

The Diary application has a Move command for changing the time and/or
date of any existing entry.

> I know that, in the extreme, I could just write my own stuff (which is one of
> the reasons the Portfolio is so enticing), but I'm interested in what the
> built-in software can do.

The built-in software is VERY nice. The text editor has completely replaced
my log book, as well as handling lots of other text entry tasks. The Dairy
application and the Address/Phone Book application have replaced my Daytimer.
I use the Spreadsheet to track business travel expenses, personal budget, and
automobile operating expenses. The calculator is simple, but is really
handy to have. I use the Parallel Interface to transfer files to my PC
at work, and from there typically onto a Unix box for printing and/or
storage. I use the Serial Interface and the Atari PD terminal program to
transfer files to/from our Macintosh BBS system, and from there
sometimes onto Fidonet.

In addition to these applications, I've got a bunch of handly ".bat"
files and application programs in the Portfolio for performing
miscellaneous tasks. I even keep a copy of Tiny Basic 8086 (it runs on
the Portfolio!) in the unit for knocking off the odd little program.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (06/06/90)

In article <1990May31.101512.18111@rockyd.rockefeller.edu>, obrien@rocky6.rockefeller.edu (Tom O'Brien) writes:
> Do the expansion RAM cards add anything to the size of the Portfolio, or do
> they fit completely inside it?

I've not seen an expansion RAM card (it has taken me 6 months to get a lowly
old serial interface), but rumor has it that they do make the machine bigger.
They plug into the side of the machine in the same spigot that the serial
port does. Since they purportedly pass the bus through, you are able to
use multiple RAM expanders with serial and parallel ports.

> How about the Serial/Parallel interfaces?  I assume that they stick onto the
> side of the machine and make it bigger.  True?  Can you use RAM cards when the
> interface is attached?

Yes and yes.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W