[comp.sys.handhelds] Will I kill my hp48?

rah0777@cec1.wustl.edu (Rexford Alan Hill) (06/05/90)

I have a (possibly) silly question.  If I type in the following program on
my hp48:
<< while 0 1 == repeat off end >>

will I ever be able to turn my calculator on again?  I tried it with
<< 0 10 start off next >>

and I have to turn my calculator on 10 times or so (I didn't count).  I don't
want to do a complete reset (and possibly lose memory).  Any ideas?

						Just asking,
							RexA

edp@jareth@enet.dec.com (Always mount a scratch monkey.) (06/06/90)

(Rexford Alan Hill) writes...

> I have a (possibly) silly question.  If I type in the following program on
> my hp48:
> << while 0 1 == repeat off end >>
>
> will I ever be able to turn my calculator on again?

Sure.  0 is not equal to 1, so the test is false, and the clause isn't
executed at all.  But if you try:

	<< WHILE 1 REPEAT OFF END >>

then you'll have problems.  (You only need 1, not 1 1 ==, because any non-zero
real is considered to be a value of "true", while 0 is "false".)

If you execute that beast, check page 666 of the instructions; step 4 tells you
to press and hold ON, press and release the third key from the left in the top
row (the menu key with the C next to it), and release on.  This performs an
attention operation that is less severe than a memory reset.  On the 28, it
interrupts processing, clears the stack, and goes to the HOME directory.

				-- edp

  I tried it with
><< 0 10 start off next >>
>
>and I have to turn my calculator on 10 times or so (I didn't count).  I don't
>want to do a complete reset (and possibly lose memory).  Any ideas?
>
>						Just asking,
>							RexA

				-- edp (Eric Postpischil)
				"Always mount a scratch monkey."
				edp@jareth.enet.dec.com

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun5.151454.10799@cec1.wustl.edu> rah0777@cec1.wustl.edu (Rexford Alan Hill) writes:
>I have a (possibly) silly question.  If I type in the following program on
>my hp48:
><< while 0 1 == repeat off end >>
>
>will I ever be able to turn my calculator on again?  I tried it with

There's ONE easy way to find out... (malicious chuckle...)

And I just wanted to thank you for giving me the best laugh I've had all day.
I'm still at it... I'm not laughing AT you, but at the concept of a program
that... hehehe... a program that can keep turning a computer OFF... haHA,
hahahaha... it's just too much.  I guess it could really break the ice at HP
parties, eh?  Expand on the idea, make a book of practical jokes for HP
calculators...

Maybe I've been at this news reading session too long... our news feed was
stoppered up for a few days.  Time to get some sleep.  ?

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Internet bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu, FIDO 1:104/421.2 or Arvada 68K (303)424-9831|

rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) (06/06/90)

>I tried it with
><< 0 10 start off next >>
>
>and I have to turn my calculator on 10 times or so (I didn't count).  I don't
>want to do a complete reset (and possibly lose memory).  Any ideas?
>
>						Just asking,

That reminds me of the old (OLD!) joke where the guy says, "Hey Doc, my
arm hurts when I do this."

For 50 cents and a free one-way bus ride from Corvallis to Tualatin, what's
 the punch line?

Ray D.
(no response needed)
----------

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun5.151454.10799@cec1.wustl.edu>, rah0777@cec1.wustl.edu (Rexford Alan Hill) writes:
> I have a (possibly) silly question.  If I type in the following program on
> my hp48:
> << while 0 1 == repeat off end >>
>
> will I ever be able to turn my calculator on again?  I tried it with

And I was silly enough to try it... I had to hold down the ON key (so the
machine was on), pull a battery out, and leave it out for a few minutes.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633