[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48sx Power thingos, ROM revisions and keyboard probs.

edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) (06/04/90)

Hi all,
      Firstly, something for the wish-list.....
Alternate power supply system for the 48sx.

People at Corvalis (and others...)
What other power alternatives are there for giving the 48sx the required
voltage source ? (or must I but a local aaa battery franchise ?)

I tend to run the 48 for 6 to 8 hours at a time
(no turn off, it is always calculating)
(I just love mandelbrots especially those on the calculator, people find it
quite upsetting to see mandelbrots on a calculator :-)
{[quote] but that aint no calculator [unquote] } )

How safe is it to dummy up some aaa's (connected to a 4.5v power supply) to put
in place of real ones.

ROM things.

      I bought my 48 quite a while back (about the week of its release in
the states :-)  express air freight is luvly ! ) so it has Rev A ROMS.
When I went into the local university bookshop, they had the 48sx with
revision B ROMs.  This may be of interest to the ROM people.

Okay now another problem...

the row of keys on the keyboard 7 8 9
they should produce responses as per the following table...
(for alpha, left and alpha right shift)

key           left-shift          right-shift

 7                `                    '

 8                ^                    ~

 9               ..                   etc.

(according to the back page of the quick reference manual, and also a
page in the user manual I dont have in front of me.)

instead they all produce a non-destructive backspace (and no character !)

now all	the other keys seem to work (test.. alpha, right shift 4
produces a cent symbol) however this row seems defunct. We only have
a fairly small sample of 48's (that I know of) where I am and all of
them have A ROMS and exhibit this problem.

Oh, lastly a full keyboard test (as per the manual) seems to work.

All ideas and fixes greatly appreciated.
Andrew

 ____________
/\  _________\   Andrew Moore   edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.oz (...oz.au)
\ \ \______  /  edp148l%monu6.cc.monash.oz@uunet.UU.NET
 \ \ \  / / /  {hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!munnari!monu6.cc.monash.oz!edp148l
  \ \ \/ / /  +613-573-2297 (human) +613-573-2745 (fax)
   \ \/ / /  School of Computing and Information Sciences,
    \  / /  Chisholm Institute Of Technology, PO Box 197, Caulfield East,
     \/_/  Melbourne, Victoria, 3145, Australia.

edp@jareth.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (06/07/90)

> the row of keys on the keyboard 7 8 9
> they should produce responses as per the following table...
> (for alpha, left and alpha right shift)
> . . .
> instead they all produce a non-destructive backspace (and no character !)

Are you sure you understand how those keys are supposed to work?  They
do not produce characters.  Rather, they modify the immediately
preceding character, IF appropriate.  E.g., you can type an "a" followed
by right-shift 7 to produce an "a" with an accent mark.  See page 53 of
the manual, "Generating Accented Characters".

				-- edp

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun4.012755.28078@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> edp148l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Andrew Moore) writes:
|Okay now another problem...

|the row of keys on the keyboard 7 8 9
|they should produce responses as per the following table...
|(for alpha, left and alpha right shift)

|key           left-shift          right-shift
| 7                `                    '
| 8                ^                    ~
| 9               ..                   etc.

|(according to the back page of the quick reference manual, and also a
|page in the user manual I dont have in front of me.)

|instead they all produce a non-destructive backspace (and no character !)

These keys don't produce characters; they are diacritical marks. They
act by changing the previous character that was entered.

Try entering each of the characters you list above after entering an
'O'; you'll get an 'O' with each of the diacritical marks above it
when you do.

                                               | "The three most dangerous
 Sean Malloy                                   | things in the world are a
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | programmer with a soldering
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | iron, a hardware type with a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | program patch, and a user