[comp.sys.handhelds] hp48 ROM versions, marxism, and poland

peraino@gmu90x.gmu.edu (peraino) (06/29/90)

>From n023el@tamunix Fri Jun 29 03:12:48 1990
>Subject: 48SX ROM Versions & SYSEVALs

>Does anyone know why Hewlett-Packard has already introduced so many ROM
>versions in the 48 when the 28C had only two and the 28S one?

     Not that many versions exist, and I think you are putting too
much emphasis on it. The changes, in terms of SYSEVALs, are probably
minimal, since HP is fully aware that developers don't want to have to
market different versions of applications cards to match different
ROM versions.

> Could it
>be possible that the omnipotent calculator gurus have attempted to do
>too much too soon?

No.

> Based on the zealotry displayed by this news group
>it certainly would not seem possible! Or could it? After all, I'm just
>another pitiful electronic gadget junkie who is easily exploited by the
>marketing tactics utilized by corporate America.

That's your problem.

> Perhaps I should also
>jump on the band wagon and begin worshipfully following the creators of
>this sacred tool who later get rich from writing after market user guides
>because the support literature that comes with the product is severely
>handicapped.

     Who is putting a gun to your head and making you buy it?

>There are still some of us who are capable of independent thought. Eventhough
>I am not categorically a vindictive Marxist, many in this world are, and
>should our society ever obtain class consciousness, I fear for what could
>happen to those individuals who engage in such unethical conduct.

Huh?

>Please no comments from those narrowly focused individuals who have obtained
>special favor status with Hewlett-Packard, and whose unrestrained praise is
>far too often expressed in this news group.

     But you're certainly welcome to toot your own horn, right?

>Hewlett-Packard should be aware that most people who have had to save and
>sacrifice to buy a high-end calculator, such as the 48, do not appreciate
>having to spend an extra $20 here and $50 there in order to take full
>advantage of the features for which it was marketed.

     Then don't spend the extra money!

>I recently completed an engineering physics course in which the prof was
>visiting from Poland. He eluded that his salary in Poland with a Phd. in
>physics was $400 a month. Compare this with your six figure annual income.

     Who gives a shit? This professor probably wasn't paying $2.50 for
a head of cauliflower in Poland, either, pal. And he certainly wasn't
paying $800/month in rent.
     Sounds to me like you're pissed off that some bright people are making
good money by developing good products. By the way, for your own edification,
I am not one of those "narrowly-focused" individuals who get "special
favor status" (?) from hp, so I feel perfectly comfortable dumping
on this piece of shit posting that goes from ROMS to Marxism to the
economics of Poland.
     This is America, pal. I'm sure you weren't taking an engineering
physics course so that when you get out of school you could look forward
to making $400 a month.  Hypocrisy-101 must be on your transcripts somewhere.

       Bob Peraino                   UUCP    : uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!peraino
 George Mason University             INTERNET: peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu
UCIS, Thompson Hall, rm 2 <-         BITNET  : peraino@gmuvax
  4400 University Drive     \        PHONE   : (703)-323-2549
   Fairfax, VA  22030        \- Yeah, they put us in the basement, too.