[comp.sys.handhelds] Taking a 28C apart

akkanen@cs.Helsinki.FI (Jukka Akkanen) (06/29/90)

Sorry if this has been asked before...  I do have an old HP 28C and I'd
like to see what's inside.  How do you take it apart without making any
significant damage?

-Jukka Akkanan	<akkanen@cs.helsinki.fi>

cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (07/01/90)

In article <6075@hydra.Helsinki.FI>, akkanen@cs.Helsinki.FI (Jukka Akkanen) writes:
> Sorry if this has been asked before...  I do have an old HP 28C and I'd
> like to see what's inside.  How do you take it apart without making any
> significant damage?
>
> -Jukka Akkanan	<akkanen@cs.helsinki.fi>
for that matter, how 'bout an hp 28s? i'd LOVE to see the inside of mine!

-cgw-

chris williams, 'gilligan'     CGW@UNTVAX{.bitnet}  cgw@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
programmer/operator            NTVAXB::CGW          UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::CGW
university of north texas      at&t  : +1 817 565-4161
denton, texas 76203
home of the VaxCave!           'help stamp out and abolish redundancy!'

lorenh@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Loren Heisey) (07/02/90)

>Sorry if this has been asked before...  I do have an old HP 28C and I'd
>like to see what's inside.  How do you take it apart without making any
>significant damage?

Since the case parts of the HP28 are heatstaked together it would be
difficult to take it apart without damaging it. You would be better
off trying to locate the August 1987 issue of the HP Journal which
covered the HP18C and HP28C, and included an exploded view of the
parts in a HP28C.

jthornto@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (THORNTON JOHAN A) (07/04/90)

I took my 28S apart shortly before I got my 48SX.  (Yeah, I'm an HP
junkie...)

Inside are some discrete components and two noticably blank pieces of
raw metal.  A techie had the opinion that they were the actual silicon
blocks that the circuit is etched on.  I suspect that one is the Saturn
processor and the other is the ROM.  therellllThere

Also was a surface mount 64K by
4 bit RAM.

If you really want to take one apart, peel off the metal plate over the
display and the keyboard overlay.  You will see roughly 50 "plastic
welds".  Take a 1/16" or so drill and carefully drill out each of these
bonds.  When they're all gone, the front panel pops off easily.

When you're finished looking, reassemble the different parts and use a
small soldering pencil to re-weld the joints.  If you don't do this part
right the keyboard will be really loose;.  I had to open mine again to redo
it.

.