[comp.sys.handhelds] CASIO 9000

phd11@.uk.ac.keele (Zipzoid) (07/04/90)

Hi Netters,

Although this seems a HP48SX group mainly :), I was wondering if anyone
had some thoughts on the CASIO BOSS 9000 (the one with the large lcd
screen, touch pad keys - and most important: a jack for interfacing
to a computer).

I saw a few postings a while back about using one of these things to
xfer data to/from PC's and Suns.

I'm very interested in xferring to/from a Sun as I use them at work.
However, I have a Mac at home and prefer to do most writing and
maintenance of address lists/ things to-do etc on this.

BUT, I do seem to remember the gist of a posting that seemed to imply
that xfering data from machines other than a PC could be somewhat
non-trivial...

SO, can anyone enlighten me on this issue... I have about 100 pounds to
spare to get the beast (and I'll have to shell out some more
to get the interface too), but am loathe to do this if 9000-Mac xfers
aren't possible (I'll be leaving my sun in a year, but not my mac - that
stays!!).

Thanks in advance,
tony
--
Tony McDonald (Tones)
                                JANET:    phd11@uk.ac.kl.seq1

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (07/05/90)

In article <431@keele.keele.ac.uk> phd11@.uk.ac.keele (Zipzoid) writes:
>I saw a few postings a while back about using one of these things to
>xfer data to/from PC's and Suns.

There seems to be enough interest in the BOSS communication protocol so
I've posted the work I've done in implementing this protocol on UNIX.
There should be a two part posting in this newsgroup which contains all
the code and documentation which I've written for the BOSS.

>BUT, I do seem to remember the gist of a posting that seemed to imply
>that xfering data from machines other than a PC could be somewhat
>non-trivial...

Depends on what you consider non-trivial :-)  I've implemented it on UNIX
so it's not impossible to do (it is time consuming though).

>SO, can anyone enlighten me on this issue... I have about 100 pounds to
>spare to get the beast (and I'll have to shell out some more
>to get the interface too), but am loathe to do this if 9000-Mac xfers
>aren't possible (I'll be leaving my sun in a year, but not my mac - that
>stays!!).

Not knowing much about Mac's, I don't know how hard it would be to get my
unix program working on it.  Assuming the Mac has a robust C compiler and
timer and i/o facilities available via the OS, then it shouldn't be too
difficult to get running.

--
Managing a software development team 	|   Mark Dapoz
is a lot like being on the psychiatric	|   mdapoz%hybrid@cs.toronto.edu

ric@netcom.UUCP (Richard Bretscheider) (07/05/90)

phd11@.uk.ac.keele (Zipzoid) writes:

>Although this seems a HP48SX group mainly :), I was wondering if anyone
>had some thoughts on the CASIO BOSS 9000 (the one with the large lcd
>screen, touch pad keys - and most important: a jack for interfacing
>to a computer).

I have the 7500, basically the same machine, minus the slot and four
meta keys (same functionality available on both machines.)

>I saw a few postings a while back about using one of these things to
>xfer data to/from PC's and Suns.

PC and Mac data transfer is a commercial product (cable and software)
that basically is Traveling Software's Laplink product modified for
both machines.

(Requests about SUN transfers deleted-I can't help you there.;-)

>SO, can anyone enlighten me on this issue... I have about 100 pounds to
>spare to get the beast (and I'll have to shell out some more
>to get the interface too), but am loathe to do this if 9000-Mac xfers
>aren't possible (I'll be leaving my sun in a year, but not my mac - that
>stays!!).

Mac transfers are very possible.  Software works fine.  And this just in...
CESoftware's scheduling package, Alarming Events, will transfer schedule
data to your CASIO if you have the cables!  That makes things very nice
because although the Mac<->Casio software works ok, it's basically for
editing and backup.  The CES product will keep alarm events live on your
Mac for you!  Supposedly AE shipped last week.

--
Richard A. Bretschneider              These are my words.  My employer's
Ric Bret                              words are often spoken in haste, and