[comp.sys.handhelds] 48SX ROM Versions & SYSEVALs

n023el@tamunix (Robert Ellis) (06/29/90)

Does anyone know why Hewlett-Packard has already introduced so many ROM
versions in the 48 when the 28C had only two and the 28S one? Could it
be possible that the omnipotent calculator gurus have attempted to do
too much too soon? Based on the zealotry displayed by this news group
it certainly would not seem possible! Or could it? After all, I'm just
another pitiful electronic gadget junkie who is easily exploited by the
marketing tactics utilized by corporate America. Perhaps I should also
jump on the band wagon and begin worshipfully following the creators of
this sacred tool who later get rich from writing after market user guides
because the support literature that comes with the product is severely
handicapped.

There are still some of us who are capable of independent thought. Eventhough
I am not categorically a vindictive Marxist, many in this world are, and
should our society ever obtain class consciousness, I fear for what could
happen to those individuals who engage in such unethical conduct.

Please no comments from those narrowly focused individuals who have obtained
special favor status with Hewlett-Packard, and whose unrestrained praise is
far too often expressed in this news group.

Hewlett-Packard should be aware that most people who have had to save and
sacrifice to buy a high-end calculator, such as the 48, do not appreciate
having to spend an extra $20 here and $50 there in order to take full
advantage of the features for which it was marketed.

I recently completed an engineering physics course in which the prof was
visiting from Poland. He eluded that his salary in Poland with a Phd. in
physics was $400 a month. Compare this with your six figure annual income.

taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick Taber) (06/29/90)

In article <6236@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n023el@tamunix (Robert Ellis) writes:
> From: n023el@tamunix (Robert Ellis)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds
> Subject: 48SX ROM Versions & SYSEVALs
> Date: 29 Jun 90 07:12:48 GMT
> Sender: usenet@helios.TAMU.EDU
>
> Does anyone know why Hewlett-Packard has already introduced so many ROM
> versions in the 48 when the 28C had only two and the 28S one? Could it
> be possible that the omnipotent calculator gurus have attempted to do
> too much too soon?
> [ ...yadda, yada, yadda...]
> Perhaps I should also
> jump on the band wagon and begin worshipfully following the creators of
> this sacred tool who later get rich from writing after market user guides
> because the support literature that comes with the product is severely
> handicapped.

Perhaps you should  jump to the point.

> There are still some of us who are capable of independent thought.
[...yadda, yadda, yadda...]
> Hewlett-Packard should be aware that most people who have had to save and
> sacrifice to buy a high-end calculator, such as the 48, do not appreciate
> having to spend an extra $20 here and $50 there in order to take full
> advantage of the features for which it was marketed.

Is the message here that you need someone to explain the calculator in
simpler terms
than those used in the manual?  What happened to the independent
thought?  So far,
there has been precious little posted to this group that is not covered
in the manuals
as long as you understand that to use a tool you have to be smarter than
the tool is.
If you bought the calculator as a prosthetic device, then it's not going
to meet your needs.

> Please no comments from those narrowly focused individuals who have obtained
> special favor status with Hewlett-Packard, and whose unrestrained praise is
> far too often expressed in this news group.

I have no special status with HP, nor has HP every given me anything
except my money's
worth.

                                             >>>==>PStJTT
                                     Patrick St. Joseph Teahan Taber

Copyright (c) 1990 Patrick Taber all rights reserved.
This message may not be used by any law enforcement agency nor may it be
used in any legal proceeding.  That's the law.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/30/90)

I remember when I was a math student, and money was hard to come by.  I
still thought nothing of earning $1000 and buying an HP-75C which gave
me quite an education in itself.  I also earned $2000 and bought a
Macintosh in 1984 when they first came out, when I was still a student.
Now that I am an engineer at a Real Life company, and I earn less than
six figures I can assure you, I think that the HP-48SX is a very
reasonable machine for the money.  HP is not making lots of money on it
either, I can assure you, as the cost for a team of software developers
is not cheap like the hardware is.

Before you go flaming the net and HP, get more education, get a job at a
Real World company, and I think you will understand why things are the
way they are.  Not that they are the best, I grant you, but all things
considered, the HP-48SX took a lot of individual committment from
engineers that cared about making a great product.

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

n023el@tamunix (Robert Ellis) (06/30/90)

In article <1944@ryn.esg.dec.com> taber@ultnix.enet.dec.com (Patrick Taber) writes:
>> Does anyone know why Hewlett-Packard has already introduced so many ROM
>> versions in the 48 when the 28C had only two and the 28S one? Could it
>> be possible that the omnipotent calculator gurus have attempted to do
>> too much too soon?
>> [ ...yadda, yada, yadda...]
>> Perhaps I should also
>> jump on the band wagon and begin worshipfully following the creators of
>> this sacred tool who later get rich from writing after market user guides
>> because the support literature that comes with the product is severely
>> handicapped.

>Perhaps you should jump to the point.

I did! Perhaps you should strive to increase your level of reading
comprehension to that of a college graduate in order to alleviate
the lack of understanding which you have so obviously demonstrated.

>> There are still some of us who are capable of independent thought.
>[...yadda, yadda, yadda...]
>> Hewlett-Packard should be aware that most people who have had to save and
>> sacrifice to buy a high-end calculator, such as the 48, do not appreciate
>> having to spend an extra $20 here and $50 there in order to take full
>> advantage of the features for which it was marketed.

>Is the message here that you need someone to explain the calculator in
>simpler terms than those used in manual?
>What happened to the independent thought?

Quite the contrary. Once again, you've failed to understand what you've
read, and missed the point. Apparently it is your thought about which you
should show concern.

>> Please no comments from those narrowly focused individuals who have obtained
>> special favor status with Hewlett-Packard, and whose unrestrained praise is
>> far too often expressed in this news group.

>I have no special status with HP, nor has HP every given me anything
>except my money's worth.

Based on what I've seen thus far, it would be highly unlikely that you
would ever obtain such special status. However, I am glad that you feel
good about the purchase price of your 48SX; they really are beautifully
conceived.

>Copyright (c) 1990 Patrick Taber all rights reserved.

You really are out of your league. Maybe if you developed a finer command
of the English language your copyright might seem more appropriate. Upon
first reading your reply, I was quite embarrassed for you. There are many
articulate individuals who do monitor this news group.

>This message may not be used by any law enforcement agency nor may it be
>used in any legal proceeding.  That's the law.

In consideration of everthing I have said so far, I find it incredulous
that you should know anything about the law. I come from a family of many
lawyers and I'm very aware of the multifaceted complexities involved in
interpreting the law.

I will not take the time to explain my original posting, as it was
rhetorical, and only intended for a few individuals at Hewlett-Packard.

In article <42507@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>I remember when I was a math student, and money was hard to come by.  I
>still thought nothing of earning $1000 and buying an HP-75C which gave
>me quite an education in itself.  I also earned $2000 and bought a
>Macintosh in 1984 when they first came out, when I was still a student.

I can easily identify with what you did because it describes my current
situation. After all, I also proudly own a 48SX.

>Now that I am an engineer at a Real Life company, and I earn less than
>six figures I can assure you, I think that the HP-48SX is a very
>reasonable machine for the money.  HP is not making lots of money on it
>either, I can assure you, as the cost for a team of software developers
>is not cheap like the hardware is.
>
>Before you go flaming the net and HP, get more education, get a job at a
>Real World company, and I think you will understand why things are the
>way they are.  Not that they are the best, I grant you, but all things
>considered, the HP-48SX took a lot of individual committment from
>engineers that cared about making a great product.
>
>Dan Allen
>Apple Computer

I am well aware of the immense cost of developing high tech products such
as the 48SX, and in view of the positive tone of your response, I feel a
proper explanation is due.

The point of concern I was addressing was the seemingly unethical practice
of allowing design team members who are priviledged to inside information
to profit from the sell of after market user reference guides which they
write.

Why were their efforts not fully utilized during the time when the 48's
accompanying reference material was undergoing preperation?

You will have to admit that the reference material with which the 48SX
comes is poorly indexed, and inundated with mistakes. One might go so
far as to say Hewlett-Packard is unwittingly encouraging carelessness
in this area by allowing employees to publish.

The bottom line is that the need for after market support material could
have been completely unnecessary had Hewlett-Packard taken the time and
care to do it right.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (07/01/90)

In article <6261@helios.TAMU.EDU> n023el@tamunix (Robert Ellis) writes:
>In article <42507@apple.Apple.COM> dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) writes:
>>I remember when I was a math student, and money was hard to come by.  I
>The point of concern I was addressing was the seemingly unethical practice
>of allowing design team members who are priviledged to inside information
>to profit from the sell of after market user reference guides which they
>write.
>
>Why were their efforts not fully utilized during the time when the 48's
>accompanying reference material was undergoing preperation?
>
>You will have to admit that the reference material with which the 48SX
>comes is poorly indexed, and inundated with mistakes. One might go so
>far as to say Hewlett-Packard is unwittingly encouraging carelessness
>in this area by allowing employees to publish.
>
>The bottom line is that the need for after market support material could
>have been completely unnecessary had Hewlett-Packard taken the time and
>care to do it right.

I do not think it is an unethical practice to allow design team members
to sell after market anything: these are usually the finest products
because the design team tembers know more than anyone else.

The reference material could be improved, yes, perhaps, but if HP is
anything like Apple, the people who write the manuals are writers, not
engineers.  They usually only understand what the engineers tell them.
However, if the engineers are busy doing the actual engineering full
time, as you allude to above ("efforts not fully utilized"), then there
is no time to talk to and educate the publications/documentation people,
therefore poor docs come about.  It is a hard problem: should there be
more and better ROM code in the 48, or should there be less code and
sparse documentation rather than perfect docs?

Well, HP opted for rather sparse docs at first, and there is to be a
more in depth manual for programmers later this year.  (Perhaps the
engineers finally got the chance to talk to and educate the
documentation people...)

I do not have Jim Donnally's book--yet--but I am sure that I will like
it.  He probably did most of his work on the book since his stuff was
done, and I am sure he did it on his own time.

I did a similar thing here at Apple: no one wrote the book about
programming the Macintosh that I thought should be written, including
Apple's "official" publications, so I wrote my own book entitled "On
Macintosh Programming", also published by Addison-Wesley.  Many people
have said that they really have learned from this book.  If I had not
written the book, many of things in the book would never have been known
on the outside world

Dan Allen
Apple Computer

bqt@cia (Johnny Billquist) (07/02/90)

In article <6261@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n023el@tamunix (Robert Ellis) writes:
>[lost of stuff deleted...]
>The point of concern I was addressing was the seemingly unethical practice
>of allowing design team members who are priviledged to inside information
>to profit from the sell of after market user reference guides which they
>write.
>
>Why were their efforts not fully utilized during the time when the 48's
>accompanying reference material was undergoing preperation?

They could have, with the result of a later release of the machine,
and for more $$$, since manuals don't come for free either.

>You will have to admit that the reference material with which the 48SX
>comes is poorly indexed, and inundated with mistakes. One might go so
>far as to say Hewlett-Packard is unwittingly encouraging carelessness
>in this area by allowing employees to publish.

The case of bad manuals (if that's the case (I don't own a 48 myself))
is sad, but not uncommon. However, the line between bad and good manuals
also depend on what you want from the manual. The normal user, and a
hacker definitely don't want the same things in a manual, and the hardware
hacker want still something else.

>The bottom line is that the need for after market support material could
>have been completely unnecessary had Hewlett-Packard taken the time and
>care to do it right.

Not true. There always rise a demand for more info as time goes by.
You can never put everything in the first manual, as many things that
people want to know come appearant only after years of use. And even
the manuals that HP produce isn't always good enough, since they have
certain policys about what to publish, which doesn't bind other
people. What I'm thinking of can be exemplified by the synthetic
programming techniques on the HP-41. HP never wrote any official
manuals on that, but many other people did, including Bill Wickes
(I'm not sure about the spelling, but he is on this newsgroup),
who later became an HP emplyee.

The fact is that HP might not feel it worth putting the money into
writing all those manuals either, since they might feel that they
won't get the money they put into the effort paid back.

There might be a lot of resons why HP choose not to publish stuff.
But I'm glad that they allow their employees to publish such stuff
anyway. If those employees want to put their effort, time and
knowledge to that use, why not? It benefits the users, not HP.
And, those who write those manuals. I sure don't mind if they make
money on it. Why do you think they will do it? Partially for the
money, certainly. (At least I would).

Everybody know that the DECstation	- I'm on a bus
is a pdp8, which is a RISC, but		- on a psychodelic trip,
where did MIPS computers get into it?	- reading murder books
					- and tryin' to stay hip.

	- Johnny Billquist		- Billy Idol

D89.JOHNNY-BILLQUIST@CARMEN.DOCS.UU.SE

tim@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Timothy Jones) (07/03/90)

Speaking of...  I'm considering getting a 48sx.  What command can I use
to display the ROM level of one of these, so I can make sure I'm buying
one with the latest revision?  What is the latest ROM level?

Thanks!

Tim

Timothy Jones, Columbia University	      tim@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
612 W. 115th St. #803, NYC, NY, 10025	 ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!tim
(212) 854-8551					       tim@cunixf.bitnet

richard@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Richard Artz) (07/06/90)

Hi Robert,
	Didn't you post this same message last month?

 Richard Artz / N0LZR / 303-229-2036 / richard@hpfcww.fc.hp.com