[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-PC interface

DCSG@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (DCSG) (07/10/90)

Maybe I'm nistaken but on the box that my HP-PC interface cable came in
there was the implied ability to "access the power of your HP 48SX using
the large keyboard and display of your PC.". I took this to mean that
you could operate the calculator FROM the PC, ie, the HP would execute
commands that were entered in the PC keyboard. Has anyone gotten their
HP to work like this? If so, could you let me know what the trick is?
thanks.

jn163051@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Joel Nevison) (07/10/90)

In article <12604471594007@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> DCSG@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (DCSG) writes:
>Maybe I'm nistaken but on the box that my HP-PC interface cable came in
>there was the implied ability to "access the power of your HP 48SX using
>the large keyboard and display of your PC.". I took this to mean that
>you could operate the calculator FROM the PC, ie, the HP would execute
>commands that were entered in the PC keyboard. Has anyone gotten their
>HP to work like this? If so, could you let me know what the trick is?
>thanks.

There was an article a while back about doing this from the mac.
I figured it out from that.   You type remote host in front of
every thing you want to send to the 48.    Example
What you type                What you see
remote host x [return]       1:             'x'

remote host y [return]       2:             'x'
			     1:             'y'

remote host + [return]       1:           'x+y'

etc etc...
If any one knows an easier way to do this ie not having to type
remote host in front of everything I'd sure like to hear about it.

Good luck...
	    ...Joel

| Substitution mass confusion   /           Joel Nevison                  |
|    Clouds inside my head     /  jn163051@longs.lance.colostate.edu      |

zimmer@calvin.tmc.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (07/11/90)

I also wanted to "harness" the power of my 48sx from my PC.  I found out
about the 'remote host' command from the net, but believed that there
had to be an easier way.  Unfortunately, a call to HP confirmed that
you are supposed to use remote host.

Well, I got tired of typing remote host, so I went out and bought
a program on the kermit protocol.  I now have a small program that
will talk back and forth to the hp48sx without the remote host
command.  (It isn't pretty, but it is a start in the right direction.)
I haven't worked on it for a while, but I can make it available via
anonymous ftp if people would like it.  (I quit working on it when I
found out that I wouldn't be able to use a lot of the commands, ie
like EquationWriter from the PC.)

I also have a program that will display the hp48sx screen on a PC.
(ie a bit by bit copy).  Once again, not a finished program, but
enough to prove concept.

I am currently working on a program that has the potential of being
very useful and need some information on how the Saturn processor
'talks' to the i/o chips in the 48sx.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu