[comp.sys.handhelds] New Sharp Wizard series palmtops?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (07/10/90)

> I've heard that Sharp is now offering several new models of their Wizard
> palmtop.
> The new models are supposed to have a QUERTY keyboard (thank you!) and more
> memory.

> Has anyone seen these beasts?  Do you know where they can be purchased?
> I like my Wizard, but *hate* the ABC keyboard...

Yeah, I've seen one.  A coworker down the hall just traded in his old
Wizard for one of the new ones.

The new Wizard can best be described as "Wizard Lite."  It has a
QWERTY keyboard, and has the "Time and Expense Manager" software built
into the unit (this was available for the original Wizard on a
separate ROM cartridge).  It has 64K memory, and is smaller/lighter
than the original Wizard (about the same size as the Casio BOSS).

The one thing you give up is expandability.  It still has the serial
port, but it no longer has a cartridge slot.  So you can't add memory
or plug in additional software on ROM.  In my opinion, the QWERTY
keyboard and smaller size/weight greatly offset this disadvantage,
especially since the Time/Expense Manager is now built in.  But then
again, since I don't actually own a Wizard, take this opinion in that
light.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "man, this is weak."

mckay@frenchhorn.ecn.purdue.edu (Dwight D. McKay) (07/10/90)

I've heard that Sharp is now offering several new models of their Wizard
palmtop.
The new models are supposed to have a QUERTY keyboard (thank you!) and more
memory.

Has anyone seen these beasts?  Do you know where they can be purchased?
I like my Wizard, but *hate* the ABC keyboard...

--Dwight D. McKay, ECN Workstation Software Support
--Purdue University, Engineering Computer Network
--Office: MSEE 104f, Phone: (317) 494-3561
--mckay@harbor.ecn.purdue.edu --or--  ...rutgers!pur-ee!mckay

billf@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bill F. Faus) (07/11/90)

I got an ad in the mail from American Express listing:

    Deluxe Organizer   $229

    Organizer   $119

But it looks like the slide in application cards don't
work with these units.  I'd like to see both the QWERTY
keyboard and the slide in cards.

Call 1-800-528-8000

hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (07/11/90)

mckay@frenchhorn.ecn.purdue.edu (Dwight D. McKay) writes:

>I've heard that Sharp is now offering several new models of their Wizard
>palmtop.
>The new models are supposed to have a QUERTY keyboard (thank you!) and more
>memory.
>Has anyone seen these beasts?  Do you know where they can be purchased?
>I like my Wizard, but *hate* the ABC keyboard...
>--Dwight D. McKay, ECN Workstation Software Support
>--Purdue University, Engineering Computer Network
>--Office: MSEE 104f, Phone: (317) 494-3561
>--mckay@harbor.ecn.purdue.edu --or--  ...rutgers!pur-ee!mckay

YES.   I have a brochure on it but have not seen one.  Latest rumor is
September availability.   It is called the OZ-8200.   It has 128K of RAM,
a 40 X 8 display or 30 X 4 with expanded text, and a QWERTY keyboard.
It will accept the same cards as the older model.    Peripherals
available indicate that you can connect it to a PC, Modem, FAX,
Cassette, other OZ, ZQ and EL series systems.
Thats my value add to the net ...
1.  anyone know prices?
2.  anyone know where to get them?

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division, Printer Products
PHONE:316-636-8016  TELEX:417-465  FAX:316-636-8889    CALL:KA0TTY

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (07/12/90)

At the Summer Consumer Electronics Show, Sharp distributed literature (in
their press kits) but did not show their new "Signature Series" Wizard
organizers. The top of the line is $399. list, is horizontally held with a
QWERTY keyboard in the lower half and a larger 8 by 40 LCD in the left side
of the upper half along with the single plug-in card slot in the right
side of the upper half. This unit also has 128K of RAM built in. At the
show they also introduced a few new RAM/ROM cards, one of interest being
a communications card which comes (allegedly) with a pocket modem to make
the Wizard into a portable terminal.  I believe this card has 32K of RAM
as well as ROM inside.

Jake Schwartz