[comp.sys.handhelds] Demos, Surveying programs, and all that...

lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (07/20/90)

Couple of questions:

A couple of people have found me and my 48 at work, and are really excited about
actually seeing the calculator they have only read about so far.  But the 48
isn't one of those things that you can show off in a few minutes and have people
amazed at what it can do.  Usually, you forget where this impressive function
is, and you end up running around directories looking for it.

Does HP have some sort of demo program that fits in the 48, to show off a little
of what it can do?  If not, it might not be a bad idea -- I like showing off
my calculator, but I don't have an efficient way of doing it.

Secondly:

One of these guys is determined to have a surveying program if he gets a 48
(like the program pack that's in the 41).  I know this was one of the more
popular program packs for the 41 series, and there must doubtless be something
like this for the 48.  But casually looking around, I can't find any programs
like this.

Do such programs exist?  Any idea where I can find them?  And while we are at
it, is there the 'Great 48sx Programhouse' in existance?  (In other words,
where are all the programs hiding?)

With any luck, HP could have about six new calculator sales.  (How 'bout
that, eh?)

--
--Lance M. Orner             |  Without the software to run the
California St. Univ., Chico  |  hardware, you get _nowhere_!

lorner@csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (07/20/90)

Darn, darn, darn, darn!

My reply address on the last message is wrong, and anybody trying to do an
automatic reply will get a bounced message.  (Deep apologies to anybody who
as already tried.)  The correct address is 'lorner@csuchico.edu'.

Sincere apologies.

--

dove@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Ray Rischpater) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul20.052439.23763@csuchico.edu> lorner@cscihp.UUCP (Lance Orner) writes:
>Couple of questions:
>
>A couple of people have found me and my 48 at work, and are really excited about
>actually seeing the calculator they have only read about so far.  But the 48
>isn't one of those things that you can show off in a few minutes and have people
>amazed at what it can do.  Usually, you forget where this impressive function
>is, and you end up running around directories looking for it.
>
>Does HP have some sort of demo program that fits in the 48, to show off a little
>of what it can do?  If not, it might not be a bad idea -- I like showing off
>my calculator, but I don't have an efficient way of doing it.
Hmm. I'm getting mine early next week (I ordered it this morning.  :) )  That
might be a good first programming project, especially as my parents say the
thing's a waste of money and won't sit around while I dig through menus and
manuals (Hey, a new role-playing game for HP Calculator enthusiasts? M&M. Hmm.)
and stuff.  Give me a week or so to play around, and I'll post something ASAP.

>Secondly:
>
>One of these guys is determined to have a surveying program if he gets a 48
>(like the program pack that's in the 41).  I know this was one of the more
>popular program packs for the 41 series, and there must doubtless be something
>like this for the 48.  But casually looking around, I can't find any programs
>like this.
>
>Do such programs exist?  Any idea where I can find them?  And while we are at
>it, is there the 'Great 48sx Programhouse' in existance?  (In other words,
>where are all the programs hiding?)
>
>With any luck, HP could have about six new calculator sales.  (How 'bout
>that, eh?)
Well, EduCalc advertises a Survey card for the SX from TDS.  I know >nothing<
about surveying, so I'll copy the discription verbatim:

  A plug-in software card for Data Collection, Stakeout, COGO, Curves, and much
  more -- displays surveys graphically.
   Uses full hp48sx capability -- you move around the screen with cursor keys,
  use menus and softkeys for quick access to surveying functions.  With RAM
  card installed you can collect field data up to 3000 points, including Nor-
  thing, Easting elevation and 16 character point descriptors.
   Direct-connect to Lietz and Topcon total stations as well as your PC -- IR
  Interface squirts data to printer or another SX.
  Stock $ 2239 [TDS Surveying Card] List $495 .......................$429.95
(Taken without permission from the EduCalc catalog, #48.)

Another thought is that a HP41CV emulator is rumored to be available soon --
if that's the case, of course all of the CV surveying applications will be
available to you.

--
--     dove@ucscg.ucsc.edu  		  Ray Rischpater
--     dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu		  (408) 426-0716

ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul20.052439.23763@csuchico.edu> lorner@cscihp.UUCP (Lance Orner) writes:
>Does HP have some sort of demo program that fits in the 48, to show off a little
>of what it can do?  If not, it might not be a bad idea -- I like showing off
>my calculator, but I don't have an efficient way of doing it.

I have seen such a demo running in a bookstore.  My guess is that it was based
on the multiple equation solver that is a part of the Equation Solver ROM card.
The calculator appeared to be in an endless loop, repeatedly solving equations,
but it could be interrupted by a keystroke.  Such a demo would be easy to
write, since the multiple equation solver can be invoked within a program.

>One of these guys is determined to have a surveying program if he gets a 48
>(like the program pack that's in the 41).  I know this was one of the more
>popular program packs for the 41 series, and there must doubtless be something
>like this for the 48.  But casually looking around, I can't find any programs
>like this.

A surveying package for the 48 is available in the form of a ROM card, which I
have seen advertised in the Educalc catalog.  It is not cheap (it costs
significantly more than the Equation Solver ROM card, presumably because it is
aimed at a narrower market).  I don't remember the exact amount.

Dave Seaman
--
Dave Seaman
ags@seaman.cc.purdue.edu

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (07/21/90)

In article <5317@darkstar.ucsc.edu> dove@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Ray Rischpater) writes:

|In article <1990Jul20.052439.23763@csuchico.edu> lorner@cscihp.UUCP (Lance Orner) writes:
|>Couple of questions:

|>Does HP have some sort of demo program that fits in the 48, to show off some
|>of what it can do?  If not, it might not be a bad idea -- I like showing off
|>my calculator, but I don't have an efficient way of doing it.
|Hmm. I'm getting mine early next week (I ordered it this morning.  :) )  That
|might be a good first programming project, especially as my parents say the
|thing's a waste of money and won't sit around while I dig through menus and
|manuals (Hey, a new role-playing game for HP Calculator enthusiasts? M&M. Hmm.)
|and stuff.  Give me a week or so to play around, and I'll post something ASAP.

There is a demo program available from the HP BBS; check previous
postings for the number, and also check the comp.sys.handhelds
archives; someone may have uploaded it.

A version of the demo is also available for the IBM PC, doing exactly
the same thing, with a clever graphic display (albeit at a coarse
resolution) of the top half of an HP48SX.

                                               | "The three most dangerous
 Sean Malloy                                   | things in the world are a
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | programmer with a soldering
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | iron, a hardware type with a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | program patch, and a user

broe@plains.UUCP (Paul Broe) (07/21/90)

->In article <1990Jul20.052439.23763@csuchico.edu> lorner@cscihp.UUCP (Lance Orner) writes:
->>Does HP have some sort of demo program that fits in the 48, to show off a little
->>of what it can do?  If not, it might not be a bad idea -- I like showing off
->>my calculator, but I don't have an efficient way of doing it.

Hi. The demo somebody else mentioned running at a bookstore is a demo program
rom card (I looked). It goes through the same things as the IBM PC demo and
the Macintosh demo of the 48sx.

I'm happy with my 48sx (Rev. B) and the communications cable makes 'memory lost'
what it should be (an unpleasant memory from when I still used a 41cx). One
floppy disk and the whole calculator is backed up. (Also a convenient way of
storing all the programs I collect for it. Keep posting programs.)
--
| "I have seen my next computer, and it is the Amiga 3000." - me             |