[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48SX <--> UNIX Upload/Download

kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) (07/24/90)

In article <604@beguine.UUCP> Ian.Frechett@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>	And, once again, I have to ask if ANYONE has that Communications
>program for the 48..  You might be tempted to say "Check hpBBS".  NO.  That
>is why I need the damn thing.  I do not have a PC so I have NO way to dowload
>any programs.  I have hordes of programs sitting around taking up space in my
>UNIX account and I can't use them.  I'm not such a masochist that I willing
>to type in a few, 500 line programs.  I want to be able to write the programs
>on my UNIX with a real keybaord and then download it to the 48.  Is this
>unreasonable.

I too just got my 48, and I too have saved a number of previously posted
programs on my UNIX machine.  I'd be interested in connecting my 48 to
one of the UNIX workstation's RS-232 ports.

I'll ask Ian's question another way:

Does anyone have the source code for a communications program that will
run on a UNIX machine?

Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM>

prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) (07/25/90)

All you need is a version of kermit for your machine.  Check the
notes group comp.protocols.kermit for an FTP archive site of many
kermit versions.

Preston

ac1@chive.cs.reading.ac.uk (Andrew Cunningham) (07/26/90)

In article <6610@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) writes:
>In article <604@beguine.UUCP> Ian.Frechett@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
>
>Does anyone have the source code for a communications program that will
>run on a UNIX machine?

No I don't. But: What you need is a kermit program - there are a
number around.  HP supplies kermit on their series 300 machines (dunno
about the 800/400).  If you have ftp access you should be able to find
a site...  You may also have to tweak some of the kermit parameters to
get things to work.

Andy "Not got a 48 yet" Cunningham

Yours etc,                      | e-mail: ac1@csug.cs.reading.ac.uk
in a white wine sauce with      | Nobody agrees with my opinions, though
shallots, mushrooms and garlic. | everybody is entitled to them.