[comp.sys.handhelds] Is there life after ROM-version D?

berg@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Solitair) (07/23/90)

Well, is there?  What does HP have planned after ROM-version D?
The HP49SX? :-)

Inquiring minds want to know.
--
Sincerely,                             |"I code it in 5 min, optimize it in 90
           Stephen R. van den Berg.    | min, because it's so well optimized:

umapd51@sunb.cc.ic.ac.uk (W.A.C. Mier-Jedrzejowicz) (07/26/90)

Stephen van den Berg asks if there is life after revision D of the
HP48SX. Well, that revision still has one small bug so a revision E is
definitely on the cards. After that, HP would presumably want to wait
till some major problems show up before they produce another revision,
and it may be that no such problems will show up, since the 48 has been
in widespread use for over 3 months now and no serious problems have
been reported for 2 months (or have they?).
An HP49SX seems most unlikely, but look at the posters - the calculator
for the 2000s - in other words it is possible that another model or
models of the HP48 (say an HP48SZ, or an HP48SXII) will be made before
the end of the decade. Don't hold you breath though! The HP48SX itself
was originally called the HP48CS (Customizable Scientific), by the way.
Wlodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz, Space & Atmospheric Physics, Imperial College,
London.
Disclaimer: I do not speak for HP, nor for Imperial College. Even my
HP48SX has a right to disagree with me.

ERSHC@CUNYVM (07/27/90)

Gee, I didn't get an errata sheet with my 48sx rom D, and when I called
HP they said there was 'No errata'. What is the remaining problem??
-------

 eric schweitzer                   seek it with thimbles, seek it with care,
                                              pursue it with forks and hope,
 ershc@cunyvm.cuny.edu             threaten its  life with a  railway-share,
      @cunyvm.bitnet                          charm it with smiles and soap.

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) (07/28/90)

[Munch all you want, I'll type more]

In article <1990Jul26.022809.20279@cc.ic.ac.uk>, umapd51@sunb.cc.ic.ac.uk (W.A.C. Mier-Jedrzejowicz) writes:
> Stephen van den Berg asks if there is life after revision D of the
> HP48SX. Well, that revision still has one small bug so a revision E is
> definitely on the cards. After that, HP would presumably want to wait

Here's the $25000 question:

Is it possible to get a ROM upgrade?

I received my 48SX a month ago and it came with a Rev. C ROM.  If the bugs are
REAL minor, then this isn't really important, but I'd like my calculator to be
fully functional.  ($300 for a calculator?  It'd better be fully functional!)
--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu

tt@euler.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (07/28/90)

In article <6673.26b0ad3a@jetson.uh.edu> honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason Tibbitts/The Blob Shop) writes:

> Here's the $25000 question:
>
> Is it possible to get a ROM upgrade?

For $25000 it should be no problem ...

> I received my 48SX a month ago and it came with a Rev. C ROM.  If the bugs are
> REAL minor, then this isn't really important, but I'd like my calculator to be
> fully functional.  ($300 for a calculator?  It'd better be fully functional!)

Just a small observation: the more a computer or a calculator costs,
the more bugs you should expect in it (as it's likely to be more
complex as well).  The 48SX has remarkably few bugs, and, what is even
more remarkable, they have been reported to the customers promptly and
openly -- let's not whine about bugs that don't really matter,
lest HP conclude it was a bad idea to tell us about them!
(If only HP9000/HP-UX folks were as nice ... sigh.)

(I have rev. A. which does have a few bad enough bugs that I'd be
willing even to pay a little to get rid of them, but even in rev. B
the only one left (as far as I know) that might be of any consequence
to me is the INV bug, which I can live with once I know it.)

--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)