[comp.sys.handhelds] KOLSTAD'S HP48 SERIAL CONNECTORS!

gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) (08/08/90)

I have been trying to contact Mr. Kolstad both in the US mail
and on internet but I have gotten no response..

His email address of kolstad@cae.wisc.edu is not valid or
at least it comes back to me as user unknown.. He had
originally posted his offer of HP48sx serial connectors
at a $1 piece with an email address of:

bbs00068@uafcseg.UUCP

but that didn't work either... A week back I think Mr. Kolstad
posted some kind of delay problem with these connectors.. Not
that a $1 makes a big deal but I'm still waiting for these
connectors and would like to know what's going on...
Joel Kolstad would you please respond?? I think many others
are wondering.. Please email me at below address! Thanks!
George

--
George Wang
Wang Associates

bbs00068@uafcseg.uucp (Joel Kolstad) (08/09/90)

In article <2711@igloo.scum.com>, gwang@igloo.scum.com (George Wang) writes:
> I have been trying to contact Mr. Kolstad both in the US mail
> and on internet but I have gotten no response..

Actually, George, I did get some e-mail from you.  I tried replying to your
Bitnet address, and it bounced.  I then tried replying to your Internet
address, and it didn't come back -- so I assumed you got it.  Apparently
it went to the big bit bucket in the sky, though...

When you say US Mail, are you refering to the letter you sent with your $$$,
or some follow up?  I can check again, but I believe I only have your (1)
original letter.

> His email address of kolstad@cae.wisc.edu is not valid or
> at least it comes back to me as user unknown...

I think it's your mailer. :-) But I'm really not a mail expert (far from it!)
so I couldn't say for sure.

> [He] originally posted his offer of HP48sx serial connectors
> at a $1 piece with an email address of:
>
> bbs00068@uafcseg.UUCP
> but that didn't work either...

That address probably won't [ever] work.  It's a machine that I use to
post news from, since the cae machines don't know how [yet].

> [Previously he] posted some kind of delay problem with these connectors.. Not
> that a $1 makes a big deal but I'm still waiting for these
> connectors and would like to know what's going on...

You're quite right, and certainly ought to know what's going on.

> Joel Kolstad would you please respond?? I think many others
> are wondering.. Please email me at below address! Thanks!
> George

Certainly.  Since the below addresses [apparently] didn't work before,
I won't bother with them again.  Also, for others out there who might
have missed the original replies...

The connectors are currently little more than a big sheet of polycarbonate.
They'll be turned into little rectangular pieces of plastic with holes in
them on or before August 20th, 1990.  As soon as I get them, I will start
mailing them to you and everybody else.

Anybody who's about to tell me to go use Molex connecters:  Beat it! :-)
As you're probably aware, the Molex connectors have .1" spacing.  HP pins
have 2mm spacing (approx. .078").  Using a Molex connector, the distance
from center to center from pin 1 to pin 4 is .3".  Using 2mm spacing,
the distancle is .24".  I have tried Molex connectors, and although they
work alright, .06" is enough to visibly bend your pins.  However, Molex
connectors can be gotten just about anywhere... 2mm connectors can be
gotten in about exactly one place (at least that I'm aware of), and their
price is, well, shall we say... exhorbatant?  (>$5/ea, in small quantities).

That's about it.  I apologize, George, for keeping you in the dark.  I
hope this clears up your concerns.

					---Joel Kolstad
			              kolstad@cae.wisc.edu
                                      Really! It works for most people!