[comp.sys.handhelds] Wrist-watch with up/down-load features

aglew@dwarfs.crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) (07/16/90)

This is probably one of those posts that has been sent to too many
inappropriate newsgroups, but I didn't know what newsgroups were
appropriate, and these were the ones that seemed closest:

I am looking for a wristwatch with alarms, schedules, phone number
memory, etc., plus the ability to upload/download these data to/from
my home computer.
    My current watch, which has memory but not the upload/download
feature, is dying and I'd like to upgrade.
    I frequently use the alarm feature of my existing watch, but find
typing in on the miniature keyboard onerous.  Moreover, I would like
to be able to automatically generate multiple alarm patterns, etc.
from email and saved news about meetings I have to go to. Ditto wrt.
telephone numbers.
    I would prefer RS232 upload/download, since that is the lowest
common denominator on the machines I have access to. I do not have a
PC, but would be willing to hack a PC based system.
    I am not interested in the BOSS or the WIZARD type machines.

I have heard that CASIO had such a watch in the past, but dropped the
line.

Does anyone know if there are any such watches with upload/download
features currently being produced? Or where I can get the old,
orphaned, variety?

Please email.

--
Andy Glew, aglew@uiuc.edu

rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) (07/17/90)

I think Michael Keaton may have just what you're looking for.  It has a
two-way pager built in also.  He may have an extra one left over from
his last movie.  :-)

Ray
HP InkJet Components Operation
... or you could wait a few years and see if HP comes up with something ...

thompson_r@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Robert_Thompson) (07/19/90)

/ hpmtlx:comp.sys.handhelds / aglew@dwarfs.crhc.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) /  8:03 pm  Jul 15, 1990 /
> I am looking for a wristwatch with alarms, schedules, phone number
> memory, etc., plus the ability to upload/download these data to/from
> my home computer.

    Seiko made such a watch about 5 years ago but stopped selliung them...
    I saw them advertised in Radio Electronics (Sorry don't know the date)
    from Damark for 80$.

> I would prefer RS232 upload/download, since that is the lowest
> common denominator on the machines I have access to. I do not have a
> PC, but would be willing to hack a PC based system.

    I think it also came with an RS232 interface.

    Also check in the old Radio Electronics magazines, they did an entire
    write up of the Seiko watch in their computer section.

    Hope this helps

    Robert Thompson

garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) (07/19/90)

In article <31210045@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) writes:
>I think Michael Keaton may have just what you're looking for.  It has a
>two-way pager built in also.  He may have an extra one left over from
>his last movie.  :-)
>
>Ray
>HP InkJet Components Operation
>... or you could wait a few years and see if HP comes up with something ...

Oh no!  Not another HP Watch!!!! (HP-02?)   8^)

Actually, you'd probably do it right this time: fully programmable, 250
built-in scientific/engineering functions, micro memory cards, 1280x1024
1" display (with optional HP Magnifying Glass, $199.99),  touch-screen or
stylus input, built-in RPN(!) calculator, IR link to pocket printer, IR
PC connection, with Equation Solver.  Of course it would cost $3499, but
it would weigh less than the HP-01!

Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) (07/19/90)

>>Ray
>>HP InkJet Components Operation
>>... or you could wait a few years and see if HP comes up with something ...

>Oh no!  Not another HP Watch!!!! (HP-02?)   8^)

>                                     Of course it would cost $3499, but
>it would weigh less than the HP-01!

And we'd only have to sell one!  (Kind of like the $100 glass of lemonade.)
BTW, my "wait a few years" line should not be misconstrued as a rumor, hint,
or anything else.  I make inkjet printheads for a living, and I know nothing
about what the calculator guys have up their sleeves.  You'll all just have
to wait and see.

>Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

Ray Depew - HP InjJet Components Operation
Start saving your nickels and dimes now!
And franks, lire, marks, kroner, yen, pounds, ....
----------

ASTA@DULRUU51.BITNET (07/20/90)

>Oh no!  Not another HP Watch!!!! (HP-02?)   8^)

Another? HP sells (sold?) a watch?
Have I missed something??

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------#
    this mail came from Framstag!      |   asta@dulruu51.bitnet
 (sometimes known as Ulli Horlacher)   |   asta@rz.uni-ulm.dbp.de
 University of Ulm/Danube  W-Germany   |   asta@main01.rz.uni-ulm.de
 "Waiting for the prompt" -Marillion   |   framstag@dtupev5a.bitnet
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------#

kosi@sun411.uucp (07/21/90)

 One of SEIKO's models DID have an RS232 interface built-in.
 The entire display is dot-matrix type; and if my memory serves
 me right, the watch had 2k of memory.

 Price ? It was about US $ 250.00 in Frankfurt international airport,
 so I would guess, if it is available in US, it would cost about
 $100.00. (those shops may be duty-free, but things are a lot
 expensive there than outside... anybody knows why ?)

 Actually, I am inetrested in getting one of these myself,
 so if anyone has more info, would you please share it ?

Thankyou,

*kosi*         (408) 945-8305 ext.239   (day)
               (408) 453-0814           (eve)

diamant@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (07/24/90)

>  One of SEIKO's models DID have an RS232 interface built-in.
>  The entire display is dot-matrix type; and if my memory serves
>  me right, the watch had 2k of memory.

Yes, it was called the Seiko RC-4000 (or PC DataGraph).  It was made
by Hattori Seiko (in other words, it came direct from Japan and was not
sold by Seiko Time in the U.S.).  These things are now being resold as
something called a Wristmac.  Microseeds Publishing of Tampa Florida
is the supplier (they bought the old stock of RC-4000s and added some
Mac software).

>  Price ? It was about US $ 250.00 in Frankfurt international airport,
>  so I would guess, if it is available in US, it would cost about
>  $100.00. (those shops may be duty-free, but things are a lot
>  expensive there than outside... anybody knows why ?)

The cheapest source I've been able to find so far is MacWharehouse
(800 255-6227), with a price of $149 for the plastic case, non waterproof
version, and $189 for the metal case, waterproof version (called executive
wristmac).

You probably need to add an adaptor on the cable, though, if you have
anything other than a Mac (yes, it has RS-232 and 2K of memory).

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hpfcla,hplabs}!hpfclp!diamant

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement
by, the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

jbd@osf.org (Bruce Dawson) (07/24/90)

This is the same watch that was advertised as WristMac by MacWarehouse
and related magazines. It's fairly easy to cobble together a program
that downloads the watch from a standard RS232 port.

But watch out - the port is one-way - to the watch only. You need a special
adapter to get data from the watch (but its a pain to modify data in the watch
from the watch "console", so this usually isn't a problem). And yes, the watch
has 14 settable alarms, weekly and annual reminders, and most of the usual
calendar program features.

The watch is fairly neat, but I found it rather cheaply made, especially for a
Seiko. Also, I find it rather uncomfortable on the arm - its largish and boxy.
Alas, I fell on some ice this past winter and the watch band is now forever
detached (the pins that hold the band to the body ripped apart their holes).

As sold by MacWarehouse, etc, it comes with some Mac Hypercard software that
emulates the watch on the macintosh facilitates uploading and downloading.

--Bruce

pmercer@apple.com (Paul Mercer) (08/09/90)

The Seiko watch can be bought from Microseeds, Inc. in Tampa.  It comes
with Mac upload/download software.  Phone number is 813-882-8635.

Paul Mercer