[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio woes

SL2FX@cc.usu.edu (Randy Lee - Utah State University, Logan, UT) (08/03/90)

Hi Netters!
	I've been having quite a bit of difficulty with my Portfolio lately.
The middle of long text files seem to vanish, the copy con routine will not
accept lines longer than 9 characters and it's running down the batteries in
about 3 weeks (as opposed to 6 or seven weeks for the first few sets).
	I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had their P. in for
service.  The dealer I got it from doesn't seem to know much about the
machine and I'm reluctant to give it to him for service, nor do I want to
mail it off to Japan to be fixed (they kept my Seiko for 6 months!).
	All in all, I like the machine, but I have very little use for it if
its going to act flakey.  Any and all input, good or bad would be welcome.
E-mail to me and I'll post a summary soon
	Thanks,
		Randy
Randy Lee
SL2FX@cc.usu.edu                    (Still looking for something to put here)

bdahlen@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Robert L. Dahlen - U. of Denver USA=) (08/09/90)

In article <29415@cc.usu.edu> SL2FX@cc.usu.edu (Randy Lee - Utah State University, Logan, UT) writes:
>Hi Netters!
>	I've been having quite a bit of difficulty with my Portfolio lately.
>The middle of long text files seem to vanish, the copy con routine will not
>accept lines longer than 9 characters and it's running down the batteries in
>about 3 weeks (as opposed to 6 or seven weeks for the first few sets).
>	I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had their P. in for
>service.  The dealer I got it from doesn't seem to know much about the
>machine and I'm reluctant to give it to him for service, nor do I want to
>mail it off to Japan to be fixed (they kept my Seiko for 6 months!).

Two things that might help:

On the Atari BBS there is a "fix" program to repair some bugs like the
Copy Con problems.  Also, there was a addendum that came with my manual
that said something about using a CONFIG.SYS with certain perameters.
I don't have it here at work though:-(.

Bob
Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INET:bdahlen@du.edu BITNET:bdahlen@ducair UUCP:ncar!dunike!bdahlen
Robert L. Dahlen - Director, Information Systems & Technology
University of Denver - Denver, Colorado 80208 (303) 871-4385
INET:bdahlen@du.edu BITNET:bdahlen@ducair UUCP:ncar!dunike!bdahlen

jccw@poobah.mitre.org (John C. C. White) (08/09/90)

Rapid rundown of the Portfolio's batteries can be caused by setting the
display refresh speed to Fast.  The effect of that is to turn the machine
on once per second, rather than once every two minutes, when you think
it is sitting there in your briefcase|pocket|drawer turned off.  You can
see the screen flash briefly every time it does this.

John White (jccw@mitre.org)