[comp.sys.handhelds] Programmable alpha on for HP48?

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) (08/03/90)

Having searched repeatedly through the FM (as in RTFM), I cannot determine
how to turn alpha mode on *from a program* in the HP48. Surely there must
be a way -- hard to imagine the 48 would lack a capability of the 41! Am I
missing something, or is it impossible? Is there a pair of SYSEVALs which
will turn alpha on and off? By the way, I realize that INPUT allows you to
specify alpha on, but that's no help -- I'm writing a program which serves
as an alternative to INPUT, allowing one to design whatever sort of input
screen one wants in PICT. HELP!

billw@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (William C Wickes) (08/07/90)

There is no way (other than with INPUT) to turn on alpha mode in HP 48SX
user language.  An oversight? No; INPUT seems the right place to provide
that capability--the ROM is full and there's 10000 other capabilities
that are just as desirable.   Terrible? Hardly.  Something the 41 has
that the 48 doesn't?  Well, the 48 doesn't have an alpha register either.

Before suggesting any alternate approach, we'd need to know more about
your program.  I fear that turning on alpha mode may be the least of your
problems if you're trying to emulate INPUT; for example, how are you
going to freeze the display (longer than to the next keypress) to keep
your graphics in view while data entry is happening?

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (William Busa) (08/07/90)

In article <25590042@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM> billw@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (William C Wickes) writes:
>There is no way (other than with INPUT) to turn on alpha mode in HP 48SX
>user language.  An oversight? No; INPUT seems the right place to provide
>that capability--the ROM is full and there's 10000 other capabilities
>that are just as desirable.   Terrible? Hardly.  Something the 41 has
>that the 48 doesn't?  Well, the 48 doesn't have an alpha register either.
>
>Before suggesting any alternate approach, we'd need to know more about
>your program.  I fear that turning on alpha mode may be the least of your
>problems if you're trying to emulate INPUT; for example, how are you
>going to freeze the display (longer than to the next keypress) to keep
>your graphics in view while data entry is happening?

	First let me say that, in responding to Mr. Wickes' timely and
helpful answer to my question concerning the lack of a programmable
alpha-on in the 48, it is most definitely *NOT* my intention to start a
flame war or a round of HP-bashing, nor to second-guess the 48 design
team. What I *do* wish to do is to initiate a round of constructive user
feedback so that HP might better meet users' needs in future products.

	The HP-48SX is a superb machine with a host of long-prayed-for
features which, I think, make it the first true hand-held computer (in the
sense of a general purpose computing device, as opposed to a more
restricted *devoted* device such as a calculator). A hallmark of modern
computers is *a high degree of flexibility in the design of interactive
I/O* -- in particular, in the programmer's ability to control the screen
as the user employs the keyboard. On this one count, I find the 48 to fall
well short of what I consider reasonable expectations.

	The available programmable user commands controlling
keyboard-based I/O -- i.e., PROMPT and INPUT -- are handy for their
intended purposes, but do not permit the programmer to control the screen
fully during input. In particular, INPUT is restricted to the stack
display (although stack operations are disabled). The programmer who
wishes to display the graphics screen during data input is, apparently,
out of luck. This lack of functionality *severely* restricts the
programmer's options.

	I have recently tried to write a work-around for this problem, but
with little success. Using "0 WAIT" to catch keypresses while displaying
the graphics screen works, but is too slow when key location numbers must
be converted to alpha characters using user commands (as opposed to
machine language, which is well beyond me!). The alternative of
"automating" this coding process by assigning alpha strings to keys in
USER mode is even slower, and the key assignments take forever to load.
Perhaps I have overlooked the correct approach to the problem (stranger
things have happened!) or perhaps there simply is no solution, short of
machine-language programming (shudder).

	I (and, I hope, HP) would be interested in hearing other users'
opinions on the subject. Am I expecting too much from the machine? Are
there instances in which "Life is short and ROM is full" is not the
appropriate answer? And if this is not such an instance, could HP supply a
RAM-based solution (i.e., a set of *fast* -- and presumably
machine-language-based -- programs for *flexibly* controlling the screen
during input? Would other users welcome this as much as I would?

	Again, congratulations to Mr. Wickes and the rest of HP on
building a marvelous machine. After a month of intensive use, the above is
my *only* significant gripe -- which, considering the fact that I'm a
dyed-in-the-wool curmudgeon, is high praise, indeed!

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (08/07/90)

Could you use 0 WAIT in a loop with a lookup table to achieve this?  I agree
it's not pretty, but it might be a way around having to use INPUT.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

pedz@bigben.mpd.tandem.com (Perry Smith) (08/07/90)

I agree completely with William Busa.  The thing that HP might have
missed is they have produced too good of a machine.  I did not buy the
48 for a "calculator".  Instead I bought it as an electronic check
book.  (Something which the market still has not addressed.)  I use it
to hold all my check entries and I sorta went off the deep end and
added all of my credit card transactions and all sorts of neat stuff.
Sure it is not a qwerty keyboard but alot of the personal orginanizer
things are not qwerty either.  Plus I am such an HP bigot that I
literally can not deal with anything but RPN when I want to use a
calculator.  So the point is that I think I am probably using the
machine for something they never envisioned.

Back to the basic question though: the INPUT and PROMPT things are not
enough.  I think the original intent was to use menus more than I do
now but it just doesn't fit in my application.  It might also be that
I am use to the 41's style of input which is not really what the 48
does.

pedz

scottb@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Scott_Burke) (08/11/90)

Yes, 0 WAIT with lookup table is the way to go.

See the Equation Library interactive molecular weight calculator for
an example that uses GROBs and the graphic display.

Also see my later post on this subject.

scott.