[comp.sys.handhelds] HP promo

alexw@mipos2.intel.com (Alex Witkowski) (08/13/90)

Yes, HP does have a promotion.  The offer is a free Equation Library for anyone
who purchases an HP48SX (or pays $25 for the Library and buys an HP28S ??)
between August 15 and October 15 and sends in the coupon with receipt before
November 15.  Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale has had the coupons for about a
month, but they disapear quickly.  I wonder also whether HP's motivation is to
get rid of the D ROM's and start introducing E ROM's after the promotion.  This
is why I am not sure whether to take them up on the offer.

R3DLB%AKRONVM@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (David Bartlett) (08/14/90)

I agree with Davin Yap.

Why did HP give a promo this long after introducing the 48SX ?

If I had known about a promo, I would have held off buying one
 until the promo. I want to get a equasion card, but $80+ is a
 little on the steep side for me after buying 48SX. Is HP
 going to do something for the people who have already purchased
 the 48SX ? (I.E. send in your receipt/proof of purchase, and
 maybe get a discount or a free card (I know this is too much
 to ask for)). We should HP a chance to prove it's caring
 for its customers.

David Bartlett   (r3dlb@vm1.cc.uakron.edu OR R3DLB@AKRONVM.BITNET)
University of Akron
Acknowledge-To: <R3DLB@AKRONVM>

frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (Mac the Ripper/ / / /) (08/14/90)

In article <9008131714.AA20780@hercules.csl.sri.com> R3DLB%AKRONVM@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (David Bartlett) writes:

>I agree with Davin Yap.
>
>Why did HP give a promo this long after introducing the 48SX ?

I too agree.  It is all the more frustrating because I bought my hp48 a
little over a month ago.  It is too late to retrun it and get a vers D rom
and I am quite broke now anyway after having to replace my stolem bicycle
before school starts.  I was really thinking that I would like the equation
card for school an now that I can't afford it, hp is giving them away.
This does seem a bit screwy to me.  I have great respect for the quality of
hp products even with a few flaws, But my respect for their marketing
strategy is wanning.  Like a few other people here, I feel jipped.

	ian frechett                 frechett@snoopy.colorado.edu

dean@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Dean Swan) (08/14/90)

From article <9008131714.AA20780@hercules.csl.sri.com>, by R3DLB%AKRONVM@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (David Bartlett):
> I agree with Davin Yap.

Add my name to the list of enraged customers.  I love my 48SX (it follows
after my 32C, 33E, 34C, and 42S).  Hows that for HP loyalty?

-Dean Swan
dean@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (08/14/90)

I too would like to chime in with my 2 cents worth --- or should I say, $80
worth -- regarding the HP promo which gives away HP SOLVE Equation Library
Cards.  I'm really getting angry with some of HP's dealings with its long-
time users.   Here we rush out to support HP and get the rev A HP48SXs, and
then can't even get a straight answer (if ANY answer at all) about updating
ROMS.   Then we plunk down $80 for the Equation Library card, only to find
out -- once we realize that nobody is going to use more than a few equations
found therein -- that HP is now going to give the d*mn thing away to others
who presumably must be enticed to buy an HP product!

I nearly scratched HP off my list when they ignored the HP75, and then killed
HP-IL.   Now I'm ready to uncap my pen to do it.

Signed,
     Pissed in El Paso
     sjthomas@cup.portal.com   (Stephen J Thomas)
'
P.S.  I don't intend my angry comments to imply that the card is not a
     wonder of programming.  Eric Vogel & his crew did a great job in
     designing this product, but I just don't see the market.  Why spend
     $80 or more when most of the equation HAVE to be in fields other than
     one's own.  OK, OK, it's for the minehunt game.

sjt

scrutton@ac.dal.ca (08/14/90)

You bought the 48. No one made you do it. Being readers of c.s.h
you surely heard about versionitis. But no, you couldn't wait.

Well it appears a few of us have and maybe sales are slugging a bit
so they put on an offer to get the steam up. A free $150 piece of
plastic and silicon is not enough to entice me into buying a 48sx.
I would love to have one but won't consider it until the ROMs have
stabilized. My 28s will do until then.

I'm not flaming current owners. I'm trying to tell HP something here.
We don't mind paying for quality -- don't rush it; the 48 was a preme.
Surely competitors are still well behind.

PS: Will palmtops kill the calculator?

-Jeff Scrutton               Technical University of Nova Scotia, Canada
BITNET:   scrutton@dalac               Electrical engineering department
INTERNET: scrutton@ac.dal.ca           Programming, ant: the Turing test

ERSHC@CUNYVM (08/15/90)

Add another name to list of pissed HP lovers. I was lucky enough to
not be able to afford the 48sx until ROM D came out. I've had mine for 2
months now, and I'm very unhappy that I didn't wait. And to think that
I have considered leaving academia to work for them (as if they'd have me)!!
-------

 eric schweitzer                   seek it with thimbles, seek it with care,
                                              pursue it with forks and hope,
 ershc@cunyvm.cuny.edu             threaten its  life with a  railway-share,
      @cunyvm.bitnet                          charm it with smiles and soap.

mea1@uafhcx.uucp (Mark _E_ Amos) (08/15/90)

  Congratulations, consumers - you have just taken part in what is popularly
  known as "field beta testing" with a twist:  You PAID HP to test their
  product.  Now that you've gotten the majority of the bugs discovered and hp
  has Rev D up with no "major" flaws, it's time to really begin genuine sales
  and promotions to the public.  All you loyal hp fans out there have served a
  great purpose in the scheme of things, and you should be glad you paid for
  the priviledge...

Just too bad I too dropped the cash for both the SX and the Eq. Lib card.  I
don't think the Rev E theory is true - I believe the above paragraph is closer
to the truth, as I have seen this tactic before (the American auto makers have
been at it for years), but never thought HP would
lower themselves to this depth.  This product, while arguably the greatest
handheld to hit the market, will most likely be the LAST HP product I own
unless they respond to this line of postings with a reasonable explanation and
hopefully some restitution for those of us who have contributed significantly
to their success in handhelds et. al.

At this point someone will be inclined to tell us to quit whining and be glad
it works so well for the money - but the issue here is the underhanded beta
models that were intensionally put on the market for us hardcore nerds to buy
up and find bugs, then not providing a ROM upgrade path, THEN taking the
refined version to market with an "introductory" (ha!) promo that WE are
entitled to!  I held my tongue on the (nonexistent) ROM upgrade path but this
is too much.  It's not so much we didn't get our money's worth, but more the
blatent underhandedness and slap in the face to us HP loyalists.  My sentiments
toward Corporate America are worsening by the hour, and with the loss of an old
friend like HP to the fast buck mentality, I grieve all the more.

Regretfully yours,

mea1@uafhcx.uark.edu
Computer Science Engineering

kevinc@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Kevin E Cosgrove) (08/15/90)

In article <1854@ac.dal.ca> scrutton@ac.dal.ca writes:
>You bought the 48. No one made you do it. Being readers of c.s.h
>you surely heard about versionitis. But no, you couldn't wait.

	Like you I waited until I thought the ROM would have stablized.
	With the present pace of product development I'd venture to
	guess that there are no products with the amount of firmware as
	an HP 48SX that are completely bug free before there obsolete --
	I doubt there will be in the forseable future.  The trick is to
	buy something early enough that it's still a good value for the
	money, but late enough that it's going to be "clean".

[stuff deleted]

>I'm not flaming current owners. I'm trying to tell HP something here.
>We don't mind paying for quality -- don't rush it; the 48 was a preme.
>Surely competitors are still well behind.

	I can't agree with the 48 being a "preme".  Have you ever been a
	"beta test site" for a product?  If I remember some of the bugs
	and their versions correctly, version A was the only one with
	potentially fatal errors (e.g.:  memory erased during backup
	when clock is running).

>PS: Will palmtops kill the calculator?

	I already know of people who don't have use for a calculator --
	they use math applications on PCs/Macs.  I reminded a gentleman
	of that fact that as a student one can't take a PC to a test,
	but calculators are allowed.

	I would hope that HP is looking into porting a "virtual
	calculator" to a windowed computer environment.  That would be
	very slick for me.  I'd like to be able to up/down load to/from
	the real and "virtual" calculators as well.

P.S.:	Does anyone know if there are plans in the works to offer custom
	application cards?  For instance I'd pick EE equations, units,
	constants, and periodic table stuff for my custom package.
	Yamaha offers custom voice ROM packs for their MIDI musical
	instruments.

        Kevin Cosgrove          bucket.UUCP!cathouse!kevinc
        OSU EE Senior           tektronix!tessi!bucket!cathouse!kevinc
        (503)-297-6067          kevinc%cathouse.uucp@bucket.UUCP

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (08/15/90)

Someone recently mentioned that HP released the HP48 "in a rush" so the publi
could discover its bugs. On the contrary - so far all the bugs in versions
A through D were discovered IN HOUSE. Bill Wickes explains pretty much the
history of the ROM development and the bug list in his talk at the Chicago
HP Handheld Users Conference. None of the the bugs are fatal. If only 7 or so
bugs exist in 256K of ROM code, shouldn't that really be considered a
sort of milestone in software development? They can't just start making
chips in a frenzy, and if they discover a minor bug just scrap the whole
mess and throw out the first umpteen thousand chips for the next revision.
If they are to make any sort of schedule (and the machine was ALREADY several
months late by all rumors that circulated last year) they've gotta ship
what's done and fix the minor things along the way. Since none of these bugs
so far discovered are "killers", the way HP went about it seems logical to
me.

Jake Schwartz

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (08/15/90)

1)  I too am upset up the promo.  Does HP really think that any of us are
going to run out and but any new HP products any more?  I don't know about
the rest of you, but I know that I am going to wait next time and see what
happens.

2) The deal with older ROMS is, you call HP and get on the list.  Then around
the end of the year they send you a letter telling you where to send your
48sx.  Then you send it in and get back a version E rom.  The catch is that
they are only doing this for revision A, B and C.  The good part is that it
is free.

One nice thing and one bad.  Oh well.

Michael

In article <90226.152004ALC@psuvm.psu.edu> ALC@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Why does HPs new promotions change that?

I think that HP is making a mistake.  We went out and payed for our calculators
when they were new.  That was good for HP.  Think we are going to do that next
time?

Michael

kevinw@portia.Stanford.EDU (Kevin Rudd) (08/15/90)

I'm amazed!  I just sent out my message and already HP is changing!
Its too bad that there will be such a delay in upgrading ROMs but,...

Maybe loyalty isn't dead---its just waiting for the right time to
really surprise you!

So, there's HOPE yet!  Let's work on making loyalty and support the
rule rather than the exception.

  -- Kevin

r91400@memqa.uucp (Michael C. Grant) (08/15/90)

In article <5088@uafhp.uark.edu>, mea1@uafhcx.uucp (Mark _E_ Amos) writes:
> up and find bugs.. then not providing a ROM upgrade path, THEN taking the
> refined version to market with an "introductory" (ha!) promo that WE are
> entitled to!  I held my tongue on the (nonexistent) ROM upgrade path but this
> is too much.  It's not so much we didn't get our money's worth, but more the
> blatent underhandedness and slap in the face to us HP loyalists.

I understand the grief about the new ROMs being unavailable to previous
purchasers.  That is a genuine beef in my opinion.  But, this whining
about not getting the 'introductory promotion' is ridiculous!

Car companies have specials all the time, and nobody complains this
vehemently when, two months after they bought their new car, the company
jacks up the rebate a few hundred dollars because they're not selling
enough of them!

So, why should you feel entitled to get this 'promo' that they have
decided will help them sell their new models?  This same whining occurred
when Amiga decided to start shipping extra memory with their computers and
dropped their prices--everybody whined that they should get the free memory,
too.  Sorry, no dice.  Amiga NEEDED to do something to boost sales, and
perhaps so does HP.  After all, it IS awfully expensive for a calculator,
and I know that when I speak to freshmen I tell them NOT to waste their
money on one without finding a SPECIFIC purpose for them.

NeXT, who retrofitted all of the original NeXT purchasers with accelerator
hard drives for free, and Chrysler, who 'guaranteed' that they will make
up the difference if their rebates go up within the year, are exceptions
to the rule which should be applauded.  It is an innovative (and EXPENSIVE)
practive, and those companies who don't practice it should not be criticized.

Again, I understand that not being able to upgrade the ROMs is a big
complaint.  I'm not arguing that.  But when a company offers a new
free offer, or a new rebate, it's not backstabbing, it's business.

Michael C. Grant

daver@ECE.ORST.EDU (Dave Rabinowitz) (08/16/90)

In article <9008131714.AA20780@hercules.csl.sri.com> R3DLB%AKRONVM@VM1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (David Bartlett) writes:
>If I had known about a promo, I would have held off buying one

This kind of posting occurs every time HP introduces anything new.  For
example, when the 28S was introduced there was a flurry of complaints by people
who had recently purchased a 28C, and similarly in many other cases.  HP
learned a hard lesson many years ago when it first introduced the Series E
calculators (3xE).  Up to that time the Woodstock calculators (2x) were selling
well but as soon as the new series was announced sales of those calculators
dried up.  Unfortunately, a problem with a vendor of a key component prevented
HP from shipping the new calculators for almost a year, and the calculator
division lost millions of dollars.  The same situation, announcing a product
before it could be shipped, put the Osborne Computer Company out of business.

The one thing you can be sure of is that if you wait something new will come
out.  You have to decide whether the thing you're planning to purchase is worth
the cost to you today, and if it is then buy it.  Otherwise you'll never buy
anything.

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (08/17/90)

In article <32806@cup.portal.com> Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) writes:
>None of the the bugs are fatal.

Except for the KGET bug.  (FYI: If you try to KGET a zero length item from your
PC, it trashes your memory.)

Michael

rodmur@csuchico.edu (D.A. Harris) (08/17/90)

In article <5088@uafhp.uark.edu> mea1@uafhcx.uucp (Mark _E_ Amos) writes:

>  Congratulations, consumers - you have just taken part in what is popularly
>  known as "field beta testing" with a twist:  You PAID HP to test their
>  product.  Now that you've gotten the majority of the bugs discovered and hp
>  has Rev D up with no "major" flaws, it's time to really begin genuine sales
>  and promotions to the public.  All you loyal hp fans out there have served a
>  great purpose in the scheme of things, and you should be glad you paid for
>  the priviledge...
>
>Just too bad I too dropped the cash for both the SX and the Eq. Lib card.  I
>don't think the Rev E theory is true - I believe the above paragraph is closer
>to the truth, as I have seen this tactic before (the American auto makers have
>been at it for years), but never thought HP would
>lower themselves to this depth.  This product, while arguably the greatest

I think HP has always done this, just what do you think the 28C was except one
big test.  I rather felt burned when the 28S came out only a year later.
So I really have no simpathy for any of you, all the corporations do this,
it's life, face it, wake up and smell the roses, etc.,etc.,etc.,. One big
blunder and they could face losing tens or even hundreds of millions, and
that's not good in this day with everbody focused on short-term profits.

Dale A. Harris          Chaotically Yours,
rodmur@ecst.csuchico.edu  __     __   _    ,
{Internet}               /  )   /  ) ' )  /
                        /  /   /--/   /--/
                       /__/ o /  ( o /  ( o

mike@DRD.Com (Mike Rovak) (08/17/90)

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) wrote:
} I too would like to chime in with my 2 cents worth --- or should I say, $80
} worth -- regarding the HP promo which gives away HP SOLVE Equation Library
} Cards.  I'm really getting angry with some of HP's dealings with its long-
} time users...[other stuff deleted]

I was about to run out (like so many others) and get one when I discovered
this newsgroup.  You guys saved me a lot of heartache.

I won't be buying ANYTHING until I see a ROM revision talked about for a few
months with NO mention of bugs.

HP -- I assume that your marketing folks must have been falling all over
themselves to get this thing out the door.  I am a software developer also,
and I know from experience that this means WATCH OUT - USER BEWARE most of
the time.  Of course, it's a lot easier to replace a diskette than it is
to tear apart a robot-assembled, soldered and sealed machine.

If this kind of thing is expected to happen again, would it be too much
trouble to design the calculator so that the ROM could be interchanged by
the user?  Guys like me wouldn't mind paying for a ROM upgrade to cover
your costs, we'd be too ecstatic about being able to keep our machine
current.

Disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
     mike@DRD.Com
     uunet!apctrc!drd!mike

daver@ECE.ORST.EDU (Dave Rabinowitz) (08/18/90)

In article <32806@cup.portal.com> Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) writes:
>.... .. ......... .. ........ ...........? They can't just start making
>chips in a frenzy, and if they discover a minor bug just scrap the whole
>mess and throw out the first umpteen thousand chips for the next revision.

Actually HP has done this on several occasions.  A classic situation was when
the Series-C calculators were first being put into production.  A problem was
found with the ROM chips which caused them to incorrectly read a few locations
under very rare power conditions.  HP threw out several hundred thousand
dollars worth of chips and delayed introduction a couple of months for that.
The code for the 38C had a bug which wasn't found until the chip was in
production.  Those chips were thrown away.  The key question is how much are
customers willing to pay in increased prices to avoid MINOR bugs with
workarounds?  If the rev B-D ROMS had been discarded and introduction of
the calculator postponed for a few months, guess where the money to do this
would have had to have come from?