[comp.sys.handhelds] How compatible is the HP-28S with the HP-48SX?

mday@iconsys (Matt Day) (08/22/90)

I recently upgraded my 28S to a 48SX, and I have a couple of initial questions
about how compatible my 28S is with the 48SX:

--

Does the FAST program (listed below) that set the clock speed on the 28S work
for the 48SX?

<<
  RCLF
  4 STWS
  #Fh #FFF00h BAG
  STOF

Of course, I'd use the recently posted POKE program for the 48SX, rather than
BAG, but is #FFF00h the correct offset to poke the #Fh, or am I stuck in slow
mode?  The 28S is quite a bit faster than the 48SX when the clock speed has
been increased like this.

--

Is it possible to somehow transfer my stuff on the 28S to the 48SX via the
infrared IO port?  Perhaps I could send my programs on the 28S to the infrared

--
/* Matthew T. Day, Sanyo/ICON, mday@iconsys.icon.com || uunet!iconsys!mday */

prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) (08/22/90)

>Does the FAST program that set the clock speed on the 28S work
>for the 48SX?

No, the 48SX is already running at the "fast" speed and the speed
cannot be changed.

>Of course, I'd use the recently posted POKE program for the 48SX, rather than
>BAG, but is #FFF00h the correct offset to poke the #Fh, or am I stuck in slow
>mode?

The memory map for the 48 is considerably different, the control registers
now start at #00100h.  There is no longer a speed control register.

>The 28S is quite a bit faster than the 48SX when the clock speed has
>been increased like this.

The 28 may be slightly faster doing display operations when the 28 is
in fast mode but other operations should be about the same.

>Is it possible to somehow transfer my stuff on the 28S to the 48SX via the
>infrared IO port?  Perhaps I could send my programs on the 28S to the infrared
>port like I was printing to the printer, and read and translate the data on
>the 48SX end back into normal program format?

I posted a program to do just that a few months ago.  You will need a cable
to download the program since it is binary and cannot be typed in.

Preston

mday@iconsys (Matt Day) (08/23/90)

In article <25590049@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM> prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) writes:
>>The 28S is quite a bit faster than the 48SX when the clock speed has
>>been increased like this.
>
>The 28 may be slightly faster doing display operations when the 28 is
>in fast mode but other operations should be about the same.

Not true; I have a couple of mathematical programs (simple prime number
generator and a PI digit calculation program) that have nothing to do with
the screen, and both run *considerably* faster (nearly twice as fast, I'd say)
on the 28S.  Also, when I run the FAST program on the 28S, simple commands like
"edit" come up a lot faster; I wouldn't the operations that "edit" does when
when it's coming up very screen-bound.
--
/* Matthew T. Day, Sanyo/ICON, mday@iconsys.icon.com || uunet!iconsys!mday */

r91400@memqa.uucp (Michael C. Grant) (08/24/90)

In article <69@iconsys>, mday@iconsys (Matt Day) writes:
> Does the FAST program (listed below) that set the clock speed on the 28S work
> for the 48SX?
>
> <<
>   RCLF
>   4 STWS
>   #Fh #FFF00h BAG
>   STOF

Will someone please E-MAIL me the explanation of this seemingly handy
routine for the 28S, as well as the code for BAG?  I have never come
across this 'speedup' before, and I would like to know its limitations.

Thank you!
Michael C. Grant

johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl/104857600) (08/25/90)

From article <69@iconsys>, by mday@iconsys (Matt Day):
> Does the FAST program (listed below) that set the clock speed on the 28S work
> for the 48SX?

No. The 48's clock speed is hardwired at the max speed you could squeeze out
of your 28 through FAST.

> Is it possible to somehow transfer my stuff on the 28S to the 48SX via the
> infrared IO port?  Perhaps I could send my programs on the 28S to the infrared
> port like I was printing to the printer, and read and translate the data on
> the 48SX end back into normal program format?

This is done by the INPRT program contained on the disk that comes with
the serial interface kit.
--
This does not reflect the   | Johann  Schweigl | DOS?
opinions of my employer.    | johnny@edvvie.at | Kind of complicated