[comp.sys.handhelds] disabling menu bar

mheubi@.uucp (Heubi Matthias) (08/30/90)

Hi, it's the first time, I post a message.
so please don't worry, if there's something wrong .. :-))

Is there any possibility to switch off (fade out) the
soft key assignment (lowest display line) on the HP-48.

there is the FREEZE command which allows an argument of 4.
that would'nt make any sense, if it's impossible to put some
text there!!

BTW: since the KEY-SYSEVALS were posted, it's no problem to turn
Alpha lock on: << #40D25h SYSEVAL >>  (But how turn it off again??)

Matthew

howard@lysator.liu.se (MindWalker) (08/30/90)

mheubi@.uucp (Heubi Matthias) writes:

>Is there any possibility to switch off (fade out) the
>soft key assignment (lowest display line) on the HP-48.

>there is the FREEZE command which allows an argument of 4.
>that would'nt make any sense, if it's impossible to put some
>text there!!

As far as I've been able to make out, there is NO way to turn off the
menu bar on the HP-48SX, provided you still want an INTERACTIVE keyboard.
You can use { } PVIEW which will display your GROB without the meny keys,
but the only interaction you've got is the same as in the Graphic Scroll
Mode, ie, scroll picture with cursor keys and hit return to get back to
stack view (plus one or two other commands that I've forgotten at the
moment. Consult your manual if you need to know).

One way around it would be to find the display area for the last (four ?)
lines of the screen and poke then all to zeros. This ought to work until
the 48 updates the screen again (which can be rather requently).

As for the FREEZE command: Doesn't that work on the priciple of adding the
required field numbers ?  In this case, << 4 FREEZE >> would freeze display
areas 1 and 3.

Question:

   When using CST for menus with multiple levels, it would be nice two mimic
the 48's usage of a little bar across the menu label of those items with
sub levels. The ideal way (from my point of view) of doing this would be
to use something along the lines of << <menu_item> #XXYYZZ SYSEVAL >> where
<menu_item> is a number X, 1 <= X <= 6, describing over which label to
print the bar.

/MHd

--
Programming isn't a science,         | EMAIL: howard@lage.lysator.liu.se