[comp.sys.handhelds] Reset button under foot

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (08/28/90)

frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (Mac the Ripper/ / / /) writes:
>Nope... Thanks for the tip, BUT this is the *Directory From HELL*.
>It is realllllly screwed.  I tryed a PGDIR and it locked up on me.
>[...]
>I got the standard..
>Try to recover memory?
>Yes                No
>and I tryed Yes.  Then got
>Recovering Memory                and it froze.

Yeah, I accidentally created a directory like this while porting some
library translation software.  Except when I went to recover memory, I
got all my directories (minus the offending directory) in the home
directory, except each had a numeric name.  In other words, my entire
directory tree seemed to have been collapsed in the recovery.

Undaunted, I restored my memory from a prior backup.  It is times like
these that I silently praise those who designed full (and convenient!)
I/O into the hp48.

>Nothing would kill it at this point.  I would have resorted to pulling the
>batteries but luckly someone sent me a message about the little reset button
>under the foot as a responce to my second post.  So... it is clean again.

OK, WAIT A MINUTE!  What reset button?  I just looked in the index of
my manuals under "reset," "clearing memory," "button," and even "feet"
but found no mention of a hardware reset switch.  Then I removed all
of the feet, and sure enough under the upper-left-hand foot (when it
is turned over) there is a hole (with what looks like metal
underneath) next to a capital "R".  I assume this is the reset button.
Will someone please tell me what this does exactly (HP?)?  I would
press it now, but I haven't done a backup recently.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Dad, don't give in to mob mentality!"
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene                                -- Bart Simpson

dove@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Ray Rischpater) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug27.180357.7754@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:
>frechett@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (Mac the Ripper/ / / /) writes:
>
>>Nothing would kill it at this point.  I would have resorted to pulling the
>>batteries but luckly someone sent me a message about the little reset button
>>under the foot as a responce to my second post.  So... it is clean again.
>
>OK, WAIT A MINUTE!  What reset button?  I just looked in the index of
>my manuals under "reset," "clearing memory," "button," and even "feet"
>but found no mention of a hardware reset switch.  Then I removed all
>of the feet, and sure enough under the upper-left-hand foot (when it
>is turned over) there is a hole (with what looks like metal
>underneath) next to a capital "R".  I assume this is the reset button.
>Will someone please tell me what this does exactly (HP?)?  I would
>press it now, but I haven't done a backup recently.

In the interests of science, I have just backed up my SX and will now
press the button.  I turned off the SX, unplugged it from my PC, and tagged
the button while watching the display.  When I next turn the calculator on, the
hourglass turns on, the screen contrast flickers a bit, it draws the stack
display, clears the display, flickers, and then leaves me in my HOME
directory, with all my flags the way they were, along with all of my variables.

Pressing the button with the calculator on >immediately< turns off the cal-
culator (No hourglass, pause, or anything.  The screen just goes grey.)  When
I turn it on, I go through the stuff in the last paragraph.

Does anyone at HP in the handhelds division want to enlighten us as to
>what< I've just reset?  All of my user memory, flags, the time, custom
keys, and my alarms are all still intact.  Does it just go through some
"cold boot" procedure, maybe the same one it runs after leaving COMA mode?
(I didn't think so either.)

It's nice to know it's there.  What's it do?

--
--     dove@ucscg.ucsc.edu  		  Ray Rischpater
--     dove@ucscb.ucsc.edu		  (408) 426-0716