[comp.sys.handhelds] WARNING!

tbone@hubcap.clemson.edu (Anthony H Behrens) (09/12/90)

Wouldn't your HP 48SX be void of it's warranty if you were to make that
cable and use it on your calculator? If something were to happen to the
calculator that was caused from the cable that you made, it seems that HP
would reject your warranty claim and you'd have to pay through the nose
to have it fixed. So it would be cheaper in the long run to go ahead
and buy the cable. I'm just speculating, no definites here.

Any takers?

Tony Behrens
tbone@hubcap.clemson.edu

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (09/12/90)

In article <10427@hubcap.clemson.edu> tbone@hubcap.clemson.edu (Anthony H Behrens) writes:
>Wouldn't your HP 48SX be void of it's warranty if you were to make that
>cable and use it on your calculator? If something were to happen to the
>calculator that was caused from the cable that you made, it seems that HP
>would reject your warranty claim and you'd have to pay through the nose
>to have it fixed. So it would be cheaper in the long run to go ahead
>and buy the cable. I'm just speculating, no definites here.
>
>Any takers?

Don't think so.  Consider that there are thousands and thousands of computers
out there that use cables that are made by many different companies and even
custom cables made for specific uses.  Less say I take my handy sparc station
(just joking) and make a bunch of specialized cables to do a specific job.
Less say, one of those shorts and damages something.  Did I void the warrantee?
If so then what other options did I have?  I know you are going to say that in
the case of te hp48sx my option is that I could buy it from HP.  I would have
to say that, that is not an option.  I can't afford to literally throw away
money on a $5 (at most) cable.  If this voids the warrantee then something is
seriously wrong with HP's warantee.  ANYWAY, what sort of damage might you
be expecting?  I can't damage the hp with my cable.  Granted, if you don't know
what you are doing then that is your tough luck, but if the cable is built to
the correct specifications then what could go wrong?  Just me $.02

	ian frechett

-=Runaway Daemon=-