[comp.sys.handhelds] HP 35 manuals, anybody got them ?

routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com (Kevin Routh x622) (08/13/90)

I have a HP-35 which I rescued from the trash can.  It was broken but I
restored it to working order but I lack a case and a manual for it.
Can anyone help me?

--
Kevin Routh (routh@eltanin.rtp.semi.harris.com)
Harris Intelligent Power Products, Durham, NC

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (08/14/90)

re: Kevin Routh's inquiry for a HP35 case & manual

Although I'm sure the 35 came with a printed manual, virtually the entire
essence of the 35 is on the label on its underside.

And sort of changing the topic in a message stream, but it is related,
Bill Wickes mentioned at the recent Chicago HP user's conference (and
can be seen in the Jake Schwartz video tape series!) that the 35 had one
bug in its firmware.  Does anybody know what this bug is?

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (08/15/90)

In article <32757@cup.portal.com> sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) writes:

> And sort of changing the topic in a message stream, but it is related,
> Bill Wickes mentioned at the recent Chicago HP user's conference (and
> can be seen in the Jake Schwartz video tape series!) that the 35 had one
> bug in its firmware.  Does anybody know what this bug is?

If memory serves, it was the tan() of a very specific small angle (though
I could be confused in my "bugs vs. models memory").

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

swp@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Steve Peurifoy) (08/17/90)

> And sort of changing the topic in a message stream, but it is related,
> Bill Wickes mentioned at the recent Chicago HP user's conference (and
> can be seen in the Jake Schwartz video tape series!) that the 35 had one
> bug in its firmware.  Does anybody know what this bug is?

The bug that I am aware of affected only early versions of the HP-35.  If
you took the natural log of 2.02 and then raised e to the resulting number
you got back 2 even!!  I'm not sure but I believe the error is in the e^x
function.  The reason 2.02 reveals this bug is related to the decimal
shift-add algorithms used to calculate the functions in the HP-35; there
are other numbers that give similar errors.

I wish I had one of the affected HP-35's; they might be collector's items.

Steve Peurifoy
HP Logic Systems Division

nickw@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Nick Watkins) (09/12/90)

From article <04aY02JO025N01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, by ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn):
> In article <32757@cup.portal.com> sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) writes:
>>
>> And sort of changing the topic in a message stream, but it is related,
>> Bill Wickes mentioned at the recent Chicago HP user's conference (and
>> can be seen in the Jake Schwartz video tape series!) that the 35 had one
>> bug in its firmware.  Does anybody know what this bug is?
Changing tack again, I once had an HP 32E which used to give Error 9
(error in self test system) quite regularly. HP took it back, stripped
it down & replaced nearly all of it but the bug remained. Does anyone
else know why/how this problem occurred (my 34C seemed to have no such
traumas)?

Nick

"Always ... due to human error" - HAL 9000
--
Dr. Nick Watkins, Space & Plasma Physics Group, School of Mathematical
& Physical Sciences, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton, E.Sussex, BN1 9QH, ENGLAND