[comp.sys.handhelds] Vector question.

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (09/12/90)

I am having a small problem and I am hoping someone can help me see what I must
be doing wrong.  Currently, we are reviewing vectors in Calc and I have been
playing around with all the vector stuff.  I did a bunch of neat stuff with
3d vectors like DOT CROSS etc.... Then today, I wanted to do a simple dot
product of two 2d vectors. I enter.
2 3 ->V2
4 5 ->V2
and get
(2,3)
(4,5)
on the stack.  These are NOT vectors.  The only things that I can do with them
is add and subtract ans such.  No DOT....
At this point I had to check 3d so I entered.
2 3 4 ->V3
5 6 7 ->V3
and got
[2 3 4]
[5 6 7]
which is much better... Everything works great with this.  I am now thinking
that there is a flag set wrong or something...
I ahve it set to Decimal, STD, Rectangular.  Polar and spherical change
nothing.  Still () in V2 and [] in V3.    I can't find it in the manual, but
that doesn't mean that it isn't there.  Can anyone help me?  In case it is
relevant, I have a version C ROM.  Thanks for help.....

	ian

--

-=Runaway Daemon=-

zimmer@calvin.tmc.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (09/12/90)

>3d vectors like DOT CROSS etc.... Then today, I wanted to do a simple dot
>product of two 2d vectors. I enter.
>2 3 ->V2
>4 5 ->V2
>and get
>(2,3)
>(4,5)

You have to clear flag -19.  When flag -19 is clear, the 2D key creates
a 2D vector, when it is set, it creates a complex number.

[2,3] is a 2d vector
(2,3) is a complex number

Unfortuantely I don't have the manual with me, or I would give you a page
reference number.  It is also in the QRG on page 7.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Boerjeson @ KTH/LNE, The Royal Inst. of Tech.) (09/12/90)

In article <26087@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) writes:

>I am having a small problem and I am hoping someone can help me see what I must
>be doing wrong.  Currently, we are reviewing vectors in Calc and I have been
>playing around with all the vector stuff.  I did a bunch of neat stuff with
>3d vectors like DOT CROSS etc.... Then today, I wanted to do a simple dot
>product of two 2d vectors. I enter.
>2 3 ->V2
>4 5 ->V2
>and get
>(2,3)
>(4,5)
>on the stack.  These are NOT vectors.  The only things that I can do with them
>is add and subtract ans such.  No DOT....
>At this point I had to check 3d so I entered.
>2 3 4 ->V3
>5 6 7 ->V3
>and got
>[2 3 4]
>[5 6 7]
>which is much better... Everything works great with this.  I am now thinking
>that there is a flag set wrong or something...
>I ahve it set to Decimal, STD, Rectangular.  Polar and spherical change
>nothing.  Still () in V2 and [] in V3.    I can't find it in the manual, but
>that doesn't mean that it isn't there.  Can anyone help me?  In case it is
>relevant, I have a version C ROM.  Thanks for help.....
>
>	ian
>
>--
>
>-=Runaway Daemon=-

You must CLEAR flag -19.