[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48SX purchase opinions wanted

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (09/12/90)

I am now ready to purchase a 48SX. The question is, do I buy before October
15 to get the free equation library card, or do I give this up in order to
wait for the Rev. E ROMS to come out? (I have heard that Rev. D ROM'ers
will not get the Rev. E upgrade that Rev. A, B, and C owners will get.)

I probably won't be a power user, so maybe the bugs (?) in Rev. D won't
bother me. (I looked as far back in this newsgroup as I could, and couldn't
see specific mention of Rev. D's problems.)

Also, has HP said when Rev. E will come out?

Wayne
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (09/12/90)

Wayne Folta writes:

>I am now ready to purchase a 48SX. The question is, do I buy before October
>15 to get the free equation library card, or do I give this up in order to
>wait for the Rev. E ROMS to come out? (I have heard that Rev. D ROM'ers
>will not get the Rev. E upgrade that Rev. A, B, and C owners will get.)

If I'm not mistaken, a letter reproduced in the latest issue of the
British DATAFILE (publication of the HPCC group out of London) from Hewlett
Packard indicated that Rev A, B and C owners aren't going to get rev E
machines at trade in. They will get rev D units, but the exchange will
not take place until after the first of the year, and after some E units
are presumably already on the street. So, I'd say it's a tossup right now.

Jake Schwartz

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (09/13/90)

I was told by the person at HP that I would get a revision E calculator if
they had been released.  He said that the reason for the delay was so that HP
could get rid of their Ds, and if they did so by the end of the year, then I
would gen an E.

Michael

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (09/13/90)

In my last posting about HP48 ROM upgrades I mentioned that the latest issue
of the British Datafile publication had a letter implying that upgrades
would be receiving rev D ROM machines. This turns out to be false. Straight
from the horse's mouth, they tell us that the upgrades will be rev E units.

Speaking of rev E, Richard Nelson at EduCalc reports tonite that rev E
units have already shown up at their store.

Jake Schwartz

DBH106@psuvm.psu.edu (09/13/90)

Who said anything about an upgrade?  Anyone, please post info on this, please!

Dan Harter
DBH106@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
DBH106@PSUVM.BITNET

P.S. Is the equation library going to go down in price?  I'm certainly not
     going to pay $100 for a card that they are giving them away!

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (09/14/90)

In article <33837@cup.portal.com>
   Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) writes:

 > Speaking of rev E, Richard Nelson at EduCalc reports tonite that rev E
 > units have already shown up at their store.

   Is this true? When I called EduCalc to order my 48 less than two
weeks ago I was told E units would not be shipped "until sometime next
year"! So I ordered a D unit. This is not exactly what I had expected
from EduCalc, with which I've had good experience in the past. I think
I'm done doing business with them if this is true. Or perhaps I'll
call and yell yell yell.

sjthomas@cup.portal.com (Stephen J Thomas) (09/14/90)

In a previous article, Jan Brittenson writes:
-----
>In article <33837@cup.portal.com>
>   Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) writes:
>
> > Speaking of rev E, Richard Nelson at EduCalc reports tonite that rev E
> > units have already shown up at their store.
>
>   Is this true? When I called EduCalc to order my 48 less than two
>weeks ago I was told E units would not be shipped "until sometime next
>year"! So I ordered a D unit. This is not exactly what I had expected
>from EduCalc, with which I've had good experience in the past. I think
>I'm done doing business with them if this is true. Or perhaps I'll
>call and yell yell yell.

  Relax!  Don't yell yell yell at EduCALC.  They have no more control
over ROM revisions sent by HP than your local car dealer does controlling
when the new models are introduced.  HP is notorious for not accurately
predicting when entire product lines will be shipped, not to mention
specific ROM revisions (although they have gotten better lately).
You can't fault EduCALC for receiving these ROMs sooner than expected.
EduCALC does a great job providing services to the HP user community which
other firms wouldn't even consider.  I doubt you could even find another
dealer who could figure out a 48 ROM version, or would take the effort
to tell you if they did know.

  You stated that you ordered your 48 less than 2 wks ago. EduCALC has
a 15-day money-back guarantee.  If you're unhappy with your purchase,
you have that option.  Before yelling, try talk talk talking.

Stephen J Thomas
sjthomas@cup.portal.com
sun!portal!cup.portal.com!sjthomas