[comp.sys.handhelds] Binary up/download

byu@csri.toronto.edu (Benjamin Yu) (09/12/90)

Like many, I can't download anything binary from the net to my 48.  The
recent post for CHIP8 is one example.  I uudecode it, download it via
binary kermit on both my PC and the 48, and all I got was a string.  Since
I am not using HP's program and cable, I suspect it is due to some kermit
protocol.  I am using PROCOMM kermit.  Can anyone tell me what should be
the setting for the following:

          Control quote char
	  Maximum packet size
	  Pad character
	  Number of Pad chars
	  8th bit quote char
	  Handshake char
	  End of line char

Thanks for the help!

Benjamin Yu

lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Boerjeson @ KTH/LNE, The Royal Inst. of Tech.) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.094311.513@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, byu@csri.toronto.edu (Benjamin Yu) writes:
>Like many, I can't download anything binary from the net to my 48.  The
>recent post for CHIP8 is one example.  I uudecode it, download it via
>binary kermit on both my PC and the 48, and all I got was a string.  Since
>I am not using HP's program and cable, I suspect it is due to some kermit
>protocol.  I am using PROCOMM kermit.  Can anyone tell me what should be
>the setting for the following:
>
>          Control quote char
>	  Maximum packet size
>	  Pad character
>	  Number of Pad chars
>	  8th bit quote char
>	  Handshake char
>	  End of line char
>
>Thanks for the help!
>
>Benjamin Yu

I my case, there has never been a Kermit problem but a uudecode and file
problem: If the length of the file and the binary object does not agree,
it will be retrieved as a string. Sometimes this has been possible to correct
via simple editing of the binary file, but as the 48 counts nybbles and most
computers bytes, this has required me to ensure that all binary objects are
an even number of nybbles.

But this may of course not be a general problem, but instead caused by my
particular combination of 48 rev. A, Vax/VMS 5.1, Kermit-32 V3.3-122 and
other specific versions of hard-, soft- and wet-ware...

!++
! Lennart Boerjeson, System Manager
! School of Electrical Engineering
! Royal Institute of Technology
! S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
! tel: int+46-8-7907814
! Internet: lennartb@lne.kth.se
!--

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (09/15/90)

In article <0093CA6F.B1045C20@lne.kth.se>, lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Boerjeson @ KTH/LNE, The Royal Inst. of Tech.) writes:
> In article <1990Sep12.094311.513@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, byu@csri.toronto.edu (Benjamin Yu) writes:
>>Like many, I can't download anything binary from the net to my 48.  The
>>recent post for CHIP8 is one example.  I uudecode it, download it via
>>binary kermit on both my PC and the 48, and all I got was a string.
>
> I my case, there has never been a Kermit problem but a uudecode and file
> problem: If the length of the file and the binary object does not agree,
> it will be retrieved as a string. Sometimes this has been possible to correct
> via simple editing of the binary file, but as the 48 counts nybbles and most
> computers bytes, this has required me to ensure that all binary objects are
> an even number of nybbles.

I tend to use CP/M as much as possible when I can get away with it, but since
CP/M rounds thinks up to the next 128 byte length, I can't use CP/M to
download machine code from the net into the '48.

I've decided that this is a feature, not a bug, since it will make development
of CHIP-48 programs very easy. You see, if you omit the header entirely the
calculator decides it's a string so you can simply download a binary
containing the CHIP-48 program and it's instantly converted to a string,
which is what CHIP-48 wants to interpret.

Amazing. I bet Andreas planned it that way...

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633