[comp.sys.handhelds] checksums ASC->

vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) (09/15/90)

I am very interested in writing programs for the CHIP48 interpreter that
has been posted, but I have a slight problem.  I want to write them in
hex strings and then use ASC-> to convert them into objects that the
CHIP48 interpreter will recognize.  I understand how to start the hex
string (i.e. "C2A20XXXXX where XXXXX is the length), and I know how to generate
the CHIP48 instructions, but I do not know how to compute the checksum to
place at the end of the string.  Can anyone help me with this!!
                                                   _____        _______
*********************************    HP48SX       / ___ \      /__    (\
*                               * .----------.    ||   ||     /( _)  z) \
* Paul Vervalin                 * |]]]]]]].-.|    ||___||    |. V__ (_ \/|
*                               * |]]]]]]]| ||    \_____/    |   ( ) ) | |
* vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM  * |]]]]]]]| ||   .-------.   [   |/  (_/ |
*                               * |]]]]]]]`-']---[ AMIGA ]__/ \  `.     /
********************************* `----------'   `-------'     \_______/

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (09/17/90)

In article <363@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM>, vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) writes:
> I am very interested in writing programs for the CHIP48 interpreter that
> has been posted, but I have a slight problem.  I want to write them in
> hex strings and then use ASC-> to convert them into objects that the
> CHIP48 interpreter will recognize.  I understand how to start the hex
> string (i.e. "C2A20XXXXX where XXXXX is the length), and I know how to generate
> the CHIP48 instructions, but I do not know how to compute the checksum to
> place at the end of the string.  Can anyone help me with this!!

This is really a lot of extra work. There are two things to keep in mind:

- CHIP-48 interprets a string

- A binary file downloaded to the HP-48 that does not have the correct header
  will be stored into a string.

The simplest way to generate CHIP-48 code is therefore to simply build
a binary file containing the code and download that code to the calculator.
I've been doing that from the CP/M machine (so far, I've written the infamous
15 puzzle, which I'll post as soon as I get over to a UNIX box to UUENCODE
it) and it works just fine.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321