[comp.sys.handhelds] Display offset in CHIP48 and BRIX w

kcsa@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/15/90)

    I downloaded CHIP-48 (and BRIX) and had the screen offset problem.
Ihave revision D ROMs, so I thought nothing of it.  Later, I was playing
with the memory scanner and assembly language.  After failing to do anything
useful (I was NOT even TRYING to fix CHIP-48), I reset the calculator
(ON and C), and the next time I ran the program, everything was fine.
What's up??

	Matt Brown
	kcsa@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

kaufman@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Michael L. Kaufman) (09/15/90)

In article <16800003@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kcsa@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>    I downloaded CHIP-48 (and BRIX) and had the screen offset problem.
>Ihave revision D ROMs, so I thought nothing of it.  Later, I was playing

In reading the various posts here I have noticed that some revision As Bs Cs
and Ds work, and some don't.  Therefore, what I am wondering is, maybe the
probelm has something to do with the way the flags are set, or maybe which
dir the CHIP program is in, or something like that.  Could the author of CHIP
upload the vals for his flags, where he has the program, etc etc.  On my system
the program worked once (although with a shifted screen) and now will show the
screen, but when I hit a key, the middle disapears and it never sends a ball.
Also maybe upload the chksum/bytes for the two objects.

Michael

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (09/17/90)

kcsa@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>    I downloaded CHIP-48 (and BRIX) and had the screen offset problem.
>Ihave revision D ROMs, so I thought nothing of it.  Later, I was playing
>with the memory scanner and assembly language.  After failing to do anything
>useful (I was NOT even TRYING to fix CHIP-48), I reset the calculator
>(ON and C), and the next time I ran the program, everything was fine.
>What's up??

I ran the CHIP48 program (with BRIX) on my HP48 and got the screen
offset problem as well.  I had no luck getting the ON-C reset to
correct the display.  The odd thing about my experiences is that I
have a revision *A* machine!  I therefore don't think the problems are
revision-related, but rather are actual bugs in the programming.

Even with the bugs, I am impressed with the CHIP48 program.  BRIX runs
at a nice, respectable speed compared to games written in RPL.  If
CHIP48 becomes more stable, I will try my hand at a game or two.

					.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Dad, don't give in to mob mentality!"
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene                                -- Bart Simpson

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:
>I ran the CHIP48 program (with BRIX) on my HP48 and got the screen
>offset problem as well.  I had no luck getting the ON-C reset to
>correct the display.  The odd thing about my experiences is that I
>have a revision *A* machine!  I therefore don't think the problems are
>revision-related, but rather are actual bugs in the programming.

Thanks to a user "whelan" somewhere in Hawaii (I'd like to be there
right now myself ;-), I discovered one of the problems affecting the
CHIP48 display problems.  Apparently, having any sort of *library*
(from a hardware card or from a software port) will move the screen
RAM.  I have one system library permanently installed in software,
which was the source of my problems.  Once I detached *and* removed it
completely from memory, the display anomaly cleared up.

By the way, besides having the screen shifted over, I am seeing one
other screen-related problem.  With a library attached, when CHIP48 is
terminated via the backspace key it does *not* restore the normal
screen.  Instead, it leaves the CHIP48 screen behind with some extra
garbage written to it.

Amazingly enough, I have had no problems with corrupted memory.  ON-C
also seems to always clear up the junk left behind from CHIP48.

					.oO Chris Oo.