[comp.sys.handhelds] kermit woes

nelson@ (Matt Nelson) (09/18/90)

ive seen many a post about problems with kermitting with the 48sx, but
haven't been paying too much attention to them (i just got my 48 last
fri).  so here goes:  when i try to do any sort of transfer to our VAX/VMS
machine, i get a %KERMIT32-(?)-PROTOCOL ERROR (i cant remember the vmese
syntax at the moment :).  does anybody have the quick answer to fix this?
do i just need to play with the (many) parameters in kermit-32?  off-hand,
a protocol error seems rather serious ;^)  fyi, i have a rev. E machine.

any info is mucho welcomed.  thanx in advance,  -matt

nelson@ (Matt Nelson) (09/20/90)

  ok, im getting a little discouraged.  i have been trying to get the 48sx
kermit to work with our VAX/VMS system, and have found that i can do all of
the 48->VAX transfers i want to, but as soon as i try a VAX->48, i get a
'protocol error' from the VAX.  i tried calling the HP calculator support
number, but the people on the other side had never heard of a 'vax' or a
'vms' (!); i.e. they were no help.  surely there is somebody out there who
can help me!  by the way, i have tried transfers on our DECstation ultrix
machine, and dont even get THAT far; after ~2 packets, it retries until it
dies.
  i have kermitted many hundreds of megabytes in the last half-decade or so,
and have never seen these types of problems.  the worst part is that i/o is
one of the few reasons i did the 28s->48sx upgrade!

  as usual, much thanx in advance for any help...   -matt
                                                     nelson@psroot.ps.uci.edu

lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Boerjeson @ KTH/LNE, The Royal Inst. of Tech.) (09/20/90)

In article <26F7A7B7.8651@orion.oac.uci.edu>, nelson@ (Matt Nelson) writes:

>  ok, im getting a little discouraged.  i have been trying to get the 48sx
>kermit to work with our VAX/VMS system, and have found that i can do all of
>the 48->VAX transfers i want to, but as soon as i try a VAX->48, i get a
>'protocol error' from the VAX.  i tried calling the HP calculator support
>number, but the people on the other side had never heard of a 'vax' or a
>'vms' (!); i.e. they were no help.  surely there is somebody out there who
>can help me!  by the way, i have tried transfers on our DECstation ultrix
>machine, and dont even get THAT far; after ~2 packets, it retries until it
>dies.
>  i have kermitted many hundreds of megabytes in the last half-decade or so,
>and have never seen these types of problems.  the worst part is that i/o is
>one of the few reasons i did the 28s->48sx upgrade!
>
>  as usual, much thanx in advance for any help...   -matt
>                                                     nelson@psroot.ps.uci.edu

If you are using KERMIT-32 there is an error in the negotiation of the
8-bit quote character. I have a working version, but if you want it you
must mail me and tell me in what version you would like to have the patch
(Bliss source, Macro source, or binaries (in what form?)) You can work around
the problem by using 7-bit transfer mode.

!++
! Lennart Boerjeson, System Manager
! School of Electrical Engineering
! Royal Institute of Technology
! S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
! tel: int+46-8-7907814
! Internet: lennartb@lne.kth.se
!--

edp@ipl31.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) (09/20/90)

I also kept getting a protocol error, using VMS Kermit.  I switched to C Kermit,
and that went away; I can do ASCII transfers easily, although binary transfers
still fail, probably because C Kermit insists upon sending the length of the VMS
file used to store the binary object, rather than the length it originally
received from the 48.

Try other Kermits (as well as the suggestion another poster made to try 7-bit
mode).  If you can't find a version that works, send me mail; I'll see if I can
get a version of C Kermit to you.

				-- edp

nelson@ (Matt Nelson) (09/21/90)

In article <15474@shlump.nac.dec.com> edp@ipl31.enet.dec.com (Eric Postpischil (Always mount a scratch monkey.)) writes:
>I also kept getting a protocol error, using VMS Kermit.  I switched to C Kermit,
>and that went away; I can do ASCII transfers easily, although binary transfers
>still fail, probably because C Kermit insists upon sending the length of the VMS
>file used to store the binary object, rather than the length it originally
>received from the 48.
>
>Try other Kermits (as well as the suggestion another poster made to try 7-bit
>mode).  If you can't find a version that works, send me mail; I'll see if I can
>get a version of C Kermit to you.
>

>				-- edp

  i know this might sound like an ignorant question, but lets face it...
  i'm ignorant.  here goes...

  how does one get into '7-bit mode' on kermit-32?  will this confuse the 48?

  thanx.   matt

lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Boerjeson @ KTH/LNE, The Royal Inst. of Tech.) (09/21/90)

In article <26F91A5E.20095@orion.oac.uci.edu>, nelson@ (Matt Nelson) writes:
> [...deleted...]
>  i know this might sound like an ignorant question, but lets face it...
>  i'm ignorant.  here goes...
>
>  how does one get into '7-bit mode' on kermit-32?  will this confuse the 48?
>
>  thanx.   matt

On the Vax: Say SET PARITY SPACE to Kermit-32.
On the 48:  Set parity = space in the IO SETUP menu.

!++