[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-48SX chip.zip and pubdom.zip

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/18/90)

I have just uploaded the files chip.zip and pubdom.zip to the directory
"new/hp48sx" on gmuvax2.gmu.edu (129.174.1.8) and to the directory "pub"
on hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com (15.255.72.15).  I will post another note if and
when I succeed in uploading to funic.funet.fi and/or wuarchive.wustl.edu.
The anonymous ftp site calvin.stanford.edu no longer allows access to
its HP-48SX archives, apparently because Andrew Zimmer was not pleased
with the Equation Library promo (see the file "hp48archive" there for a
complete list of reasons).

chip.zip and pubdom.zip are from Jake Schwartz and contain many many
goodies for the HP-48SX.  I haven't had a chance to look through it all
yet, so perhaps Jake can post of summary of what's there.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/19/90)

chip.zip and pubdom.zip is now available at funic.funet.fi (also known as
nic.funet.fi) in the directory pub/misc/hp48sx.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (09/21/90)

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>chip.zip and pubdom.zip are from Jake Schwartz and contain many many
      ^^^            ^^^
>goodies for the HP-48SX.

>Mark Adler
>madler@piglet.caltech.edu

Mark, how about using a slightly more standard archiver next time?  My Sun
doesn't speak zip yet.  If anyone can point me to a UNIX unzipper, I'd
appreciate it, but until then, try to use zoo or lharc.  As far as I know,
these formats are available on most platforms.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/23/90)

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) requests:

>> Mark, how about using a slightly more standard archiver next time?  My Sun
>> doesn't speak zip yet.  If anyone can point me to a UNIX unzipper, I'd
>> appreciate it, but until then, try to use zoo or lharc.  As far as I know,
>> these formats are available on most platforms.

A UNIX unzip is available via anonymous ftp from simtel20.army.mil in
the directory pd3:<misc.unix> (yes, you have to type all that after the
cd) as UNZIP310.TAR-Z, which you would rename on your Unix system to
unzip310.tar.Z.  It works on all flavors of Sun's and a vast number of
other systems.  If you get it to work on a system that is not listed in
the makefile, please let me know which system in the makefile you used
and what system that works on.

Neither zip, zoo, nor lharc are commonly found on Unix systems, which is
why I usually post such things in both .zip and .tar.Z formats, but I was
a bit lazy this time, and I got it in zip format to begin with.  The
maintainer at wuarchive.wustl.edu has decided instead of making my upload
public (chip.zip and pubdom.zip) to pull apart the files and put the
individual programs in appropriate subdirectories.  I will also reupload
them both in .tar.Z format.

And by the way, lharc is horribly slow and not as good zip's implosion.
A Unix zip is in the works.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (09/23/90)

Please use the compress file format whenever possible. I know there
is a problem, as this program will only pack one file per archive,
but it is the most widely available file compressor.

If you need to create a multi-file archive, then please use ZOO, as
this program is also available on a very big range of platforms.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

writes:

>> Please use the compress file format whenever possible. I know there
>> is a problem, as this program will only pack one file per archive,
>> but it is the most widely available file compressor.

It's not a problem---you just use tar to make one file out of several files
and directories and then use compress on that.  The standard suffix is
.tar.Z.  This is the way nearly everything is compressed on ftp sites with
Unix software.

>> If you need to create a multi-file archive, then please use ZOO, as
>> this program is also available on a very big range of platforms.

"Available" means you have to find it and get it, whereas tar and compress
are already there on Unix systems.  There is no compresser/archiver that
comes with DOS for PC's, but I just go on the (incorrect) assumption that
everyone has Phil Katz's excellent ZIP and UNZIP.  Also, unzip is "available"
for Unix and soon zip will be too.

I have uploaded chip.tar.Z and pubdom.tar.Z to gmuvax2.gmu.edu in new/hp48sx
and to hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com in pub.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (09/23/90)

In article <1990Sep22.235856.8106@nntp-server.caltech.edu> madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>Povl H. Pedersen, hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer)
>writes:
>
>>> If you need to create a multi-file archive, then please use ZOO, as
>>> this program is also available on a very big range of platforms.
>
>"Available" means you have to find it and get it, whereas tar and compress
>are already there on Unix systems.  There is no compresser/archiver that
>comes with DOS for PC's, but I just go on the (incorrect) assumption that
>everyone has Phil Katz's excellent ZIP and UNZIP.  Also, unzip is "available"
>for Unix and soon zip will be too.

A couple of comments on this.  For one, there is a program called booz
which is very portable and which extracts zoo archives.  It is a small
package in C and easier to compile than the full zoo package.  It lists
and extracts zoo archives, but does not create or modify them.

There are several compress programs for MS-DOS.  The MKS compress only
supports 14 bits, but I have a couple of 16 bit compresses that work
fine.  There is also a very small zcat extractor, but I haven't tried it
since compress works (but I have source).

If anyone needs source for booz or zcat, or the DOS compress.exe
program, send mail to bill@biomel.uucp.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

horlache@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ullrich Horlacher) (09/24/90)

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>"Available" means you have to find it and get it, whereas tar and compress
>are already there on Unix systems.  There is no compresser/archiver that
>comes with DOS for PC's, but I just go on the (incorrect) assumption that
>everyone has Phil Katz's excellent ZIP and UNZIP.  Also, unzip is "available"
>for Unix and soon zip will be too.

And what about people with other operating systems?? We (university of ulm)
don't have access to UNIX, all our computers are VAX/VMS. There are other
computer centres with the same problem: NOS/VE VM/CMS etc..

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
    this mail came from Framstag!      |   framstag@rz.uni-ulm.de
 (sometimes known as Ulli Horlacher)   |   orakel@rz.uni-ulm.dbp.de
 University of Ulm/Danube,   Germany   |   orakel@dulruu51.bitnet
 "Waiting for the prompt" -Marillion   |   framstag@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep23.194329.23673@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> horlache@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ullrich Horlacher) writes:
>And what about people with other operating systems?? We (university of ulm)
>don't have access to UNIX, all our computers are VAX/VMS. There are other
>computer centres with the same problem: NOS/VE VM/CMS etc..

I also often uses a VAX/VMS machine, but we have recently got a lot
of UNIX utilities available, including tar and compress. They were
ported shortly after we got the GNU C compiler.

But if you ever has to download software to your HP48sx, then you
need access to a serial port and kermit. Kermit will almost surely
need a C-compiler to transfered to the machine you are using, and
thus it is also possible to port UNIX utilities. Another aspect is
the serial port, how many users can access the serial port on the
university mainframe ?

When we consider which compression routine to use, we must think of
the users which will get the stuff in the last end. And they will
use PC, Macintosh or Amiga for the largest part. I guess that more
than 80% percent uses one of these machines for downloading to their
HP48sx.

madler@pooh.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (09/24/90)

horlache@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ullrich Horlacher) wonders:

>> And what about people with other operating systems?? We (university of ulm)
>> don't have access to UNIX, all our computers are VAX/VMS. There are other
>> computer centres with the same problem: NOS/VE VM/CMS etc..

There are unzip's available for VAX/VMS and IBM VM/CMS.  As for those who
have NOS/VE (whatever that is), they have my sincerest sympathies.  As far as
pubdom.zip and chip.zip are concerned, the fellow at wuarchive.wustl.edu is
breaking them down and putting the files in appropriate directories as just
files---not compressed, tared, zipped, arced, lharced, zooed, encrypted, or
any other mathematical operation besides the identity transformation.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

nelson@ (Matt Nelson) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep23.220759.8137@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>In article <1990Sep23.194329.23673@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> horlache@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ullrich Horlacher) writes:

(stuff deleted)

>But if you ever has to download software to your HP48sx, then you
>need access to a serial port and kermit. Kermit will almost surely
>need a C-compiler to transfered to the machine you are using, and
>thus it is also possible to port UNIX utilities. Another aspect is
>the serial port, how many users can access the serial port on the
>university mainframe ?

  if you got vms, then you got kermit (but ya gotta use space parity :),
and if you got a terminal then you have access to a serial port.  just
get into kermit on the vax, issue a send (receive) command, then unplug
the terminal line, plug it into the 48 and issue the receive (send) command.
it works like a charm, especially if you have an a/b switch hooked up.  i
do it all the time.

-matt nelson (nelson@psroot.ps.uci.edu)

honp9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep22.235856.8106@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:
> Povl H. Pedersen, hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer)
> writes:
>
>>> Please use the compress file format whenever possible. I know there
>>> is a problem, as this program will only pack one file per archive,
>>> but it is the most widely available file compressor.
>
> It's not a problem---you just use tar to make one file out of several files
> and directories and then use compress on that.  The standard suffix is
> ..tar.Z.  This is the way nearly everything is compressed on ftp sites with
> Unix software.
>
>>> If you need to create a multi-file archive, then please use ZOO, as
>>> this program is also available on a very big range of platforms.

[Deleted]

> I have uploaded chip.tar.Z and pubdom.tar.Z to gmuvax2.gmu.edu in new/hp48sx
> and to hpcvaaz.cv.hp.com in pub.

Wonderful.  So now a user of a filesystem that doesn't like multiple periods in
filenames (like VMS and MSDOS) will have problems.

ZOO gives reasonable compression and is pretty much universally available.  You
don't have to go thruogh multiple steps to get the files extracted.  And
besides, Tar and Compress aren't very prevalent on personal computers, where
most of the HP48 hookups are anyway.

--
\/ Jason L. Tibbitts III     // | THEnet: {George|Jane|Elroy|Judy}::HONP9
/\/"Blob Shop Programmers:  //  | SesquiNet, Telnet, etc: HONP9@JETSON.uh.edu