[comp.sys.handhelds] Regarding releasing HP48 O.S. internals

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (10/01/90)

Tapani Tarvainen  writes:

> One possibility ....would be to release the stuff like the 41 internals
>were, on NOMAS basis (NOt MAnufacturer Supported), if suitable means of
>distribution could be found (alas, there is no world-wide users'
>club anymore such as PPC then was; perhaps we should establish
>a joint organization of various local/national clubs to handle this
>kind of things?).  I at least would be happy to get the development
>tools even if they only run on HP workstations :-).  (Hey, HP,
>haven't you considered how that could boost your workstation sales?!)

This seems like something right up EduCalc's alley. I think they'd be a
great vehicle for this kind of information. They could even make some
money on it at the same time.

Also, with regard to the release of commented operating system internals,
as done with the HP71B.....does anyone remember the size of that multi-
volume document? We're talking more than a thousand pages. Then - consider
that the ROM of the HP48SX is FOUR TIMES the size of that of the 71 - can
anyone fathom what a job that would be to get it printed for mass dis-
tribution? Even if they only printed a few dozen, I suspect that the
printing cost might reach a couple of hundred dollars apiece.  All kidding
aside, this would be en excellent document for a CD ROM.

Jake Schwartz