[comp.sys.handhelds] Eq. Lib. Multiple Eq. Solver --> junk?

a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) (09/29/90)

This seems like a very simple question, but I have tried for the last 2 days to
get my 48SX w/ Equation Card (& Multiple Equation Solver) to solve a
simultaneous equation.  I can't get the thing to work.

simple example:

  'A':  '1*X+2*Y=3'
  'B':  '4*X-5*Y=6'
  'EQ' { A B }

   Ok, the correct solution is X=27/13, Y=6/13.

Now, the multiple equation solver will not solve for either X or Y (unless one
of the two variables is know).

Sure, it's easy to solve it by hand.  Maybe even rearrange equation 'A' to be
Y=f(X).

But it gets harder to do when the 2 eqation with 2 unknows are like this:

  'A':  '1*SIN(X)+2*COS(Y)=3'
  'B':  '4*SIN(Y)-5*COS(X)=6'
  'EQ': { A B }

(well, Ok, it's still not too hard to rearrange, but you know what I mean)

So, any HP gods out there know how to solve simultaneous equations (on the HP
that is)?

--------------------------------
George Lin
a309@mindlink
uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!George_Lin

frechett@boulder.Colorado.EDU (-=Runaway Daemon=-) (09/30/90)

In article <3343@mindlink.UUCP> a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) writes:
>This seems like a very simple question, but I have tried for the last 2 days to
>get my 48SX w/ Equation Card (& Multiple Equation Solver) to solve a
>simultaneous equation.  I can't get the thing to work.
>simple example:
>
>  'A':  '1*X+2*Y=3'
>  'B':  '4*X-5*Y=6'
>  'EQ' { A B }

Simple solution for this problem.  I have been doing these for the last
week with great success.  Use the matrix writer.  Make these two matrixes.
[3 6]
[[1 2]
 [4 -5]]
And then simple hit /
and boom it gives you
[2.07692307692
.461538461538]
Do a 2D to dump to stack... (OBJ-> works too  ;)
then ->Q SWAP ->Q SWAP and I now have
'27/13'
'6/13'
 Slick as sh*t.  I have been hashing through matrixes in circuits and have
managed to do a few good 6 X 6.
>   Ok, the correct solution is X=27/13, Y=6/13.
yep

>But it gets harder to do when the 2 eqation with 2 unknows are like this:
Yes and I Don't know what to do with this one because you can only input
numeric values into the matrix writer.

>  'A':  '1*SIN(X)+2*COS(Y)=3'
>  'B':  '4*SIN(Y)-5*COS(X)=6'
>  'EQ': { A B }
>
>(well, Ok, it's still not too hard to rearrange, but you know what I mean)
>
>So, any HP gods out there know how to solve simultaneous equations (on the HP
>that is)?
I have not run into this type of problem but I would still be interested in the
solution.  Fun fun fun...

>--------------------------------
>George Lin
>a309@mindlink
>uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!George_Lin

	ian

--

-=Runaway Daemon=-

bob@dolores.Stanford.EDU (Bob Lodenkamper) (10/01/90)

A question was asked about solving simultaneous equations with the
multiple equation solver.

The answer - you can't.  The multiple equation solver solves a set of
related equations one at a time, for one variable at a time.  This is
why there is considerable redundancy in the equation library.

- Bob

akcs.wiser1@hpcvbbs.UUCP (steven lee wiser) (10/05/90)

Yes you can solve these things if you write the correct program for it.
The Newton-Raphson technique is a well known solution to multi-nonlinear
simu equations. I have written one and it was written up in the "Fourty
Eight Forum".  I've tried to upload it here but without success, so I am
sorry about that.
Steve Wiser
Richmond, Va