[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48 serial cable

peraino@gmu90x.gmu.edu (peraino) (03/14/90)

>From sterling@cbmvax Fri Mar  9 09:47:01 1990
>

>  I called HP Service and get the following info... use it at your own risk!
>
>  Pin       Function                RS-232 equiv
>    1       Chassis Ground          pin 1
>    2       Txd                     pin 2
>    3       Rxd                     pin 3
>    4       Signal Ground           pin 7

     This got me to wondering; The serial interface (cable) was designed
for going from hp48 to a pc, mac, etc. Basically, serial to serial.
This implies that what HP is selling is a null-modem cable with pins
2 & 3 reversed on the other end. This would mean that you CANNOT
use HP's cable to go from the 48 to a real modem. Anybody have any info.
on this?

> Rick Sterling                 Commodore Technology Group       (215)-431-9275
> Test Engineering              UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

       Bob Peraino                   UUCP    : uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!peraino
 George Mason University             INTERNET: peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu
UCIS, Thompson Hall, rm 2 <-         BITNET  : peraino@gmuvax
  4400 University Drive     \        PHONE   : (703)-323-2549
   Fairfax, VA  22030        \- Yeah, they put us in the basement, too.

smithj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Jeremy Smith) (03/14/90)

> From: peraino@gmu90x.gmu.edu (peraino)
>
> This implies that what HP is selling is a null-modem cable with pins
> 2 & 3 reversed on the other end. This would mean that you CANNOT
> use HP's cable to go from the 48 to a real modem. Anybody have any info.

	Simply plug in another null-modem cable, or anything that
essentially switches lines 2 & 3 back again!
	I have tried this and managed to get my modem data light to light
up (i.e. stuff was getting through).

ge@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (03/15/90)

peraino@gmu90x.gmu.edu (peraino) writes:

>>From sterling@cbmvax Fri Mar  9 09:47:01 1990
>>

>>  I called HP Service and get the following info... use it at your own risk!
>>
>>  Pin       Function                RS-232 equiv
>>    1       Chassis Ground          pin 1
>>    2       Txd                     pin 2
>>    3       Rxd                     pin 3
>>    4       Signal Ground           pin 7

>     This got me to wondering; The serial interface (cable) was designed
>for going from hp48 to a pc, mac, etc. Basically, serial to serial.
>This implies that what HP is selling is a null-modem cable with pins
>2 & 3 reversed on the other end. This would mean that you CANNOT
>use HP's cable to go from the 48 to a real modem. Anybody have any info.
>on this?

You can do it, but it needs a weird conversion plug. You need to set the
modem to ignore all handshaking, but that's all. I did this for a comparable
setup, using a Z88-PC cable and this conversion plug, a male-to-male
null-modem (technically it's not a nullmodem because the handshake lines
are connected in a weird way. I'll post the 'schematic' tomorrow.

Ge' Weijers
Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1
6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands              tel. +3180612483 (UTC-2)

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (03/27/90)

Could someone who has hacked up a serial cable for their 48 send me
  a pinout for the hp's serial port?  I'd like to do it, too -
  I'm pretty sure hp's charging substantially more than the <$10 in
  parts it will cost to make one.

Thanks!

=====   Bill Gribble           Internet: bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu =====
=====   Harvey Mudd College              wgribble@hmcvax.claremont.edu  =====
=====   Claremont, CA 91711    Bitnet:   wgribble@hmcvax.bitnet         =====
=====   (714) 621-8000 x2045                                            =====

rhelps@yoda.byu.edu (03/28/90)

>Could someone who has hacked up a serial cable for their 48 send me
>  a pinout for the hp's serial port?  I'd like to do it, too -
>  a pinout for the hp's serial port?  I'd like to do it, too -
>  parts it will cost to make one.

Here it is.  But first a disclaimer.  Hewlett Packard will not support
home-made connections and niether will I.  If you try this you accept
ALL risks of possible damage

Pin numbering (unofficial).  Lay the calculator on the table and look into the
port.  Number the pins 1-4 from left to right.  Pin number 4 is closest
to the IR leds.

9 pin AT style RS232 connector.       HP connector
     2  (Rx)                              2
     3  (Tx)                              3
     5  (Gnd)                             4
     -----                                1 (Chassis ground ??)
I also shorted pins 1, 6, 7, and 8 on the nine pin connector.  I'm not sure
if this is strictly necessary but it works.

The most difficult job is finding suitable connectors for the HP plug.
They are neither standard size nor standard spacing.  I found some
slip-on connections at my local electronic supply store that
work well.  I had to squeeze them a little with pliers to get a tight fit
and I used Heat-shrink tubing to insulate them and provide them with rigidity.
Whatever you use BE GENTLE.  If you make a mistake you will have an expensive
repair job on your hands - not to mention the trauma of being separated
from your calculator for awhile.  One consolation though, The owners manual at
the back implies that if you accidentally short some pins no damage will
result.

The Kermit transfer protocol works well.  I use Procomm which is available
as shareware on many bulletin boards.  Just use standard upload and
download procedures and select Kermit as the protocol.

This cable works with my own programs as well as those on the HP bulletin
board.  I had a lot of trouble initially and thought it was the cable
but it turned out to be the XMODEM corrupted files discussed earlier on this
network.

erakah@tnetxa.ericsson.se (10/05/90)

Is there anyone who can explain to me how the serial cable to the HP48SX
is connected?