[comp.sys.handhelds] Apple II <-> HP48

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (10/09/90)

Someone had a question a while back about connecting an Apple II to the
HP48.
Our Macs at work have DB9 rs232 ports instead of whatever Apple uses.
I bought a surplus Apple II modem cable today and successfully used it
with my homebrew 48 cable.  The Apple II cable and the HP48 pc cable
with the 9 to 25 pin adapter should also work.  A null modem adapter
may or may not also be required.  The Apple II cable had a 9 pin male
DB9 and a 25 pin male DB25.  Most pins were missing, but the required
pins were there.
John Serafin
jpser@cup.portal.com
(as to Kermit for the Apple II, beats me)

In article <34677@cup.portal.com> jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) writes:
>Someone had a question a while back about connecting an Apple II to the
>HP48.
>Our Macs at work have DB9 rs232 ports instead of whatever Apple uses.
>I bought a surplus Apple II modem cable today and successfully used it
>with my homebrew 48 cable.  The Apple II cable and the HP48 pc cable
>with the 9 to 25 pin adapter should also work.  A null modem adapter
>may or may not also be required.  The Apple II cable had a 9 pin male
>DB9 and a 25 pin male DB25.  Most pins were missing, but the required
>pins were there.
>John Serafin
>jpser@cup.portal.com
>(as to Kermit for the Apple II, beats me)

The Apple IIgs and Apple IIc Plus both have the same serial connector as the
Mac Plus (SE, SE/30, II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, IIfx) and the "Mac" cable works
just fine with those machines, to my knowledge.  The IIc has a weird five-pin
serial port that will need some kind of transmogrifier, and the IIe and II+
both take serial cards that usually have DB-25 connectors - Apple sells
transmogrifers for those to peripherals with 8-pin connectors, but not
transmogrifiers to convert the connector itself.  Other people make them,
though.

There is a version of Kermit (3.86) for the Apple II that is available
free - check comp.binaries.apple2 or with Columbia University.  It's also
available in many college bookstores.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

jpser@cup.portal.com (John Paul Serafin) (10/10/90)

I don't know which (presumably old) Apple product used a DB9 connector
for the serial port, but the cable has the Apple logo molded into the
connector shell.
Today I tried using this cable and the HP48 ibm pc cable.  A null modem
adapter was required.
John Serafin
jpser@cup.portal.com