[comp.sys.handhelds] The HP 48 Programmer's To

nick_reid@f159.n253.fido.oz.au (Nick Reid) (10/10/90)

Original to: bio_zwbb@jhunix.hcf.jhu.e
In a message to All <27 Sep 90 12:40:00> bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.E wrote:

 bi> Further, they are (quite reasonably, IMHO) loathe to give away their
 bi> hard-earned secrets to competitors who, with the ROM code in hand, could
 bi> crank out clones quite cheaply. Just
 bi> look at what happened to the IBM PC.
 bi> So, it makes perfectly good business sense for HP to withhold their code
 bi> and development tools.

 bi> it is a little silly that we have to
 bi> depend on good folk like Gariepy and Grevelle to "reverse engineer" the
 bi> system for us, when all the info we need resides in a set of manuals and
 bi> some computer files in Corvallis.

 bi> It would be *great* if HP would sell a
 bi> software developer's package, consisting of the commented ROM code and
 bi> whatever development tools they have on hand. But doing so would make it
 bi> easy for the clone-makers to undercut
 bi> HP's market position, I would guess,
 bi> so this seems bloody unlikely. Perhaps there are legal and/or technical
 bi> means by which HP could release the information *and* protect their
 bi> position, but I'm neither a lawyer nor
 bi> an EE, so I can't say. I just hope
 bi> that people at HP are at least asking themselves these questions.

It's actually simpler than you suppose.  _In_principle_ HP are generally quite
happy to make the information you seek available (most of what they really need
to protect being covered by patent anyway) as they did with the HP-71, provided
that it does not COST them an arm and a leg.  However and in fact, while it is
true that all the information you want to see released is indeed sitting on
workstations in HP's Corvallis plant, it is also true that the cost of
extracting it from their development system and packaging it into a defined and
catalog-priced product that will be meaningful and useful to outside developers
is VERY high, and further, once it is an HP product and thus requiring of "HP
support", the "support" costs get to be ASTRONOMICAL.  Basically, what you want
just costs so much to produce and support that there is no way the relatively
small market for it would be able to return those costs.  HP's natural
commercial response, therefore, is not to produce it.  However, their
alternative response, i.e. to make the information available in other, less
costly ways (e.g. via HP staff who can do partial formatting of the raw data
for publication outside of HP's cost structure, or via user groups, etc, etc)
proceeds apace.....  I agree, all this unnecessary reverse engineering is a
total pain in the neck, so if you could only think of a way to increase the
number of folk who would pay for HP to release the material formally, up to,
say, around even just a quarter of those who purchase the actual calculator, I
think we'd have the problem licked but good.

nick.reid@f159.n253.z2.fidonet.org

--- XRS 3.40+
 * Origin: No Zone - London UK - QMX - @FidoNet (Quick 2:253/159.2)