[comp.sys.handhelds] Trouble with the FM set to ',' on HP48SX

dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) (10/06/90)

I've some trouble when I set the decimal dot to ',' using the
MODES menu FM, function. Maybe this has been reported some time
before and there is a solution for this. My ROM rev. is D.

Mainly I am not able to enter a dot in a string. The dot is always
replaced by a comma even when the string is quoted. Mainly the
problem seems to be that if something contains a dot and is showed
as a dot, internaly the dot is handeld like a comma.

This causes:

	- I am not able to download a file with a '.' (dot) in the
	  filename using the RECVN command (e.g. the PCLPRINT.LIB
	  file that comes with the interface)

	- I am not able to remove the variable (e.g. PCLPRINT.LIB)
	  from a directory using PURGE. If I enter ' and then
	  press the function key in the VAR menu the display shows
	  up 'PCLPRINT.LIB' then pressing PURGE gives the error
	  'Invalid Syntax' and the cursor stands just over the dot,
	  still displaying a dot not a comma

All these problems clear up if I set the FM back to a dot.

Is this ok or is it a bug. Maybe I have not read the right chapter
in the manual. The manual says that the FM, command replaces the
dot by a comma for the decimal delimiter, it does not say that it
substitutes it everywhere.

cu,
dirk
--
..............							  .............
...........							     ..........

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (10/06/90)

In article <1358@dksoft.incom.de> dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:
>I've some trouble when I set the decimal dot to ',' using the
>MODES menu FM, function. Maybe this has been reported some time
>before and there is a solution for this. My ROM rev. is D.
>
>Mainly I am not able to enter a dot in a string. The dot is always
>replaced by a comma even when the string is quoted. Mainly the
>problem seems to be that if something contains a dot and is showed
>as a dot, internaly the dot is handeld like a comma.

I have version E ROMs and the same thing happens. I would call this an
extremely annoying feature or what HP calls an anomaly (let's save the
B-word for times when we want to make the HP guys feel really bad). :-)

Just one more question: When in the "FM," mode, my keyboard doesn't
produce a period, but when in the normal mode, I can't find the ";".
Now where is that character? I just tried it and you can make the
keyboard produce those characters by assigning them to USER mode
keys.

As long as you avoid names with periods, there isn't any real problem.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (10/06/90)

I have also switched back to decimal point instead of the usual european
decimal comma. But it is always possible to reach a specific character,
you can just use their ascii values as listed in volume 2 of the manual.

Povl

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

mike@DRD.Com (Mike Rovak) (10/06/90)

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) wrote:
} In article <1358@dksoft.incom.de> dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:
} >I've some trouble when I set the decimal dot to ',' using the
} >MODES menu FM, function. Maybe this has been reported some time
} >before and there is a solution for this. My ROM rev. is D.
...other stuff deleted
}
} I have version E ROMs and the same thing happens.
...other stuff deleted
} As long as you avoid names with periods, there isn't any real problem.

Page 108 (chapter 6, variables) of the Manual Volume I states that
characters that separate objects cannot be included in names, and
specifically names BOTH comma and period.

Disclaimer: My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
     mike@DRD.Com
     uunet!apctrc!drd!mike

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (10/07/90)

In article <1990Oct6.144403.8736@DRD.Com> mike@DRD.Com (Mike Rovak) writes:
>jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) wrote:
>} In article <1358@dksoft.incom.de> dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:
>} >I've some trouble when I set the decimal dot to ',' using the
>} >MODES menu FM, function. Maybe this has been reported some time
>} >before and there is a solution for this. My ROM rev. is D.
>...other stuff deleted
>}
>} I have version E ROMs and the same thing happens.
>...other stuff deleted
>} As long as you avoid names with periods, there isn't any real problem.
>
>Page 108 (chapter 6, variables) of the Manual Volume I states that
>characters that separate objects cannot be included in names, and
>specifically names BOTH comma and period.
>...signature deleted

Often I get names with a decimal point, also called a period in them.
In some cases even tjhe HP48 will create names with a period in them,
but I am not sure when. I think it is the case when downloading to
an already existing name.

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

jmorriso@ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (10/10/90)

If you think about it, there really isn't any bug or anomaly with the
'.' or ','.
The same happened on my old 28s.

As far as I know, a real number in memory does not have a ',' or '.' in
it anywhere.
That is only when it is displayed. Real numbers in memory are in a form
that has no reletion to how  they are displayed. The sign bit and
exponent and mantissa are all squished in together.
But a name or string is different: If the is a ',' or '.' in a name, it
is REALLY there
(at least in ascii form). Would you like it if a string containing this
text had all its
periods and commas reversed when you flipped the flag that controls
this???

When stuff gets entered at  the command line for a name, it gets parsed
according to the flag,
so thats when the trouble pops up. but then there are lots of 'names'
which can be represented but the interpreter won't like and it will beep
at you. Names like '' and 'C++' can be created and used, but not by
conventional ways.

John Paul Morrison

bson@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Jan Brittenson) (10/14/90)

In article <1990Oct6.074820.18403@santra.uucp>
   jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) writes:

 >>In article <1358@dksoft.incom.de>
      dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) writes:

 >> I've some trouble when I set the decimal dot to ',' using the MODES
 >> menu FM, function. ...a dot in a string.... is always replaced by a
 >> comma

   I have a similar problem. It's with digit groupings. In 2 FIX mode,
the number 1250,00 (with FM, enabled) is displayed as "1.250,00". But
add a unit and the grouping is no longer displayed, e.g.

	1250_USD

will be displayed as

	1250,00_USD

not

	1.250,00_USD

   To me this is most distressing, since it's when dealing with
currencies that I find the grouping to be most useful. (If anyone is
wondering how to set up a unit system for currencies, the escape is
simple: simply define 'USD=1_m' and then define the rest of your
currencies in terms of USD.)

   As to how to type in semicolons, consult page 158 in the Owner's
Manual, Vol I. The information there applies to alpha mode as well.