[comp.sys.handhelds] RESET button on HP-48SX

erikmb@CD.CHALMERS.SE (Erik Bryntse) (10/14/90)

A USE OF THE RESET BUTTON

The RESET button that has been discovered under the top left foot pad (when you turn your 48 upside-down) were not (as i remember) found to be of any use.

I have discovered a use of this button. I was playing around in the memory
scanner and executed (pressing EVAL) a subroutine of the OFF command. And the
calculator turned off alright, BUT when I pressed the ON button to turn it on
again nothing happened. It was dead! When I turned it upside down to take out
the batteries (that seemed the only thing to do), I remembered the little hole
with the mysterious button and tried it. Nothing happened. I tried the ON
button again, and voila! the LCD lighted up.

Of course the memory was empty, but that is ALWAYS to be expected when you play around with your HP!

Erik Bryntse

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (10/15/90)

In article <9010141416.AA15689@cd.chalmers.se> erikmb@CD.CHALMERS.SE (Erik Bryntse) writes:

>I have discovered a use of this button. I was playing around in the memory
>scanner and executed (pressing EVAL) a subroutine of the OFF command. And the
>calculator turned off alright, BUT when I pressed the ON button to turn it on
>again nothing happened. It was dead! When I turned it upside down to take out
>the batteries (that seemed the only thing to do), I remembered the little hole
>with the mysterious button and tried it. Nothing happened. I tried the ON
>button again, and voila! the LCD lighted up.
>
>Of course the memory was empty, but that is ALWAYS to be expected when you
>play around with your HP!

I had better luck:  after accidentally hitting 'poke' instead of 'find', my
  HP went comatose.  on-c wouldn't bring it back, nor would on-a-f.  So
  I pressed the reset button (I had just read about it that day)  and
  voila! A living hp.  BUT my memory was intact!  Joy!

I think I'll try the button, in the future, *before* on-a-f, if it's even
  possible to save memory.

>Erik Bryntse

**   Bill Gribble                     Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA   **
**   bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu   Never heard of it?  You're stupid.   **