[comp.sys.handhelds] HP Solve Card

fred@eagle.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) (10/07/90)

Help Help!

I finally raised the cash to buy a new HP-48, and just in time to get in on
the Oct 15 deadline for the free Solve Library card.  I am planning to buy
from either EduCalc or Elek Tek, but I am not sure how to obtain the required
paperwork to get the card from HP.  Anybody with experience from either
of these two mail-order places want to tell me what they had to do?

Thanks!

R. Mark Adams
Baylor College of Medicine
Department of Cell Biology

fred@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu

ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) (10/13/90)

In article fred@eagle.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) writes:
>I finally raised the cash to buy a new HP-48, and just in time to get in on
>the Oct 15 deadline for the free Solve Library card.  I am planning to buy
>from either EduCalc or Elek Tek, but I am not sure how to obtain the required
>paperwork to get the card from HP.  Anybody with experience from either
>of these two mail-order places want to tell me what they had to do?
>R. Mark Adams
>Baylor College of Medicine
>fred@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu

Well, I got mine at Elek-Tek (in person, not mail order), and they gave me
a coupon when I bought it.  The coupon must be filled out and sent in with
a copy of your receipt and part of your 48 box.  The coupon says that delivery
requires 4-6 weeks.  I assume that they will include a coupon in mail orders
also.

Hope this helps.

PS - I bought mine on 9-30, and my roommate bought one 10-9.  Transferring
files over the infrared is fast and easy.  What a trip!  This thing has more
memory and stores data easier than my first computer (Timex-Sinclair 1000),
which cost almost as much as the 48 by the time I added the 16K memory upgrade.
And the 48 has a nicer keyboard :-)

Where's grumpy old man when you need him?  (Flibble-dee floo!)
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bob Martin		|  ram@tellabs.com	...!uunet!tellab5!ram

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (10/13/90)

To be eligible for the free solve card, you must return the
coupon, receipt copy, and box top POSTMARKED by Oct. 15.
So if you were planning to buy a 48SX because of the free
solve card, it's pretty much too late.
--
John H. Kim                 | (This space to be filled when I
jokim@jarthur.claremont.edu | think of something very clever

cs060212@csusac.csus.edu (Brian Volkoff) (10/14/90)

In article <9096@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) writes:
>To be eligible for the free solve card, you must return the
>coupon, receipt copy, and box top POSTMARKED by Oct. 15.

Wrong!  Your receipt must be dated between 15 August and 15 October.  You don't
need to have it postmarked until 15 November.   (This is according to the
person I talked to at HP, and the coupon they sent me).

fred@eagle.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) (10/14/90)

Ay-eee!!!

Please don't tell me I am too late...I am still waiting for my order, and
I would _hate_ to find out that It won't come soon enough to get the card!
Is there any confirmation/denial of these reports?

R. Mark Adams
fred@mbir.bcm.tmc.edu

jmunkki@hila.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (10/14/90)

In article <9096@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) writes:
>To be eligible for the free solve card, you must return the
>coupon, receipt copy, and box top POSTMARKED by Oct. 15.
>So if you were planning to buy a 48SX because of the free
>solve card, it's pretty much too late.

You should have read the coupon more carefully:

	Envelopes must be postmarked by 11/15/90.  Not redeemable at
	retailer. Offer good only on U.S. purchases made between
	8/15/90 and 10/15/90.

We bought seven calculators and intend to try to get the equation
library card. The Educalc catalog didn't mention any restrictions on
international purchases and we should be eligible since we got the
calculators from the US and we are able to supply a US address for
delivery. If someone at HP knows I'm wrong, please mail me.

Educalc didn't send the coupons with the calculators. I had to ask
for them separately.

I bought myself an equation card and to be honest, I don't think that
it will be of much use to me. The equation library might be useful
sometimes, but it isn't large enough to be really useful. The periodic
table is great, but I'm not interested in chemistry. The constants
might be useful sometimes, but they are definitely not worth $90.

What I need for the HP48SX is a good spreadsheet program. It should
have the speed of the matrix writer and the added capability of
text and formula entry and evaluation. A card like this would be
worth about $100 to me. Most of the notes that I take are at least
somewhat in the form of tables, so a spreadsheet would be nice for
note taking as well as pure spreadsheet use.

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  / Project /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /  STORM  /

jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) (10/14/90)

Oops.  Sorry guys, I goofed.  It is 11/15 for the latest
postmark.  It's hard to read something that small and be
sure.  I hope I didn't panic too many of you.  I assure
you this had absolutely nothing to do with any mafia plot
to increase the sales of Hp calculators or something.
--

ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) (10/16/90)

In article <9096@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) writes:
>To be eligible for the free solve card, you must return the
>coupon, receipt copy, and box top POSTMARKED by Oct. 15.
>So if you were planning to buy a 48SX because of the free
>solve card, it's pretty much too late.

This is incorrect.  The calculator must be PURCHASED by 10-15-90 (i.e. the date
on your receipt.  The completed coupon must be postmarked by 11-15-90.
Hope this helps!

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bob Martin		|  ram@tellabs.com	...!uunet!tellab5!ram

khbsnsr@nmt.edu (Kenneth Brunell) (10/16/90)

In article <9096@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jokim@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (John H. Kim) writes:
>To be eligible for the free solve card, you must return the
>coupon, receipt copy, and box top POSTMARKED by Oct. 15.
>So if you were planning to buy a 48SX because of the free
>solve card, it's pretty much too late.
>--
>John H. Kim

I just sent off the coupon today, and it said that it must be recieved by
November 15.  The recipt must be dated by October 15.

| ' ) /                /  )                   // //  |       Mr. Scott        |
|          <khbsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu>                 |                        |