[comp.sys.handhelds] GROB data, cheap easy cable idea

ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) (10/17/90)

Where can I find a description of what all the hex digits represent in a GROB
definition?  I know they represent some kind of bit pattern, but I can't
figure out how it's organized.

Also, a while back I saw a posting for a do-it-yourself serial cable that used
a hacked up DIP socket for the HP serial connector (I know, the spacing of the
holes is incorrect, but apparently there is no harm in using .1" spacing, you
just bend the HP pins slightly).  I found an easier way was to buy a SIP socket
(20-pin version is $1.50 at Radio Shack), and use diagonal cutters to lop off
a 4 pin section for my cable.  That piece, along with a 25 conductor ribbon
cable w/o connectors, and a DB25 press-on connector ($10.00 total) did the
trick.  Just a little soldering and 30 minutes labor.  Now I can FINALLY
download CHIP48, BRIX, PONG, Saturn Assembler, Tetris, HIDE, .............
Well, you get the idea!  :-)

A happy camper,
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bob Martin		|  ram@tellabs.com	...!uunet!tellab5!ram

nelson@ (Matt Nelson) (10/17/90)

In article <4235@tellab5.tellabs.com> ram@tellabs.com (Bob Martin) writes:
>Where can I find a description of what all the hex digits represent in a GROB
>definition?  I know they represent some kind of bit pattern, but I can't
>figure out how it's organized.

  check out pp. 24-25 of James Donnelly's "The HP 48 Handbook" for a
description of GROB structure, as well as an example of puting together
a picture.  i hesitate to post all of that info, since it is a result
of his work, not mine.  not a bad little book to add to ones library,
i might add.

-matt

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/20/90)

Look in Jim Donnelly's book for the GROB description.  (I used to have it
on disk, but I deleted it....)

Ray